The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default therapeutic hock wraps caused my horse to go bonkers, advice?

If this is a training issue I can handle this, what I'm wondering is if anyone else has had this experience and perhaps its not training.

I have some BOT hock wraps I wanted to try on my 30yr old retiree. Both his hocks are shot, and one hock is capped. My wraps do not have the hole in the hock.

I put on the wraps while breakfast was being served, and they fit nicely, etc. All is well for a while, then he starts to fidget, and bam, freaks out runs backwards trying to climb his butt up the stall wall (thank goodness it was deeply bedded). He was absolutely freaking out about his hocks, holding his leg up so high and out so far he nearly got his hoof over the kickwall. He retained sense through his panic, and calmed down immediately once the wraps were off.

This is a very bomb proof horse, and this reaction is extremely out of character for him. Though he's never worn hock boots before, he has had shipping boots on, has worn all manner of leg wraps on the cannons, I even made a stifle sling for him once, etc. New things are normally 'whatever' with him. Having said that, he did freak out in a similar fashion once when being introduced to a muzzle, he darn near passed out from terror actually, it was odd. So, its possible its training.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with BOT products? or hock wraps in general? Could they be heating up and making odd sensations? Could they be pressing down on the point of hock and making an uncomfortable feeling?

I don't want to train my horse to accept something that is making him uncomfortable. Poor old man has so much heart he'd do it if I said do it, even if it hurt.

Thanks for any help or advice.
    Last edited by buck22; Feb. 15, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

Its not unusual for a horse to react as if he has a broken leg when you put a wrap on behind for the first time. I would just use them one at a time until he gets used to the sensation.

I ditto laurierace, I will add that I have found the BOT products to be very effective. Try one at a time...see what happens.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

He may have surprised himself. If you put 'em on and he chilled for a minute, he perhaps didn't know they were there. I imagine that usually a new constricting sensation on his legs comes with you around as the obvious cause.

Then he moved-- apparently with no explanation-- his hocks were caught! For the first time! And it wouldn't let go! And I was all alone!

See what I'm saying?

He will learn to deal. Next time, you might try restraining him while you put one on and invite him to move while you are in attendance.

You can do this in his stall with his rope looped through a tie-ring and back to your hand. For the ones I started on the ground, I like doing stuff like this in an arena. That's just me. So long as I know I can hold onto the rope, I don't care if they move.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

thanks everyone, I figured it was something like this but wanted just a little reassurance. thank you!!!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

I could never get hock wraps to work. A long time ago, I had magnetic hock wraps, and then more recently, I tried the BOT hock wraps.

They will not stay on! I have tried making them tighter, looser, taping... The only way to get them on was to put standing wraps on the back legs, which is a pain.

My horses never liked them either. Some had worse reactions than others, but they all would at least walk funny and fidget-- kind of the same reaction as wearing hind shipping boots.

But since they should benefit your horse, I would just work on getting him adjusted to them. If you have problems with slipping, use standing wraps.

Two thoughts:

First, the BOT products will create heat which the horse needs to adapt to. He might have been reacting to the intensity of it.

Second, some horses just won't tolerate a wrap on the their hocks. I had a horse with chronic hock sores and I tried the Cashel "Boomer Hock Socks" http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/...&ids=262812151 numerous times but my horse threw a kicking fit every time making it clear he was not going to tolerate it no matter what. It wasn't worth risking an injury. (Anyone need a set??!!)

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

My stallion wears hind boots fine just about every training session, but when I put magnetic boots on to help with some chronic stocking up from an old injury... he started kicking like crazy.

I can wrap him, boot him, put the same type boot on, no reaction. The magnets= reaction.

I *know* Deltawave will come on and say even MRIs aren't strong enough to do what the magnet stuff claims to do. BUT, he reacts.

<shrugs> They work for the stocking up too... I just don't leave him in a stall with them on any more.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

My horse wouldn't tolerate the BOT hock wraps either. He did the alternating holding one leg up.. then the other.. and had this wild look in his eyes.. he just couldn't stand it.

I tried a few more times and gave up. It wasn't essential, just something I thought might help him. Fortunately the people at BOT let me send them back in exchange for pillow wraps Those he likes just fine.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

WOW thanks everyone... ok, so it is possible for a horse to tolerate pretty much anything except hock wraps, and with the possible heating of the BOT there could be a legitimate reason... ok, I'll probably try a time or two more but if he's fussing, I'll honor his opinion.

I'm like you horse-loverz, just figured they might help but its not essential.

If you give up on them let me know, I have an oldster that would love them!

My gelding was fine with them on, he wore them overnight with no problem.....however if I leave them on too long I have found them on the ground And my standing wraps have holes in them...lol

I really like the pillow wraps!
    Member of the "My Saddlebred can do anything your horse can do" clique