The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finding a home for a free horse...

Hey Guys -
    So I have a little mare that I have been trying to find a home for, for about 4 months now. Spring is upon us and I have to get rid of her to make room in my barn for new horses coming in. I do not want to have to put this mare to sleep because she's very sweet and could be a good brood mare or even companion horse. She sustained an injury back in December that cut her leg and she had to have 9 stitches. Vet said there should be no lasting effects but we are not so sure about that. Before this happened we were going to put her in training to be a polo pony but we just don't know how sound she will be after this injury. She's 6 years old. Off the track...
    But I have not been able to find her a home. Anyone have any good resources besides CANTER and Leighton Farms? I just put another ad for her on the Giveaways section here...
    Any input would be greatly appreciated! Or if you know someone who is looking PM me!

What was the nature of the injury? Nine stitches may not be a big deal at all depending on what part of the leg was affected. Why don't you just get the vet out to do a recheck to determine her level of soundness post-injury? That's a pretty minimal expense.

jse is offline Advanced Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    What was the nature of the injury? Nine stitches may not be a big deal at all depending on what part of the leg was affected. Why don't you just get the vet out to do a recheck to determine her level of soundness post-injury? That's a pretty minimal expense.
    She ran through a fence, huge laceration across the knee. Cut 2 arteries. Because this was an injury to a joint, in order for it to heal she was wrapped up and on stall rest for about a month and a half. Wrap actually gave her a pretty bad sore BEHIND the knee, so that has had to heal as well. Vet has done re-check. Is in fact at the barn today so will probably take another look. He has not mentioned anything about soundness post-injury. In the beginning he said she would have no lasting effects from it, but the knee is still a bit swollen and she is gimpy.
    Regardless, I need to find her a home. She's a very sweet mare and a good companion to other horses. She would probably even make a good broodmare.

I have a couple here too that I fixed up and hoped to rehome.
    There's just too many out there looking for homes.
    The unsound ones generally don't have much of a chance. Best of luck to you though.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

CoTH Giveaways? Try there.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    I have a couple here too that I fixed up and hoped to rehome.
    There's just too many out there looking for homes.
    The unsound ones generally don't have much of a chance. Best of luck to you though.
    Yeah we told the owner of this horse that we would try our hardest to find her a home or give her a good job. If she does end up sound after all of this she will make a really nice polo pony. She is not quiet enough for the show ring.
    Thank you for your kind wishes!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    CoTH Giveaways? Try there.
    Just put an ad up this afternoon...hopefully I will find someone through that. It's the second ad I've put up but no takers the first time around unfortunately.

Try the ABR forum. Make sure you make it clear if the horse can't find a home it will be euthanized. I can understand being anti-slaughter, but it seems a number of people who frequent the ABR are anti-euthanization of any animal that is basically healthy, if unsound. I know of two horses in that category that found new homes there.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Try the ABR forum. Make sure you make it clear if the horse can't find a home it will be euthanized. I can understand being anti-slaughter, but it seems a number of people who frequent the ABR are anti-euthanization of any animal that is basically healthy, if unsound. I know of two horses in that category that found new homes there.
    Not familiar with the ABR forum...could you post a link for me? I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to try my hardest to get this girl to a good forever home!

jse - abr is here:

http://forums.prospero.com/alexbrown...Reading+%3E%3E

aka "alex brown racing"

Just be careful posting there (though I suppose this is everywhere, heh) - I've had some responses there from people who really were innapropriate and never did have any luck finding homes through there. There are several posters there as well who often offer a home or to take a horse, but really are bordering on the edge of being hoarders. There are some GREAT people there, too, but some that have my red flags raised.

And I'd be careful mentioning the word "euth" over there - if you mention it be prepared to be attacked. but then again, if you don't mention it, you're much less likely to get a response (responses over there seem directly proportionate to the level of "buy him or he DIES!" type of marketing used).

