The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The "When did they decide that!" thread

I have three horses. Two are homebred full-siblings (6 & 7). The third helped raise them. They have shared a 12 X 28 run-in shed since the homebreds were babies. So, when did they decide that they couldn't all fit in that shed and why wasn't I invited to that meeting??? Apparently, it's the 7 yo that no longer fits. You know, she who has the shortest hair coat of all of them.

So, what have your horses decided in committee and then (maybe) informed you about?
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Herd dynamics change and no, they don't ask me to vote either.

Right now, my 30 year old has never met a horse he doesn't like in his life and all seem to like him also.
    Just lately, the very mild 20 year old boss, that has never looked at anyone with a grumpy face, is making faces at him.
    This started after he came from his last stint as a theraphy horse, although I don't think that should have any bearing here.

I am debating if to, when the snow finally melts, take the 20 year old to the vet for a general examination, to be sure he is not just not feeling well.
    Maybe, being gray, he has some melanoma inside we ought to know about, something may show in blood work or examination or ???

We will see, it may just be this weather also, just generally tired of snow and cold and wanting spring to hurry up.

Since horses live the way we manage for them, we have to be aware of how they interact and of any changes and see that all is ok.
    Horses can't just drop the rent and go find a better place and nicer friends, we have to see to their quality of life.

Default Well...

Horses can't just drop the rent and go find a better place and nicer friends, we have to see to their quality of life.
    I'm doing my best. Really I am. That's why they are now wearing blankets when they don't usually. But I can't produce a barn that doesn't exist just because they suddenly decide to engage in sibling rivalry. Honestly, I've been thinking that the most reasonable solution would be to sell one of my homebreds before next winter.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe