The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weight Loss - Update!

About two weeks ago I decided that I'm done, I want the weight gone. And for these last two weeks I have been dedicated and haven't strayed from my lifestyle change. I'm proud of myself. I have lost about 7lbs in the two weeks, a little more than I expected, and I expect to not lose more than 2lbs a week. I have about 30lbs to go towards my goal weight.

I have been eating really well, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, light on fats and sugars. I have been using fitday.com to record my daily calorie intake, and I seem to be maintaining about 1,250-1,500 calories per day.

I don't feel hungry at the end of the day, I mean I COULD EAT! but I don't have to, so I feel like my calorie intake is good. Should I be concerned that my calorie intake is too low? I have not started exercising yet, but I plan to start today trying to fit in about 30 min of walking a day.

I worried about hitting a plateau later, will I need to up my calories?

Any advice is appreciated, I'm ready to get my body back

UPDATE: Read further down on page 1.
    Last edited by Bedazzle; Aug. 8, 2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Update

Have you done one of those basic calculations telling you how many calories you should be eating to lose weight? It really does depend on your current height and activity level. If you've lost 7 lbs in two weeks you may be eating too little, however you'll know.

You will hit a plateau, its inevitable. At that point you either need to shake up your diet a bit or your exercise routine (like if you hadn't been lifting weights before, start. Or try a new workout). Losing weight is the easy part though, its keeping it off that sucks! Good luck and congrats on your success so far!

My family and I are on weight watchers.

I've read that if you plateau that it is at a weight you stayed at for a while on the way up. Also at the beginning you do lose more the first week or so because it's water weight and the loss will stabilize at a slower rate after a couple of weeks.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Go to CalorieCounter.com and enroll. It's free, there are a ton of people on there that are very educated about weight loss, fitness, motivation...everythign you need to know.
    They also have analysis that you fill in that will tell you scientifically how many cals you require to LIVE. How many you should eat to lose weight safely, and how to keep track of the difference.
    Youcan track your daily intake of just about every food you've ever heard of, and it will break it down into a complete nutritional analysis. You can input all your activities for the day and it will tell you how many calories they used.
    Between your intake, your output and your basal metabolical rate, it will tell you whether you are in a deficit or not for that day.
    Very helpful.
    My suggestions? STOP drinking any carbonated becerages. Drink lots of water, even if you hate it. Start doing some exercise every day, even 30 minutes of walking.
    Those things are a great start. Don't go too crazy at first or you'll quit.
    If you quit, start again. There's no maximum numbers you are allowed.
    Start adding more muscle to your body, as low cal diets will burn that away FIRST, and that is exactly what you NEED to burn the most calories.(Which is why most fad diets DON'T work. When you go back to eating normal, you now have a slower metabolism, because your body canabalized (sp?) all the lean tissue mass that burns the most cals. and you're left with fat tissue which burns LESS cals. than before. )

It took you awhile I'm sure to put that weight on. It'll take longer to take it off.

NJR

As a family- we've decided to change our eating lifestyles to more healthier choices.

No more fast food, cut back to minimal processed foods.

This is how I grocery shop... down the dairy aisle for skim milk, low fat cheese slices. Across to the butcher section for lean meats (chicken, fish, and steak), and wrapping up in the produce section for all fresh veggies and fruits. They also keep seeds, rice, and dry beans by produce which is super nice. We call the center aisles "the Salt and Sugar Zone".

Anyway- we're roughly one month in to our lifestyle change. The first week was the hardest. I'm down about 15 pounds, my daughter just under 10, my sister 15-20, and hubby lost some too. My son who is such a skinny kid- is actually putting on weight in better muscle tone. He is such a picky eater but was an unhealthy eater so cutting out the salt and sugar is helping immensely for him.

We eat brown rice or beans in place of a heck of a lot of bread, pasta, and potatoes that we used to eat. I also steam veggies. Soaking and cooking whole beans is very easy and something I didn't know how to and was afraid to even try cooking.