As for CANTER and Leighton, if the horse qualifies, do you have any objection to at least putting up a free classified there? Labelling a horse "free" on there can bring in a lot of calls (and yes, some are from crazy people) but a lot of people check those websites. It doesn't always work but doesn't seem like there's much to lose?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    jse - abr is here:

http://forums.prospero.com/alexbrown...Reading+%3E%3E

aka "alex brown racing"

Just be careful posting there (though I suppose this is everywhere, heh) - I've had some responses there from people who really were innapropriate and never did have any luck finding homes through there. There are several posters there as well who often offer a home or to take a horse, but really are bordering on the edge of being hoarders. There are some GREAT people there, too, but some that have my red flags raised.

And I'd be careful mentioning the word "euth" over there - if you mention it be prepared to be attacked. but then again, if you don't mention it, you're much less likely to get a response (responses over there seem directly proportionate to the level of "buy him or he DIES!" type of marketing used).

As for CANTER and Leighton, if the horse qualifies, do you have any objection to at least putting up a free classified there? Labelling a horse "free" on there can bring in a lot of calls (and yes, some are from crazy people) but a lot of people check those websites. It doesn't always work but doesn't seem like there's much to lose?
    Thank you so much for the reccomendation! I will contact Leighton again and see what we can do. I contacted them earlier on but at that point we decided to keep her and try her as a polo pony but now that she's injured maybe they can help me out! I know that sounds bad. I seriously am not trying to just throw her out. I promised her owners that she would get a very good home and I need to follow through with it.

Just be aware that the ABR forum has more than its fair share of kooks and crazies, and if you decide to let anyone from there have the horse, check, check, and recheck references. Any group who believes that praying to Barbaro and believing he's watching over them is normal, just ain't right.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Also I think thehorse.com has a section for listings for free horses as well.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Just be aware that the ABR forum has more than its fair share of kooks and crazies, and if you decide to let anyone from there have the horse, check, check, and recheck references. Any group who believes that praying to Barbaro and believing he's watching over them is normal, just ain't right.
    I haven't been to this sight yet but I'm gonna check it out now. Praying to Barbaro??? LOL Wow...I will definitely make sure if anyone from there takes her that I check them thoroughly. I mean...I cry every time I watch the documentary about him on HBO but that's just the horse lover in me!

Exactly. He was a young horse with a tragic story that didn't end well. Not a deity. They call themselves the Friends of Barbaro. Whole lotta crazy goin' on with those folks!
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post

new homes or good homes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Honestly, the only "good" way to find a horse a good home is through word of mouth! "Good" people tend to know good people, and know if they hold onto their horses for life or change them like the do underwear....

I would suggest you start by asking your vet, your farrier and any of your horse friends that you trust if they know of anyone who might be interested in her. The fact that she may not be sound narrows down her options for a new home and many people are not breeding due to the economy. The mare has a very nice sport horse pedigree if someone were interested in breeding her: http://www.pedigreequery.com/we+three2 .

You might try contacting some the established TB breeding farms though; someone may be willing to take her off your hands--she's a nice looking, nice moving mare.

I do know one thing--stay away from advertising on Craigslist!!!! It's my considered opinion that not much good comes from dealing there....

What caused her to go through the fence?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt." ~Abraham Lincoln~

Talking

I am a long time lurker on a bunch of these horse boards, yes even ABR. I have never actually posted on any of them, but you made me laugh out loud (and you are correct!) and I must say, I do like your style!

Exactly. He was a young horse with a tragic story that didn't end well. Not a deity. They call themselves the Friends of Barbaro. Whole lotta crazy goin' on with those folks!
    Jesus was young when he died....

And weren't both unnaturally held off the ground in some kind of crazy apparatus just prior to death?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Jesus was young when he died....

And weren't both unnaturally held off the ground in some kind of crazy apparatus just prior to death?
    Uh oh, mvp. Are you trying to start a religious vs non-religious war? The Krazy Khristians will be going all jihad on you!