The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spinoff: People who can afford horses, What was your college major?

So I know there is a thread is a thread for trainers but I'd love to hear from horse owners that can *afford* horses and what they majored in. As much as I'd enjoy having a career in horses I am not a talented enough rider, so I know I need a career that will increase the likelihood of keeping horses in my life.

I will be a freshman in college starting in the fall (really really excited). Currently I am aiming towards going into pharmacy but that gives me the freedom to major in whatever I like as long as I get my pre-requisites done for Pharmacy school. BUT if I end up changing my mind or don't get into professional school I need to have a degree in something that I can still get a job with.

So what is your major? How has it aided you in finding a job? Do you wish you had majored in something else? If so, what?

Thanks!!
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

So I'm an education major, not the best choice in the world but I'll make it work, especially if BF and I do get married like we plan because he's doing computer science engineering

However, my parents have no problems paying for the horses and all horsey related things. My Mom is in medical sales and my Dad is Assistant VP of Human Resources at the same university I attend. He has a law degree but doesn't practice, although he does use his knowledge of the law in his job and it was a bonus when they hired him. Mom does very well but her first job was selling shoes so you do have to work your way up

Most importantly do something you enjoy. I could have been a number of different things but teaching is my passion and my calling and though I will have to really manage my money carefully to be able to afford my horse, I wouldn't have it any other way. You'll spend a lot of time working, don't pick something that you'll hate just because it makes more money. (Not saying this is what you're doing but an important PSA nonetheless)
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Bwahaha. My husbands major is computer information technology. Seriously though my BA is Art History, my masters is in Library Science and I will have a career as a public librarian or fine arts librarian (university, school, etc.) which pays reasonably well. I'll be getting my PhD which pays that much better.

I took part-time "distance education" courses at a local college while completing highschool (GED) and working full-time and got a "legal secretary certificate". I've been working for five years at a law firm for a wonderful boss. I love my job and can afford my horse. Was able to fast-track through highschool/college that way, own my own new car by the time I was 19 and bought my first house at the age of 23. (I am 27 now). I will never have the education background for a really high-level professional career, but I was also never in debt for school (or anything else other than a mortgage).

So, there are some of us out there who can afford horses without having gone to college.

BW Electrical Engineering
    MS Information Technology

I bought my first horse about five months after graduation, and my first house about 18 months later.

I have a bachelor's in history from a liberal arts college. Cannot overstate the value of a liberal arts education!

Career- Federal government, since 1975, alternating between environmental compliance (including at present) and general management positions.

Registered Massage Therapist, but back in school for a B of Arts concentration (or major, I really need to decide) in English before the M of Ed

..... I'm going to be in school till I'm 30......
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I got my BA in geography. I started out thinking I would go for chemistry or biology, and found out that I actually didn't like those subjects very much. I loved geography. It didn't prepare me for any kind of career in particular, but I couldn't see the point of making myself miserable in college for the sake of possible future money. It was a lot easier to work hard at something I liked, rather than something I dreaded (and hard work really is important). At that point I decided I would rather worry about money later. And it worked out - I later went to a community college for a little more vocational-type training and now have an awesome job that is only semi-related to what I studied in college, and very related to that vocational training. I'm also able to afford to keep my horse! It was dicey for a while right out of college, but it worked out. I did keep living at my parents' home for quite a while to be able to pull it off, too.

The best advice I think I can give anyone in college is find something that makes you happy, and go from there. Don't set yourself up for something you don't like for the sake of money. It's important, but not as important as your sanity!

Double major in Econ and Soc, although what I do right now doesn't really use much of my education (insurance underwriter)

I don't have my own horse and I am married, but if I was living on my own I would be able to afford one. I think that pharmacy tract sounds like a good idea if its something you think you would enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by KonaPony View Post
    The best advice I think I can give anyone in college is find something that makes you happy, and go from there. Don't set yourself up for something you don't like for the sake of money. It's important, but not as important as your sanity!
    This is the battle in my head: I absolutely agree with the statement quoted but I need horses for my sanity; Yet I need $$ for horses.

Anyways, I'm really looking towards possibly a humanities degree and a minor in the sciences. It is so hard to choose, I love learning about everything. Right now the top contenders are Philosophy/English/Classics -- I just keep imagining all of the critical thinking I'll be able to do. I'll admit that I really am a nerd; I love me some NPR and I'm already listening to courses from the Ivy's through itunes, it is all just so interesting to me.

Thanks for all the comments and keep them coming. It is so neat to hear about other people's paths through college.
    “It's about the horse and that's it.” - GM

!! is the new .

Quote Originally Posted by *JumpIt* View Post
    I need horses for my sanity; Yet I need $$ for horses.
    I was/am in the same boat. Not to worry, the money will come. Be flexible, patient and work hard. It will work out. Your choice of major for your bachelor's degree may not even have much to do with your career. I managed to end up in software testing (among other things)! You just never know.

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

I am a RN.. flexibilty of schedule and $$ for horses..
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

From one academic nerd to another, I say go for the Philosophy/English/Classics if that's what you're passionate about! Heck, maybe you'll get a job at NPR someday. I majored in English and graduated in '08 (own two horses). I haven't been able to find a decent job in my field since then, but I mostly attribute that to this terrible economy rather than a "problem" with my field of study.

It seems to me that fields like English and the like can later become applicable to many things but don't specifically get your foot in the door for one type of career. Conversely, there are the fields that are very specific and really set you up for work, but only in a specific area (for instance, my boyfriend is getting his degree in audio engineering). One thing I would definitely advise if you go the humanities route is to make sure you get some good experiences interning/etc. while you're in school -- there are jobs waiting for humanities majors out there but they like for you to have had some experience. My biggest regret coming from college was that I never did any internships, and now that stinks big time while looking for work.

When it comes down to it, I agree with the other folks who say to do/study what you love and find a way to make a horse-supporting living out of it. Things will work out, and you'll be doing something that makes you happy and supports the other thing that makes you happy!

College major was English; currently in law enforcement.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Well, I'll dissent and say that you are right to think prospectively about what you will actually DO with your degree.

I double majored in English Literature and History, with minors in Philosophy and Political Science. It prepared me very well for additional schooling in an actual field. I knew ahead of time that undergrad was just a box to check before I went to law school, so I focused on getting through quickly and doing as well as possible so I could get in to a great law school.

That plan definitely paid off. I'm 28, have been practicing since I was 23, and have spent that time paying off my student loans and then socking away a ton of money that now offers me the flexibility to buy my own horse farm, stay at home with my kid, and do the occasional legal work on a very part-time basis.

BSC(Hons) in Human Genetics, working in computing. Own and care for 3 horses. Skills most in demand are science related and more recently, the biological sciences have really advanced and opened up new avenues and job opportunities. If you have Maths and Physics, getting a job is really easy. Else, become an accountant or an actuary. They are always well-off. Another thing to consider is the flexibility of your job in terms of working hours. No point in owning a horse if you never have time for it. I work flexihours, and don't deal with clients, so a lot of my work can be done from home or outside of normal business hours.

medical school.

Undergraduate degree in Accounting. MBA in Finance. Certified Public Accountant and Certified Management Accountant. Having both certificates gives me the option of working in either public accounting, or private industry. I would not want to have my own CPA firm. Too much work! The key is finding a job where you can afford the horse, and have enough time off to show and/or enjoy it.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Majored in chemistry; now write fiction. It took several years of work before the fiction writing actually paid enough to live on, but on the other hand, I've got the world's most flexible schedule.

I have a degree in Communications, but it is the Mrs. that is allowing me to have horses. I have the best husband