The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The newer Ansurs

I tried an Ansur dressage saddle 6-8 years ago (possibly longer).

Thought it felt like a giant suede Kotex.

But at the Scottsdale Ay-rab show yesterday, I sat in some newer Ansurs, and they actually felt like real saddles.

Anyone have experience with both the older & the newer versions? Or even just the newer ones?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Not the dressage model, but I do have the CC model, the Hunter Elite. It does indeed feel like a normal saddle for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    Thought it felt like a giant suede Kotex.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Just about everyone at our barn has some version of the Ansur, and everyone really loves them. I have one of the Classic models, and really feel comfortable with it, but am considering an upgrade to the newest model...after I save my pennies for a while!

I looked up this new Ansur saddle and I was astonished at the price! Wowsers! I used to own an Ansur Classic and a Carlton and still have a Konklusion. None of them cost close to what this one does!

I wanted to point out that the Fhoenix saddle by Enlightened Equitation (that I ride in now) is a $1000 less expensive. I have not ridden in the newer Ansur...it certainly looks nice...but for that price...I don't know. I'd at least test ride the Fhoenix if you are in the market before making a decision. I can vouch for the Fhoenix...I love mine.

http://www.enlightenedequitation.com/fhoenix.htm

my horse HATED the Konklusion and refused to jump in it although it felt ok to me.
    I can't afford to try the new ansurs.

The funky spellings and phonetic names Ansur...Answer.... get it?... does not help these unorthodox and very expensive saddles.

Or perhaps for some people, all these hallmarks of innovation do do the selling job.

Just being the stick in the mud you guys already expected.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

They are much less $$ than many traditional saddles The Hunter Elite is, afaik, cheaper than a Prestige, certainly cheaper than a County, maybe half the price of a CWD.

The new model CC saddle really isn't all that unorthodox looking.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    They are much less $$ than many traditional saddles The Hunter Elite is, afaik, cheaper than a Prestige, certainly cheaper than a County, maybe half the price of a CWD.

The new model CC saddle really isn't all that unorthodox looking.
    Can't say I agree with that. I don't think you can compare them to a Prestige or even a County. The Phoenix at least $2500 and the new Ansurs $4000, definitely in Schleese-type territory. And I'm sorry but they don't look like they're worth it. At least the old Ansurs didn't. Mine looked junky after a few years of use. And there are a few Phoenix's in the barn, it doesn't look like a $2500 saddle to me, the leather quality doesn't compare. I tried riding in it and the stirrup is set so far back i couldn't keep my leg in the right place. You'd think after this many years in business (previously Balance) they'd know where to put the darn stirrup bar.

Ok, first, I was talking about the Hunter Elite, not the Dressage model. And, I said AFAIK. However, in looking at the new prices, they are about $700 more than they were when I got mine. At $3500 for the new Hunter Elite, that IS in the range of a County, it IS cheaper than a CWD, and it's well within line of most of the Prestige CC saddles (and cheaper than a few).

The new Hunter Elite is not even in the same category as the old Konklusion. I borrowed DDB's for a weekend or so and rode in that, and felt like I was riding in a glorified bareback saddle (not necessarily a bad thing). The Hunter Elite give the rider support much closer to that of a traditional treed saddle (not the same, close to), IMHO

I in no way put the Phoenix in my comments because I know zip about them.

As for stirrup bars - there is a reason some saddles have them forward, some have them back - there are differently conformed riders. Where I like my stirrup bar may be horrid for you. There is no single placement.

There's something about them that looks unfinished to me.

IIRC, the skirts are just a single piece of rather thick leather, with no stitching or embossing along the edge. I think that's what stands out at me and looks like it's a saddle design that's still in beta.

Heidi & Michael & Nina & guest-designer-of-the-week would not be impressed with the lack of attention to detail, I think

Could be wrong, of course. I so frequently am.

Here is my Hunter Elite so you can see a real live one that's been used
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9...D550/ry%3D400/
    Last edited by JB; Feb. 18, 2010 at 03:48 PM.

Why are you selling it JB?

Ooops, I forgot what the link was called I'll go back and put in individual picture links

Oh sorry! I wasn't trying to get you in trouble! I was only curious!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I in no way put the Phoenix in my comments because I know zip about them.
    I know, I took the opportunity to respond to both your comment and other knowledge about treeless saddles in general. And, I didn't even know there was a Hunter Elite, just the Konklusion and the dressage.
    As for stirrup bars - there is a reason some saddles have them forward, some have them back - there are differently conformed riders. Where I like my stirrup bar may be horrid for you. There is no single placement.
    I know that as well, but these are, way far back, and I don't know anyone yet who thinks they're in the right place for them. They're using the saddle despite that fact.
    Last edited by Androcles; Feb. 18, 2010 at 11:01 PM.

I too sat in the latest dressage model at the Scottsdale show and was not impressed with the leather at all. It was very stiff and I could not see shelling out that kind of money for cardboard.

The saddle in JB's photos looks much nicer than the new ones I saw at the Scottsdale show. Maybe it's the lighting, or the patina of a used and well-cared-for saddle.

Too bad I don't have a picture of my saddle when I got it. I can't tell you now whether it was "cardboard" looking/feeling or not. I don't recall that though. Mine is the original model, and it's been a few years, so I can't tell you what they might have done regarding the leather in the meantime. Mine isn't super-supple leather, but it's far from cardboard.