The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default do you believe in global warming?

I am not asking because I'm getting socked with snow.

I am just curious, since this is such a "hot topic".

Do you believe it's man made, or just nature.

Whose facts do you believe?

I believe that term was unfortunately used.

It's more "global change"...and I believe it is both natural, AND manmade.

All the offgassing and horrible stuff we create that we can't uncreate is definitely a cause, perhaps not the whole cause, however.

I see nothing wrong with striving to rid our world of many, if not all, of the things touted to be harmful to the environment. Why not? Why crap it up worse, if mother nature is going to do her thing; why make it 200% worse for our own 'convenience' sake?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I agree with Melelio. Bad name, as its more change overall than warming overall. Yes the earth has gone through cycles on its own, but why make the situation worse?

Here is more to confuse you:

http://global-warming.accuweather.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post

All the offgassing and horrible stuff we create that we can't uncreate is definitely a cause, perhaps not the whole cause, however.

I see nothing wrong with striving to rid our world of many, if not all, of the things touted to be harmful to the environment. Why not? Why crap it up worse, if mother nature is going to do her thing; why make it 200% worse for our own 'convenience' sake?
    I agree. Considering how much colder it has been this winter, I think its more the seasons becoming more extreme than the globe warming.

There is also a lot of evidence to support that this is a natural occurrence on earth, and no proof has been found that links carbon to global warming. However, with all the stuff that humans are releasing into the atmosphere, I have a hard time believing that we aren't doing something to affect this.

It is correctly called climate change -- as a biologist, I cringe everytime someone says "global warming" and wish that term had never come out. Because for the layperson, "increase in GLOBAL temperature average" is not something easily grasped.

It does cause an accentuation of weather extremes and as a gross generalization, hot places get hotter, cold places get colder, precipitation events become more frequent and more intense, and droughts get drier and longer. What effect this will have depends on location and other environmental variables.

Climate is not the same as weather and climate science is a hugely complex field that sadly gets oversimplified by a media which doesn't seem to understand even basic data analysis. *sigh*

DITTO 100%.

No, I do not believe the climate is warming, and if it were, I would not believe it was due to human activity. The entire global warming phenomenon is a case of politicians finding a an excuse for raising taxes and "scientists" finding a reason to obtain grant funding.

I do believe that the climate is changing and has been changing since the beginning and that there is very little we as humans can do to influence the climate in one direction or another.

Quote Originally Posted by iloverocky View Post
    No, I do not believe the climate is warming, and if it were, I would not believe it was due to human activity. The entire global warming phenomenon is a case of politicians finding a an excuse for raising taxes and "scientists" finding a reason to obtain grant funding.

I do believe that the climate is changing and has been changing since the beginning and that there is very little we as humans can do to influence the climate in one direction or another.
    spoken like anyone who simply believes what he wants to believe and has not bothered to critically study the data

Wildlifer, I feel your pain. The recent snowstorms that have prompted "oh where's global warming now?" gloating are infuriating for their shortsightedness. Global warming/climate change doesn't happen in one place on one day.

Unfortunately, this issue has become so politicized that it's now as difficult to talk about as evolution or religion. So there's really not much point in trying to convince lay people who refuse to try to understand the science and instead buy into the denialist argument.

The fact is that we are creating more fossil fuel emissions than the planet can safely absorb. In the past, the oceans and other natural carbon sinks have taken up greenhouse gases. Now they are oversaturated and can't continue to absorb the gases.

We have clean energy options - wind power is especially promising. Time to explore those. Unfortunately the US has been backwards-minded on this for years with an emotional attachment to the car industry. Now the Chinese and Europeans are going to lead the world in clean energy technology, another nail in the coffin of the US's world leadership. There is no future in fossil fuels - they are dirty, difficult to obtain, dangerous and most critically - finite.

