The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Default Help me brainstorm—careers that require high level of attention to detail?

Right now I'm (mainly) a copy editor. I absolutely love what I do, but over the last year, I've found that my employer is increasingly valuing quantity over quality. There aren't many copy-editing jobs in my area, so while I have a few great freelance clients I plan to keep, I'm also wondering what other careers might be a good fit. A friend suggested I become a pharmacist, but as I barely scraped through Chemistry 101, I'm not so sure that's a good idea.

Any thoughts?
    Full-time bargain hunter.

You're going to need a lot of chemistry. Accountant?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Yes, accounting. I love it! Most people think of bookkeepers but that is a really low level (and paying, think $15 an hour) clerk job. Accounting has CPAs, CMAs, CFEs, CFOs, for certs plus more. Forensic accounting is very cool, as is cost accounting if you are into business. if you want to be in an office all day dong taxes, you can too.

http://www.careers-in-accounting.com/
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

1 members found this post helpful.

Paralegal work might suit you.

Air traffic control?
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Software quality assurance or technical writing, perhaps.

I don't know any group more anal-retentive than the Navy nukes. The chem thing could be a little bit of a problem, but not huge. Now I do a lot of tech writing & editing. Lots of disciplines within engineering and after school there isn't necessarily much math involved. I haven't done a differential equation in years.

Grants and Contracts Administrator at an R1 research university. We need you people to keep us academics on track!

Doesn't require more than a BA/BS, but does require organization, a no-BS attitude, and a ridiculous attention to detail.

Real estate inspector
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Yes, accounting. I love it! Most people think of bookkeepers but that is a really low level (and paying, think $15 an hour) clerk job. Accounting has CPAs, CMAs, CFEs, CFOs, for certs plus more. Forensic accounting is very cool, as is cost accounting if you are into business. if you want to be in an office all day dong taxes, you can too.

http://www.careers-in-accounting.com/
    I'll second that! Definitely look into doing tax work as it's very technical and very detail-oriented. However, you are dealing with numbers all day, and not as many words.

I work in a tax group at a Big Four accounting firm and the salary is pretty good. New associates tend to start around $55K, and it goes up from there. Even the regional firms tend have competitive starting salaries (usually around $50K or so).

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Air traffic control?
    I was also going to suggest this! You definitely need attention to detail I'm going to school for ATC right now and I love it!!

my friend's daughter is an actuary. she makes BIG BIG money and did so right out of school. her salary keeps going up as she takes more tests. i'm pretty impressed that she makes so much money!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Quote Originally Posted by laskiblue View Post
    Paralegal work might suit you.
    I worked for a law firm right out of college, though just as a legal assistant, not as a paralegal. I think given the right firm, that could be a possibility, and I've thought about it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Air traffic control?
    Yikes! This one's actually crossed my mind too, though that level of responsibility for people's lives scares the crap out of me. That is definitely a job where one mistake could be horrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunsets View Post
    Grants and Contracts Administrator at an R1 research university. We need you people to keep us academics on track!

Doesn't require more than a BA/BS, but does require organization, a no-BS attitude, and a ridiculous attention to detail.
    Tell me more about this!

Quote Originally Posted by McLeanHunterRider View Post
    I'll second that! Definitely look into doing tax work as it's very technical and very detail-oriented. However, you are dealing with numbers all day, and not as many words.

I work in a tax group at a Big Four accounting firm and the salary is pretty good. New associates tend to start around $55K, and it goes up from there. Even the regional firms tend have competitive starting salaries (usually around $50K or so).
    I've avoided accounting-type jobs mainly because while I can do math in a no-pressure situation, I struggled with it a lot in grade school. My father's a physicist, so math comes very easily to him, and I definitely developed something of a block about it. I can do it if it's explained thoroughly and thoughtfully, but it doesn't come easily to me and it takes me a while.

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    my friend's daughter is an actuary. she makes BIG BIG money and did so right out of school. her salary keeps going up as she takes more tests. i'm pretty impressed that she makes so much money!
    I know nothing about this career—I'll have to read more about it.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions thus far. I'd love to keep copy editing, but I'll admit I'm more than a little burned out after being solely responsible for anywhere from five to eight publications for the last decade. It's good to learn more about what else is out there.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

If you already have an aversion to numbers, actuary is most likely not going to be for you

Glad you started this thread....I feel like I need a career change and some of these seem interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    I worked for a law firm right out of college, though just as a legal assistant, not as a paralegal. I think given the right firm, that could be a possibility, and I've thought about it before.

Yikes! This one's actually crossed my mind too, though that level of responsibility for people's lives scares the crap out of me. That is definitely a job where one mistake could be horrifying.

Tell me more about this!

I've avoided accounting-type jobs mainly because while I can do math in a no-pressure situation
    , I struggled with it a lot in grade school. My father's a physicist, so math comes very easily to him, and I definitely developed something of a block about it. I can do it if it's explained thoroughly and thoughtfully, but it doesn't come easily to me and it takes me a while.

I know nothing about this career—I'll have to read more about it.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions thus far. I'd love to keep copy editing, but I'll admit I'm more than a little burned out after being solely responsible for anywhere from five to eight publications for the last decade. It's good to learn more about what else is out there.
    I was a product support engineer/QA for professional income tax software. Taxes are less about doing math and more about knowing where to put the number the tax payer gives you. The program should take care of he math.

Tax preparers tend to be insanely busy Nov-April and then can pretty much coast with a spike in Aug and Oct.
    Note: I said pretty much coast, not close the office and go to the Bahamas.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

In terms of tax prep, a friend's mother owned a tax prep service and did amazingly well. It was a Jackson Hewitt (which I think is a franchise) and while she worked a lot from Nov - April she was essentially off the rest of the year. Made really great money too!

OLR I feel your pain-- graphic design is going much the same.... quantity over quality, and my degree and 10+ years of experience doesn't do anything for me when they can hire a self-taught 20 year old for $10 an hour.

I too have been looking at other job options. I have several friends who have gone back to be RNs and they have great jobs now. Don't think I could hack it as a nurse though!

If you find anything amazing let me know! PS shame we don't live in the same place, we could start our own ad agency.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

You could look into doing internal communications for a large company. Your editing skills would come in very handy, and people with a high level of attention to detail can really excel and move up the ranks. Technical writing would be another way to go.

Ha, I was going to say copy editing!

I work in magazine web production—one wrong character in a line of HTML or CSS can throw everything off, so I'd say attention to detail is crucial.

Project Management.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Tightrope walker....

3 members found this post helpful.