The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Getting rid of tap worms when dog is on Sentinel monthly

Just curious as to if you can use safe-guard 4 along with sentiel. Dog has been on sentinel for just about a year, given monthly. noticed today that she had a tapeworm in the hair surrounding her bottom. When reading the info sheet I noted that Sentinel doesn't cover tapeworms. Is it ok to give safe-guard to cover the tapeworms in addition to the Sentinel? A little hesitant considering that the sentinel covers the whip, round and hookworms as does the safe-guard. Don't want to double dose if it is going to harm her. Thanks in advance for your time and thought!

Rather than give safe-guard, why not go to your vet and pick up some drontal?
    Usually all you need to do is provide a fecal sample and they'll give you the pills.
    Drontal will selectively kill the tapeworms without doubling up on other unnecessary dewormers.

Plus drontal is a one time treatment, you don't have to do a course of it.

FYI there is no oral HW prevention that also gets prevents tapeworms, but Sentinel and Interceptor will get rounds, hooks, and whips, where as Heartgard only gets round and hooks.

Virbac does make a generic heartworm prevention known as Iverhart Max which is supposed to cover for tapeworms as hooks, whips, and rounds.

I stand corrected! Good to know Marshfield, thanks!

Default Tapeworms

Having fought with tapeworms before, a few things I have learned...

Praziquantel is the wormer ingredient of choice. Drontal, and Iverhart max have it. Both require a vet's Rx.
    Jeffers vet supply sells "Tape Worm Tabs" over the counter without a Rx.

Fleas are part of the tapeworm life cycle. One must control the fleas or the dog will be reinfected with tapeworms. Infected Dog and cat Feces also contribute to the problem. Bury the poop !

As somebody who deals with tapes in my older Lab frequently (thanks to eating bunny rabbits), you must remember to treat ALL canine and feline members of your family, or they will just reinfect one another.
    Also, I'm not sure that fecals show tapes, because the vet claimed my dog worm-free, until I told them that I was seeing tape segments on the dog. Then they believed me and gave me the tapeworm pills.
    Cindy

Fecals can show tapes, if given a large enough sample. However statistically they are more often diagnosed by the owners. Most of the time if you call your vet and describe what you're seeing they'll give you drontal without an issue.

Katherine
    Vet Tech