The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Limiting Equine Access To Trails

I have no additional info, just passing it along.

Forward post:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Passing this on- it may set a dangerous precedent... .please share with your trail riding friends,

------------ -------
    ]The City of Fredericksburg, VA owns the 4,232 acre easement along the Rappahannock River to Remington. A general management plan was released yesterday for recreational use of this property. Horses are excluded because, according to this plan, horses cause pollution and erosion. There is plenty of information that disputes this fallacy. James RiverState Park ]ShenandoahRiverSta te Park Shenandoah National Park Phelps Wildlife Management Area, Manassas National Battlefield, Bull RunPark and Lake Anna State Parks all have equestrian trails near waterways without negative impact.

www.riverfriends. org

Click on the link for Public Meeting on Draft Management Plan. When you get to the actual draft plan, page 37 indicates "no horses" on this easement property.

I have used my “snowed-in days” to just happen upon this information about the watershed property general management plan. Many groups were included in making this general management plan; however, no equestrian groups were a part of the planning process. The website provides several ways you can comment on the draft proposal. I urge you to take a few moments to look at the draft plan and provide comments. This stretch of public land is one of the few remaining long stretches of open greenway space still available to the public. Equestrians must act now to be part of this general management plan for the Rappahannock River Watershed. But we must remember to always show equestrians in a positive light.

I will comment at the public meeting on February 17. On behalf of the Battlefield Back Country Horsemen, I will propose a multi-use trail to extend the length of the watershed property. The more equestrians that know about this RappahannockRiver easement and are willing to speak out, the better our chances are for equestrian trails to be included in the general management plan.

Toni Shead

Vice President Battlefield Back Country Horsemen 937-4107
    =

bump - VA folks need to get involved with this

Anyone have an update from yesterday's meeting?

Any more info? I'm in Spotsy
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.