The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Memory foam mattresses

Is there a big difference between the brand Temperpedic and "off-brand" memory foam mattresses? We are looking to purchase one and the dude is quite insistent on the brand name, whereas I am more of a bargain shopper.

I'm no expert, but I've found the memory foam of any type to be very hot. A friend had a Temperpedic and got rid of it within two years --- besides being hot, it had molded to her body shape --- which it isn't supposed to do --- and was very uncomfortable. YMMV, though.

I own a memory foam mattress topper and it is great. We didn't replace our box spring or mattress, just got the foam topper from Overstock.com. I couldn't be happier and I have had it for several years now.

I don't find the pad to be too hot to sleep on. However if you lose power in your house during the winter, you'll find the foam gets pretty hard in the cold. It takes some body heat to soften it up again.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

We have a tempurpedic. I love it, as does our husband (and our dog, who gets up there every chance she gets). I don't find it hot at all, although I will agree that it does take a few minutes to soften up in the winter if we forget to turn the upstairs heat up before going to bed.
    I'm usually a bargain shopper, but I feel like mattresses are something you don't want to skimp on.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

I bought one off the internet in October (knock-off) and I love it. But my hubby complains that his side now has a slope to it and he is not happy with that. Anyone have a suggestion?
    PennyG

We have the mattress topper, can't remember the brand name but I think it's Memory Foam. It's pretty comfortable and I don't notice the pad seeming hot in summer, but we may not notice the pad being warm because our bedroom gets so hot in general in summer. (Note: when buying an older house, make sure your bedroom windows aren't stuck shut.)

It's held its shape pretty well, we've had it about 3 years, I think...

We both have toppers on our current beds and love them, which is why we're thinking about getting a full-fledged one after we're married. Neither one of us gets too hot with the current toppers.

My husband and I bought a new bed this summer. We got a plush top and separately bought a memory foam topper from Sam's Club. When DH did research it seems that memory foam breaks down over time from heat including body heat. We found that it will be much more economical to buy a good mattress/box spring and every couple years replace the memory foam topper as it wears out.
    The memory foam topper I got from Sam's Club is a King and was $139. We love it. We keep our bedroom at about 60 degrees and for about 1 minute after getting into bed it is hard by quickly conforms to your body shape.
    I also got a memory foam pillow- DH has had one of the shaped ones for years. I didn't like the shape and finally found one that is regular pillow shaped. I love it.

Default Tempurpedic

Do not cheap out!! Tempurpedic is not the same as other "memory foam" mattresses. It does not get hot, because of an air flow layer.

I was skeptical, like you, that it was really worth the money, but my boyfriend insisted, and boy am I glad he did! We have had the Tempurpedic for a year now, and I have never slept better.

I've never slept on an actual Tempurpedic mattress, but I have one of the knock-offs on my bed at college, and a different knock-off brand on my bed at home and I love it. They're both super comfy, no issues with them being hot either.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

BIG difference between the Tempur Pedics and the knock offs! Tempur Pedics are great! I've had mine for over 10 years now and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxhound View Post
    We have a tempurpedic. I love it, as does our husband (and our dog, who gets up there every chance she gets). I don't find it hot at all, although I will agree that it does take a few minutes to soften up in the winter if we forget to turn the upstairs heat up before going to bed.
    I'm usually a bargain shopper, but I feel like mattresses are something you don't want to skimp on.

agree with everything you say!!!

I will also add RE: not skimping on a mattress....

There is a saying:

"Buy the best shoes and buy the best mattress because if you are not in one you're in the other."