The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default iron forged hoof pick?

I can't get out today with the snow to take a pic, but I have the most marvelous hoof pick that I bought from a former farrier. We kind of split ways ungracefully, so I was hoping it might be common enough to be able to buy online or from someone else. It's the only thing that works with our ice balls in the hooves. I like the jackhammer hoofpick, but the key is that I need a heavy duty iron one so I can pick, flip it it over and hammer with the back of it, and flip it back around to pick out the rest. It's works wonderfully, but I need another. It's great... I don't have to juggle a hammer and a hoof pick. It has enough leverage and weight that it has enough oomph to break up the ice. Any ideas or should I go groveling back begging to buy another ?

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Picture, please!!!!

Is there any chance your current farrier can make a replica for you?

If not, maybe find someone else who is a client of your former farrier and have them buy a dozen for you to avoid having to have egg on your face....
    "One person can change the world, and everyone should try." ~John F. Kennedy~

Is it something specific to that farrier or is it just a clinch cutter like this that you often see farriers using as a hoof pick?

http://www.nordicforgeinc.com/Clinch_Cutter.JPG

I'll definitely take a pic. I have a feeling I'm going to have to bite the bullet. I'll find someone to buy some from me ring, ring... Hi, I got your name from someone and she said you make hoofpicks that she just LOVES and I'd love to buy some! She definitely makes them herself, and no it's not like a clinch cutter. They're cool. They're curvy so easy to get leverage with for picking and banging on the ice.

There's a guy on Etsy who makes forged horse stuffs..... let me see if I can find his shop.

ETA: Here's the shop. They don't have anything like that, but they may be able to make you something appropriate as they appear to speak horse.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/leviathanarts

I found this one too.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/mollyannema...ion_id=5634055
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit