The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Stock up on Ariat paddock boots- NOT the new styles!

I work at a tack shop in northern California and have to share with everyone that the quality of Ariat's paddock boots (and who knows what else...) is sliding down a slippery slope in favor of mass production rather than the craftsmanship that we have come to depend on. Stock up on the older styles of paddock boots while you still can- Cobalt Performer/Devon Pro are being replaced by the inferior Quantum- cheaper leather, less ankle support, lower spur rests, wider ankle and gapping top, and synthetic upper instead of leather upper, cheaper lace hooks (and 1 less in quantity). Those of us with gigantic feet (size 11...) have already been forced to change over. But there are still smaller sizes of the Cobalt available.
    Cobalt isn't the only style they're changing- the Performer Pro III, the Performer (with the zip down the back) are all being phased out and replaced with cheaper leather, a slightly different shape, less support, and overall poor quality. You've noticed all the paddock boots on sale in Dover? Take advantage of it now. No, I don't work for Ariat, and no, I'm not really trying to boost sales, I just don't want everyone to be as unhappy with their paddock boots as some of our customers are... We spend so much time in our paddock boots, so we should be happy and comfortable in them. And don't get me started with their tall boots.........

Along the same lines, can anyone vouch for another company's paddock boots? I had a pair of Ovations once, but they were very thin and soft and wore out quickly. Tredstep? Mountain Horse? I'd love to carry another brand at the store to give the customers some viable options, but it's hard to convince the owner to purchase new "unnecessary" stock when Ariat sells so well, but having customer testimony truly helps. And I really don't want to support the company any more than I have to.

*rachel

Guess I will be going back to custom Dehner paddock shoes. I stopped getting them because the Ariats were nice and lasted almost as long. But I don't wear pleather.

Sounds as though we really will be voting with our feet.

Personally I would recommend blundstones, but they arent for everyone. They are a bit heavier than the ariat, and tho I love them, I know some people that that little bit of extra weight really affected.
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...7/PIC_0491.jpg
    Live, Cherish, and Enjoy every moment.

Bummer, first Dansko stops making paddock boots now this. I recently purchased a pair of Mountain Horse paddock boots and I am VERY happy with them, they are wearing like IRON ( might take a nuclear bomb to destroy these!!) I find them a bit heavier than Ariats but I bought them on close out with the stirrup grip system ( very rigid soles with grooves that fit onto stirrups pads you can buy to keep you from loosing your stirrups) I think that has a LOT to do with their weight. Honestly I have done almost anything you can imagine to this pair of boots, water, snow, mud up over the ankles, lime, and I wear them all day everyday. They come home and get a quick wipe with saddle soap about once a week and look as good as new. They are comfortable ( I personally think they run a bit big and wide just FYI) and look great. I am saving for a pair of their high boots right now and i am HOPING they wear just as well.
    Kim
    If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

thanks for the heads up been debating on whether to wait for my old ariats to die but now will go ahead and grab a pair

I haven't been impressed with Ariat in a long time, I can't imagine they will be cheaper made than now. Are they going to sell them at Wally World???
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I've never been impressed with Ariat's paddock boots. My girls liked them and they were okay for growing kids who had to replace boots frequently.
    As for me (and now daughter #1), Grand Prix makes the paddock boots I LOVE!!
    I have heard rumors that their quality has declined lately too, though I haven't seen evidence of it myself. Daughter #1 got a new pair of GP's in the fall and they're everything I expected them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    I haven't been impressed with Ariat in a long time, I can't imagine they will be cheaper made than now. Are they going to sell them at Wally World???
    Well, they do seem to sell a lot of them at TSC....
    Y'all ain't right!

Bummer, I've liked the Ariat's even though the ones I've bought the last couple of years didn't hold up all that well but they've been the only ones that fit great. Is this going to be the trend for their tall boots too? Please let us know, I'll stock up on a pair or two, they are the only boots that fit without going custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer55 View Post
    Same here.

I have a pair now that's doing OK, but wouldn't buy them (they were a gift *grin*). Prior to this, the last three pairs of Ariats I had were pretty bad (with minimal use, breaking down unusually fast, to put it mildly). I switched to tredstep and was very happy, and when I next need to purchase boots, will probably go to Tredstep again.

