The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cloth versus Disposable Diapers

I'm 12 pregnant with my first child, and I'm considering using cloth diapers. I just want to talk to parents who have done this!

I've done a fair amount of research, and know the cost advantages, the debate about which is greener, the decreased rate of rash with cloth diapers, and all the basics.

However, I want to hear from people who have been there. I've got questions, but I want your real world practical advice on this subject! Give me some horror stories, give me some feedback!

Did you use cloth or disposable diapers?

ETA: I'm 12 weeks pregnant, not 12 and pregnant... oops!
    Did you start immediately with cloth, then switch to disposable? Or did you go a few weeks with disposable and switch to cloth?

If you used cloth, did you experience a lot of leaks?

If you used cloth, did you use disposables for travel, when the child first came home, or when the baby was sick?

Did you wash your own or use a service?

Major pros and cons you experienced while using cloth and/or disposable diapers?

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by SarEQ View Post
    I'm 12 pregnant with my first child,
    Errr... 12 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by dmalbone View Post
    Errr... 12 weeks?
    Oh man! I thought I edited that but it didn't work!

I'm 24 years old and 12 weeks pregnant. We'd planned on waiting another year or two, but LO decided now was the time!

Big typo!

LOL. I was just going to tiptoe quietly out of the post but couldn't let it go. I'm interested in the responses. From lurking on a bunch of baby boards/forums I'm all for cloth but would like to hear more from people who use/d them.

I can't blame you for not being able to resist, I wouldn't have been able to either!

Come on people, some of you must have an opinion on this!

Ok. Here's a diaper story. Twenty seven years ago when my son was born I was gifted with three months of a diaper service. You had to keep the dirty ones in a large tub and put them out on the porch for pick up overnight.

Some of the neighborhood dogs got into them and when I woke up the next morning they were all gone!! I had to get into my then pitiful VW diesel Rabbit and drive door to door all over town to retrieve the dirty ones. Oh what fun. They were all over everyone's yard. Draped over the bushes. You get the picture.

I stopped the service and switched to disposable. This post serves also as "One of the most destructive things a pet has done" just not MY pet.

Congratulations, SarEQ--

My children are now older, but I did start with cloth diapers with my son He was a premie -- 31 weeks, and tiny and even if I wanted to use disposable, there were no disposable diapers that would fit him.
    I liked the idea of using natural products, I even made my own soaps and lotion, and still do today.
    The cloth diaper seemed the way to go for us. Eventually, I did use disposable diapers when we were out, and yes, it was for the convenience.
    But today, I think the disposable diapers are much better than they used to be.....
    In either case, whether you use cloth or disposable, the key is to keep the skin protected and dry. If you are interested, I can send you a sample of my lotion that moms use as a diaper balm, and on their own growing tummies
    You can check it out here http://www.foresthillsoaps.com/Lotion%20Bars.htm

Susan

I have used both. Disposables are very good for travel, but honestly, once the diapers are bought, cloth is pretty darn cheap. I really liked the diaper wraps (no pins!) and all was very tidy.

Cloth diapers also make great rags when the kids are grown. I have rags that are 18 years old now!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

We tried cloth diapers on my son, but they were so wide in the crotch that they splayed out his little legs and we didn't like it. Disposables were WAY more convenient and easier in the long run.

Try both. You'll get in a groove!

And congratulations!

I was just amazed at how cool some of the cloth diapers are. Most people immediately think giant white cotton cloth with diaper pins. I never expected cute little snap on diaper "lookalikes" with just the washable part in the middle. And they're adorable!

Thanks for all the replies!

Redhorse- I hadn't thought of pets getting into the diapers! We have a lab, and he'd best keep his nose to himself. I can't imagine having to drive door to door to collect the diapers... did you talk to any of the offending owners? I'd have been mortified if my dog did that (although I may laugh about it later).

sbp- Thanks for the offer, but we're living out of the country right now, which would be a long and pricey way to ship a sample! Perhaps I'll take you up on it when we're back in the States- I can't wait to be home! I've bookmarked your page for after we move home (early May).

I do think I want to do cloth diapers, there are a lot of benefits. I'll probably stick with disposables for travel or long days out. Now I just have to pick a brand, or find a service (once we know where we're moving!).

My very good friend uses cloth diapers (and has converted every single one of our friends who have had children). She used the disposables every once in a while for convenience while travelling at first (this was her second child- she used disposables with the first, as she didn't really know about cloth diapers, other than the old-fashioned diaper pin ones), but they gave her little boy such horrible diaper rashes every time that eventually she stopped using them altogether. As far as leaking goes, she actually finds that the cloth diapers don't leak as bad as the disposables (now that he is bigger) did with her first child.

If you would like someone to talk to about them, I'm sure she'd be willing to talk to you more in-depth about them- you can PM me your email address if you'd like, and I can pass it on to her.

SarEQ--
    Please do that--just drop me a line when you get back in the States and I'll send it out!!
    Susan

They still have cloth diapers????????
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

I had twins and used cloth diapers with the wool bio-bottoms diaper wraps. I loved them. Breathed really well, and almost never leaked. We did use disposables for travel and over-night. We lived in LA then and had a diaper service.

[QUOTE=Emryss;4689551]Disposables are very good for travel, but honestly, once the diapers are bought, cloth is pretty darn cheap. I really liked the diaper wraps (no pins!) and all was very tidy.[QUOTE]

I had 3 in diapers so you bet I used cloth. Washed em every other day. Dumped in pail and diapers, spun them out in the washer, and washed. No problems. Not easy to do on trips tho...
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Murieics, you have a PM.

Bank of Dad, there are a lot of different cloth diapers out there! I know they are different than they used to be.

http://www.google.com/products?clien...ed=0CCAQrQQwAg

Thank you everyone for all the advice!

These are the diaper wraps that we used:

http://www.nanasnaturaldiapers.com/

The diaper service provided the diapers themselves.

With twins, we were throwing so much trash away that it just killed us. That's why we went with cloth.

Okay, I feel silly even asking BUT I don't have kids of my own (a horde of nieces and nephews but none of them used cloth diapers... so here it is...

How do you get them clean? I get the peed ones you can toss in the washer, but what about the poopy ones? You can't put poop in your washer... or can you?

*off to hide my really red face*

Scrape it off/ pop it off (the poop, that is) into the toilet and flush is what you do with a poopy cloth diaper.

Wanted to go with cloth but we had an aging septic (routed the washer into it's own grey system, totally illegal and unsuitable for poopy diapers) and no diaper service for miles around. So disposable for me. I used the store brand and developed some tricks - DD would urinate a little after waking in the AM so I would change the diaper last thing and get the overnight and morning, helped with rash reduction.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Feb. 15, 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Gads. I'm old.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible