The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

skaarcat Guest

Default ANYONE heard of hoof surgery for thrush?

OK I know I had a previous thread on abcesses but this vet is still bugging us to have surgery on our horses hooves for a bad thrush infection he says is up inside the hoof. Hoof tester negative. No radiograph done. Just a probe up inside the heel groove. Frog trimmed and clean bill of health given by second vet. BUT horses now appear sore...is this from the trimming of the frog by the second vet OR from this 'deep thrush infection' the first vet claims? He never uses the word 'abcess'. He didn't radiograph the hooves or anything. Says it's been in there for a long time. No lameness though until the deep trimming of the frog by the second vet and I wouldn't actually call them lame...sore maybe. Normal? We want to do the right thing by our horses and we are having so many doubts because this first vet is so sure he is right. But has ANYONE heard of such a thing before or had it done?

These are really good questions for the horseshoes.com forum. Those guys really have hundreds of man-years of experience and knowledge about just this sort of thing. I'd be there asking these questions in a heartbeat. They like to work with a vet on a problem, and have very good information and reasons for their opinions about trimming frogs - or not - as the case may be.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Canker yes, thrush, no I haven't heard of that.

There are many other options for treating thrush before resorting to surgery (what did the vet say would be done anyway?)

Clean Trax, even a few times, can clear up the worst hoof funk as long as the cause of the funk is removed.

Quote Originally Posted by skaarcat View Post
    vet is still bugging us to have surgery on our horses hooves for a bad thrush infection he says is up inside the hoof. Hoof tester negative. No radiograph done. Just a probe up inside the heel groove. Frog trimmed and clean bill of health given by second vet.
    I would never do surgery for an imaginary problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
    I would never do surgery for an imaginary problem.
    Well, if you can sink the probe deep into the center sulcus, it's probably not an imaginary problem

That said, I'd try some serious medical approaches before I'd cut off any more foot. Clean Trax is a good idea......

Then figure out why the horse has such bad thrush and work on fixing that......

As far as the soreness goes.....could be from the trim if it was really aggressive, or could be from the thrush, of could be unrelated.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I have never heard of surgery for it. I have heard of cases of lameness caused by thrush deep in the clefts of the frog, and many master farriers have recommended sugardine and packing with gauze or cotton (to keep the sugardine in the cracks) as a cure. That was before some of the newer thrush remedies like white lightning or clean trax was available.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Are you sure it's thrush and not canker?

I have friends who have been dealing with canker in a mare for more than four years, and after a six week hospital stay with associated heavy duty trimming, they may have finally gotten it under control.

Canker is really, really scary stuff, so make sure that your horse doesn't have it or is getting it before you make any decision on surgery or not.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

No need for surgery for thrush, white lightning or cleantrax or any of the other produsts will work just fine if used correctly, no need to probe to find canker it can be seen on the surface of the frog, looks like cauliflower.
    i think that vet is a quack and i wouldn't let him back in the barn. if he wants to practice surgery so bad tell him to get some cadavers to play with.

A couple years ago my old trainer got a horse in for training that had a bad case of thrush, he had the owner call the vet out and they tried treating it, but the thrush was so advanced that the horse went lame and the vet had to cut out most of the frog and surrounding areas- down to the bone in one area. The horse had to be wrapped and medicated for a few weeks, but eventually returned to full work. Of course by then the owner decided that my trainer had not done anything worthwhile for the horse and pulled it out of the barn

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Any time any necrotic tissue is removed from the frog, especially if it is removed down to the frog corium/digital cushion, surgery has been performed. So, it would appear that your horse already has had surgery. And, yes, your horse could well be sore for this procedure. Now you have to figure out what caused the hoof to be susceptible to the pathogens and deal with that. Until you do, you won't get rid of the thrush no matter what you do. And, this is especially true when there is deep involvement of the tissues by the infective agent(s).

Quote Originally Posted by foggybok View Post
    Well, if you can sink the probe deep into the center sulcus, it's probably not an imaginary problem
    Yes, if. Which hasn't been described. Putting it there doesn't mean it's deep, and poking with a stick generally isn't the diagnostic for an 'infection', is it?
    The poster said the hoof tester was negative, there's no radiograph and another vet gave a clean bill of health, that's imaginary.

I have no advice, but I do have a couple of questions:

OP, what part of the US do you live in?

Are you blessed with good veterinarians, a top rated vet school with an equine hospital?

Do you have good farriers in your area?

In other words, are you in a horse center or are you totally off the beaten path?

How far is it to the nearest of any of the above?

What are the qualifications of the two vets who have looked at the horse?

You will get better advice if the above information is made available.

CSSJR