And I've mentioned this before, but I'd forgive the quality and try again with Ariat if the customer service person I talked to hadn't tried to tell me it was my fault the boots broke down so fast and that I must have used them too hard (uh, I wasn't even RIDING at the time), and that I should have bought the more expensive model.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I just bought a new pair of Ariats and they didn't seem as good quality as the pair I bought a few years ago. Of course I just thought it was the style (Heritage III). Wish I had just gotten the Devons instead as I don't see these holding up as well as the last pair.

I'm taking notes on the other preferred boots, just in case these need replacing in the near future.

I've been unimpressed with Ariats for at least the past 8 years. They never seemed to last. Leather would crack (I don't take GREAT care of my paddock boots, but good enough that they shouldn't crack), zippers broke, lace holes ripped out. I switched to Mountain Horse. The first pair lasted me 3 years!!! They were a little wider than the Ariats but very comfy. I bought the High Riders 2 years ago and I ADORE them. THE MOST COMFORTABLE TALL BOOTS EVER!! I can ride/teach/coach etc all day and my feet don't hurt. Last winter I got the Fusion Winter paddock boots and noticed the fit was a little bit more narrow, still very comfortable and a little more supportive. This winter I replaced my first pair of Mt Horse paddocks with a second pair. Same fit as the winter paddocks. More narrow, more supportive. I'm really happy where Mt Horse is going with their boots. I'll never go back to Ariats again!

All four pairs of boots have the stirrup control system thing. They give great traction in mud/ice/snow (had lots of practice this winter) and in the stirrup. I don't have the matching stirrup pads because I feel like I would be too locked in.

I used to buy Ariats, but they wore out too quickly; for the past few years I've been using Mountain Horse, and have been much happier with them

AFter geting disgusted with Ariats, I purchased Cavallo Paddock boots off of their website from Germany.

They came with back zips, front lacing, leather-covered elastic gussets over the ankles and luscious leather, SHIPPED in 2 weeks....for a little more than the Ariats were costing me here in Canada. I think I paid about $190.00 US for them and they are just as gorgeous as my tall Cavallo's which I've had for 13 years!

Plus, the even e-mailed me to be sure they fit.

Check it out.

NJR

Ariat is also discontinuing the Cascade workboot. I have worn these for years in my profession. The first pair had vibram type soles and lasted 3 years before the leather finally gave up; and this was with heavy travels through disinfectant footbaths, walking miles each day. The subsequent pairs had a similar-looking soles but it were made out of softer rubber that only lasts a year before I walk through the soles. Tried resoling one pair with Vibram soles and it was $65. Ouch. Will probably go back to my Justin lace up ropers

Anyway, why do companies always kill the golden goose?

Had a pair of Justin Roper (I think) boots that lasted ten years with just one
    resoling. They did have fringed flap at the bottom of the laces but you could
    take it off. Replaced them with a pair of Ariats that I soon gave away--very snug and didn't stretch any. Bought a pair 1/2 size larger and will be giving them away. Can't seem to find anyone (at least on line) that makes a wide
    width paddock...any suggestions?
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Shoot. I know Ariats haven't been as good as they used to be, but I'm so sad to hear they're getting worse. I switched to them after Dansko. It's the soles that I love. Anyone know of a boot brand with similar soles/arches?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Same story for Grand Prix - stay away from these, also.

I haven't worn Ariat paddock boots for years - I was dissatisfied with my last pair and decided to bite the bullet and get a pair of Kroop's zip-up paddocks. Best decision ever.
    http://www.kroopboots.com/

I've had a pair of the Devon Pros (with the Cobalt XR technology) for a few years now and I love them. I recently saw them on sale in a Dover catalog (really, on sale, not like the "sales" they usually have!) and thought about getting another pair, but I haven't yet. Thanks for posting this-- I think I'm going to email Ariat to see if they're truly discontinuing them and order a couple more pairs!
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Thanks for the info - I have several pairs of Mountain Horse boots, and I can attest that the quality is top notch. My MH paddock boots might as well be made off steel. Not only am I quite sure they will last forever, they are very comfortable. I purchased a pair MH winter tall boots (the kind w/ fur lining) this season and they also are extremely well made, comfortable, and most importantly warm. MH has sold me.

BTW - since I love the Ariat comfort, I purchased their insoles for my MH and custom boots.