And the best thing... we went out to eat the other day at Applebees for a sepcial treat. Even the kids were ASKING for healthier choices- no soft drinks, no fries, no fried stuff.

That is about the correct calorie intake - it is not too low. As you loose more weight it will come off slower and slower.
    Sandy in Fla.

I found Fitday.com to be really helpful and it's free.

www.myfitnesspal.com is good (and free) as well.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

I use http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate to track my eating and exercise habits.

I've discovered I have a fat problem in that I crave it more than carbs or sweets. Aside from that, I seem to eat fairly well.

I joined a gym this afternoon and have a consultation with a personal trainer tomorrow. I will be joining the yoga, pilates and some other class I can't remember & can't reach because the cat is sleeping on my arm. I'll also do strength training to get back the muscle tone I lost to cancer treatment. Everything is included for about $1/day.

I can deal with numbers on the scale IF I fit well in my clothes. I want to be able to mount without hurting my horse. I want to not huff and puff when climbing stairs with the groceries.

Let the losing begin!
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

This bears repeating: You can eat anything you want. But you have to make it yourself.

Just a quick update, I have lost approx 30 pounds to date and I'm so happy! Will update more later.

5 members found this post helpful.

oh crap, the thread was 3 years old?!

Congratz! Way to go!

I am on week three of my turnaround....doing well so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My fitness pal. Hands down. Track everything you put into your mouth, and any activity you do. You can learn how to count macros, but that may be pushing it for right now. To start working out, simple walks will do. Incorporate weight training in there as well. You will hit a wall, but that is your bodies way of telling you to switch it up. Don't do the same thing over and over again, make working out fun! Little tips: Park farther away from the stores so you have to walk. If you live close to town stores, walk to them (like for instance I live down the road to the gas stations in town, when we need something I just walk), if you hate drinking water, add frozen fruit to help with the taste. Any recipe you find, can be made into a healthy one, so just remember that when cooking. I'm a little more obsessed with working out/eating healthy than your average person but I love helping! So if you need help let me know.

Celi are we friends on myfitnesspal? I'm acloern1985 feel free to add me. When I started this thread three years ago I did indeed lose the 30 pounds and kept it off until late last year when it all crept up on me again. As of today I have lost that 30 pounds again - the right way this time and I'm thrilled with my life right now. I'm doing a transformation challenge at my gym and my trainer is having me try gluten free. I would love any support on Instagram (I post food pics/fitness pics +horses + pets) my username is acloern1985, or on myfitnesspal. Thanks!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    Celi are we friends on myfitnesspal? I'm acloern1985 feel free to add me. When I started this thread three years ago I did indeed lose the 30 pounds and kept it off until late last year when it all crept up on me again. As of today I have lost that 30 pounds again - the right way this time and I'm thrilled with my life right now. I'm doing a transformation challenge at my gym and my trainer is having me try gluten free. I would love any support on Instagram (I post food pics/fitness pics +horses + pets) my username is acloern1985, or on myfitnesspal. Thanks!!
    How do you join the COTH group or add friends on myfitnesspal? I just started using it last week...am somewhat confuzzled still
    *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
    "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
    &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

We are not friends, but I'm hunting you down as I speak. I believe I am Jlynn913 on MFP. I'll send you a request

Quote Originally Posted by BoldChance View Post
    How do you join the COTH group or add friends on myfitnesspal? I just started using it last week...am somewhat confuzzled still
    If you want you can PM me or state publicly your name on myfitnesspal and I can request you as a friend. Or go to myfitnesspal, then click on the Community tab, then click on Find Members, and type in the user name there.

Mind if I join? Now that I have a horse, I have to buckle down and do something about my weight. I've been soda-free for two weeks, and have been watching portion size. That's my downfall - I eat really healthy (ok, except for the chips last weekend), but I eat too much of it. DH is a chef, but I can't even use that as an excuse b/c HIS weight hasn't varied by more than 15 pounds in 20+ years!

Just joined as . . . wait for it . . . 2horseygirls!
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Welcome!

1 members found this post helpful.