The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Essure/Tubal Ligation--spinoff of BC thread

Lately I've been tossing around the idea of getting "fixed" permanently and just wonder what others' experiences have been. I'm 31, unmarried, no kids, and living in the south, so part of me just wants to see if it can be done. Also, I figure it will be an immediate heads-up to any guys I date that the kids thing is NOT negotiable. I am 99% sure I don't want kids and figure if I change my mind, I can always adopt. I'm also not currently at risk of pregnancy so it's not a real urgent thing, but my experiences with hormonal BC have not been nice.

So, tell me about TL or Essure. Did it hurt? Any physical issues or changes afterward? How long before you were back to work and riding? Did insurance pay for it? Any regrets?
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

I got a tubal when I was 24, having known all my life I didn't want kids. Insurance was THRILLED to pay for it since that meant they were not going to have to pony up for pregnancy/delivery costs. My copay was $5.

It was outpatient, in the hospital, and it is keyhole surgery. They do pump your abdomen full of air so the laparoscope can get a clear view of things. I had one tiny scar just above my bikini line, and one in my navel.

Now, when I first woke up I was in EXCRUCIATING pain! But this wore off after about 4 hours. Went to work the next day and was back in full activity within 48.

I have never noticed any sort of changes.

My reasons for doing so were the same as yours. I'd already had one broken engagement due to the kids thing. I wanted everyone to know up front that if they were looking for a uterus to bear their seed, just pass on by and keep looking. (My sister-in-law for some reason is extremely bitter about this, even though my husband, her brother, does not want kids EITHER!)

And you CAN find a doctor who will do this. Just keep looking till you find one.

I had a tubal in October after the birth of my son. I had a planned c-section, so I can't say much about the pain or scarring, as they were already in there, incision made, etc. My scar is bigger than a normal tubal, but smaller than the average C-section scar.

We decided on the tubal as I almost died during my pregnancy. But, even here in liberal CA, "they" weren't thrilled with sterilizing someone after only one child. In theory, I was supposed to attend some classes to make sure I understood the enormity of my decision. Thankfully, my OB filled out a bunch of forms detailing the medical reasons I wanted the tubal, and I was allowed to have it without the classes. LOTS of paperwork. LOTS.

I feel great, and there wasn't much pain, even with the C. But I could see it being tricky to find someone willing to do the procedure to a childless woman. I have a girlfriend scheduled for the Essure, but she hasn't gotten it yet, so no info, sorry.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

I am married, childless, 30 and decided to have a tubal in December. It hurt; I took a week to recover, two before I was back in the saddle, but it was a great decision for me. I am so happy not to have to worry.

I decided against essure because I have issues with endometriosis and worried that the coils used with essure would exacerbate my issues.

ETA: I live in the south, and my doctor had no problem giving me the tubal. She did ask if I was sure, but she didn't try to sway me against having it. She was the fourth gyno I have seen, though, as the first three wouldn't do permanent sterilization. My insurance did pay for it.

Yes, I also had the TL done when I was 24. I wasn't riding then, but it was a breeze, but I do remember enjoying the painkillers post-op. I was fortunate to have had a HMO then, I believe it was all paid for but a minor co-pay.

One of the best decisions of my life--18 years later, I am still enjoying it!

I really really really want to have a tubal, but so far have had no luck in finding a willing doctor. I absolutely do not want kids, for a myriad of reasons, but because I'm only 21 nobody believes me. I keep hearing that I'm "too young to understand the implications of such a procedure" and that I "will want kids someday".
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    I really really really want to have a tubal, but so far have had no luck in finding a willing doctor. I absolutely do not want kids, for a myriad of reasons, but because I'm only 21 nobody believes me. I keep hearing that I'm "too young to understand the implications of such a procedure" and that I "will want kids someday".
    It took me about ten years to find someone to do mine. Keep looking; you will eventually find the right doctor, but it might take a while.

I am 27, married, no desire to have kids. Went to the gyno last week, he gladly offered to do either Essure or traditional surgical ligation, if it was what I chose.

I am going in 4 weeks or so to do it. Hubby would like more kids, but I don't want any. He has a son from a prior relationship that we have just about full time.

I had a total hyst at 29 for fibroids. Married 10 years, no kids, never wanted them, and hubby absolutely is not the fatherly type. It's not the same as a tubal obviously as I'm even more permenantly fixed (heh heh) but it's better then I could have imagined. I feel free in many ways and in no pain anymore. My GP referred me to a gyno, gyno said no prob, we'll scrape them all out and when they come back we'll do it again. I said whoa whoa, no we won't! Take it all! I had a few minutes of the "are you sure" talk, signed a form saying I really knew what I wanted, and we were scheduled. Canadian OHIP covered mine. I was in the hospital for 5 days for recovery and observation, then 3 more weeks off work, 4 more light duty working from home but I was riding in week 5. I was cleared but probably not that cleared if she knew what I was doing lol

I had asked my hubby to get snipped, he always looked like a deer in the headlights when the subject came up. Forget it... I'll go under the knife. No biggie, three days of discomfort & your good to go!

I had a TL after a planned c-section for twins this past August. Can't comment on the pain since, like PhoenixFarm, it was already there b/c of the c-section! I didn't want to risk more twins and two kids is plenty for me! One pregnancy was definitely enough. Ugh.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

You can try the route I took. After "firing" two doctors who reassured me that "it's just a passing thing and you'll want kids someday", I looked Dr. Number 3 in the eye and said, "Look, I am here because I want a tubal ligation. I hate children and babies and can't stand to be around them. I have ALWAYS hated babies and small children. I would rather go blind than go through a pregnancy and have children."

She, no kidding, busted out laughing and said, "That's absolutely fine. It's your body and your life and no one knows better than you what you want to do with both!"

She is still my doctor almost 20 years later.

I had a tubal at 31. The doctor had no problem doing.

I have to second the person that said the first four hours post op where HORRID. I'm very tolerant of pain, I've had knee surgery twice, a breast lump removed, an adult tonsilectomy and kidney stones. The first four hours post op were the worst pain I've had. It didn't seem to me that the pain killers did anything...mainly because I think it was cramping more than pain. Once I got home and took ibuprofen, it eased off, and I was fine by the next day. I stayed off my horse for a week.

I've never regretted having it done. If my husband and I decide we want kids, we'll adopt.