The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Market for personalized/custom wedding favors?

Just throwing this out there...I was wondering if anyone knew what or if there is a market for "handmade" wedding favors. I recently made bridal shower favors and wedding favors for my mom's wedding, i.e. decorated "generic plastic" horse and carriage with flowers, candy, etc and really enjoyed creating them. My friend and I thought maybe we could start a side business of making favors for people's weddings, etc, but didn't know if that business is saturated by wedding planners and internet resources, or if there is any demand out there. If anyone has any input, please let me know.
    Thanks.

If you can come up with something decent and different while not getting too expensive I think there would be a market.

Everywhere I look it's the same old favors. They all look cheesy to me so I'm trying my best to find something a little different. The things that I can find that are expensive! There needs to be a happy medium!
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

Look at the Esty website. You will get a great idea about what is out there and you can sell your product on it.

Cool, thanks for your input. It's kind of an idea we came up with after doing all of the favors. I shopped with my mom for the basic, generic containers that are out there, and we personalized them with her colors with the flowers, ribbon, candy, etc. and we thought maybe we could do that as like a "budget favor" business. I know people don't want to spend a ton on the favors, and to get the personalization and uniqueness is hard, just wasn't sure if there would be a market for it. Plus, as with my mom, we did the "horsey" thing with the carriages we happened to find.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by KristiKGC View Post
    If you can come up with something decent and different while not getting too expensive I think there would be a market.

Everywhere I look it's the same old favors. They all look cheesy to me so I'm trying my best to find something a little different. The things that I can find that are expensive! There needs to be a happy medium!
    So, if you had someone in your area who would put together the favors, unique, and only charge cost plus a little extra, would that be something you would go for? Again, seeing if there is a market, not advertising or anything (especially since I'm not in your area.. )

I know I would have when I was planning my wedding! Everything was the same old s**t, or too expensive if it was unique. I ended up making my own, we got married in Walnut Grove, CA so I made candied walnuts and put them in vellum envelopes with a customized seal I made on the computer. Cheap and had meaning (to me at least, not sure if anyone else got the Walnut Grove-candied walnuts connection LOL). If someone would have been able to do something like that for me for about the same price while saving me the hassle, I would have been all for it!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I know I would have when I was planning my wedding! Everything was the same old s**t, or too expensive if it was unique. I ended up making my own, we got married in Walnut Grove, CA so I made candied walnuts and put them in vellum envelopes with a customized seal I made on the computer. Cheap and had meaning (to me at least, not sure if anyone else got the Walnut Grove-candied walnuts connection LOL). If someone would have been able to do something like that for me for about the same price while saving me the hassle, I would have been all for it!
    Exactly what I was looking for...I LOVED putting together the favors, from creating the flowers, etc to filling with the candy..that's what we are looking to do. We figured not everyone wants to waste their time putting that stuff together...and the more unique the better. thanks again for getting me the feel for what people want/need.