I'm a bit in this camp, with the emphasis on the latter part - in fact I'd love to see more emphasis on pollution in general as a problem (from the gobs of trash in the ocean to contaminated food and water, etc.). There's no need for us to plow through resources like there's no tomorrow and throw away so much crap willy nilly.

my thing is how can we assume that the unprecidented hyper-industrialization of the last 150 yrs has NOT affected our planet in a negative way? I find anyone who believes we humans cannot negatively influence our planet and climate to be incredibly ignorant. I'm no scientist, but it doesn't take a genuis to realize that our planet has never had to deal with crap like we are putting out there into the atmosphere like it has in the last 150-200 yrs. I don't see any reason, whether its happening or not, to try to come up with ways to preserve our planet. I don't believe it should be a political issue at all...it's about taking care of our planet so our kids and their kids and their kids can enjoy clean air, clean water and a little open space to call home.

Humans are a blip on the screen - our climate and planet is always changing.

Sure, humans have an impact. All species impact their habitat and ecosystem and humans are no different.

But let me ask y'all this. How many of you REALLY want to live in balance with our environment?

I don't mean buying hemp clothing from Ecuador, or organic strawberries from Mexico, or driving a hybrid vehicle. Because you're still consuming, still producing undesirable by products, still poisoning the earth - just using different materials to do so. Some "green" products are every bit as damaging to the environment - or more so - because of the by products.

No - none of you really want to give up what you need to give up in order to truly stop our absurd level of consumption and pollution.

As a species - there are simply too many of us, and we all want to live like Americans. That is a recipe for global warfare. Really. Competition for resources.

The planet will recover from whatever we do to it. It will.

We just may not be around to see it.

I'm rather fatalistic about the whole thing - because I'm pretty darn sure the only way not to deplete resources is not to use them in the first place, and control the population so that it does not destroy habitats and ecosystems.

Those are two things no one will do - so why bother arguing about how many windmills and solar panels we need.

No, no one really wants to live the way we need to - because it means a big decline in your standard of living. But I bet all of you have choice words about how every one else should be living....

Absolutely.

I think its ignorant to believe that humans can continue to do the things we are doing-- burning fossil fuels at excessive rates and otherwise pumping enormous amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere-- and naively believe that nothing bad is going to happen.

I agree that climate change is a better word choice than global warming.

Not a believer- and I'm the daughter of a scientist that hates the term as well. (So I hear about it all the time! LOL)

Look into history of our planet, and you will see a warming and cooling trend that spans over 70 (I think? One starts to tune all this out when hearing about it all the time!) years, and it's thought that we are at/ over the heating peak, entering into the cooling period.

That said, I also believe we should take care of our environment and do what we can, and if this is how we raise awareness, then so be it.

THEREFORE........

We should all be allowed to use our horses as our primary form of transportation, with our vehicles being the long distance vehicles. This way, we can justify having our horses at work, and they are also theraputic in the work environment.....
    Last edited by AJHorsey; Feb. 15, 2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: I have a solution to the problem! LOL
    Standardbred Lover- owner of Studs Hooligan, aka Strider, ex- pacer, retrained for eventing and endurance
    Strider-OTSTB-, Gus-OTTB-, and Rio-rescued QH!
    Founder of the High Maintenance Horses Clique

I believe in climate change 100%. I also believe the JSwan is right...there is probably not much we people are going to be willing and able to do in the short run to change things...to sacrifice our standard of living and really try to stop the negative impact each of us has. Eventually we will find ourselves struggling to survive as as species if we don't start to pay attention to the planet that is our host.

Climate change perhaps but global warming is a figment of a few people's imagination, including Al Gore.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

This guy says exactly how I think about this issue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwebl...om=PL&index=70
    Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

On the plus side, all this snow has done one good thing. It's made the idiots easier to spot than usual. You know, when they respond with "Global warming? HA!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    my thing is how can we assume that the unprecidented hyper-industrialization of the last 150 yrs has NOT affected our planet in a negative way? I find anyone who believes we humans cannot negatively influence our planet and climate to be incredibly ignorant. I'm no scientist, but it doesn't take a genuis to realize that our planet has never had to deal with crap like we are putting out there into the atmosphere like it has in the last 150-200 yrs. I don't see any reason, whether its happening or not, to try to come up with ways to preserve our planet. I don't believe it should be a political issue at all...it's about taking care of our planet so our kids and their kids and their kids can enjoy clean air, clean water and a little open space to call home.
    Amen.