The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Aqueduct - Feb 15th

One of those just lousy days in racing.

Thousand Excuses, a 3-yr old colt, broke down in the 9th while at the top of the stretch and in great position. He fractured his left cannon bone and had to be euthanized.

Earlier in the second race Suddenly I See, a 5-year-old mare, suffered a fractured sesamoid and also was euthanized.

Jockey Jackie Davis (on 'Suddenly') and Ramon Dominguez (on 'Thousand') both managed to walk away.

As an aside Jackie will no longer be an apprentice rider after this Wednesday.
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Feb. 16, 2010 at 01:11 PM.

How many have died there now?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

There's many many many more days when no deaths occur. I guess the morbid obsession with death always wins out here.

Quote Originally Posted by On the Farm View Post
    There's many many many more days when no deaths occur. I guess the morbid obsession with death always wins out here.
    I think enough people know me to say I'm not death obsessed whatsoever. Most certainly there are plenty of days where its downright uneventful.

I watch enough racing per week [at a minimum 8-hours] that it rarely occurs twice on the day's card.

If anyone isn't overly bothered seeing a horse breakdown then I'd say something is wrong. This isn't my 'first time at the rodeo' as I've seen horses breakdown but I refuse to casually shrug my shoulders and just look forward to the next race.

If having a discussion to work out my sadness and/or disturbance at the loss of a horse or rider means I have a morbid obsession with death, then so be it.

I'd rather be morbidly obsessed with death than callous.

If we stop talking about those "bad days", then the deaths of these horses and others become inconsequential which should never happen.

I guess we can start a thread "another black eye day for the boarding industry."
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=244698

I have watched almost every card from the "Inner Tube" this winter and the track has not seen many breakdowns at all.

Glimmerglass, I understand your point and feel awful for those involved but the title of the the thread "AQU- another blackeye..." gives the impression that the Big A has had an inordinate number of injuries this winter. Considering that the quality of racing is lowest at this time of year they have been quite fortunate in having very few issues this winter.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    I have watched almost every card from the "Inner Tube" this winter and the track has not seen many breakdowns at all.

Glimmerglass, I understand your point and feel awful for those involved but the title of the the thread "AQU- another blackeye..." gives the impression that the Big A has had an inordinate number of injuries this winter. Considering that the quality of racing is lowest at this time of year they have been quite fortunate in having very few issues this winter.
    Linny, I can see your point and I'll adjust the title accordingly.

As for the "another" reference I've only previously pointed out the Big A in another thread from March 4, 2009 when five horses went down in the 2nd race. If the track was a source of continual problems with break downs - which it doesn't - I wouldn't use "another" and would've instead called it persistent.

Too often because its not a stakes race, or sandwiched between a race going off at another couple of tracks, or is 'just a weekday' the events seem to get precious little mention.

While I'm not pointing out NYRA as poster child for problems - in fact I think Santa Anita has lost more this meet - its bad enough when you lose one horse but a second horse on the same day is just gutting.

Thanks Glimmer!

The NYRA tracks have been pretty consistently safe over the last few years. I vaguely recall that day last March. Remember though that multi horse accidents are rare, but are usually caused by a frontrunner going down. They heartbreaking they are usually NOT the result of several horses "breaking down" but a chain reaction caused by horses unable to get out of the way.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Thanks Glimmer!

The NYRA tracks have been pretty consistently safe over the last few years. I vaguely recall that day last March. Remember though that multi horse accidents are rare, but are usually caused by a frontrunner going down. They heartbreaking they are usually NOT the result of several horses "breaking down" but a chain reaction caused by horses unable to get out of the way.
    That's exactly what happened in March. A very tight pack turning for home and I think the horse in second went down.