The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you buy fresh eggs?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 63.16%
  • No, but I would if I knew where to get some locally

10 26.32%
  • No, I just buy them from the grocery store

4 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fresh eggs

Who here buys fresh eggs from someone with a small number of chickens in their backyard? Where did you find that person's information to get your eggs?

If you don't buy fresh eggs, who would be interested if they knew someone local who could provide eggs?

Yes and no. Our horse vet gives us eggs when we see her, but otherwise we just get store ones

I recently found that I can get fresh eggs through my feed store. I'd start there, if they sell chicken feed, I bet they know someone who has eggs to sell.

I sell 'em and have regular customers.

Not sure why you're asking but if you're interested in marketing your flock you could start with eatwild.com and see where that takes you.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I sell my flock's produce to the staff at the school I work at. Have no trouble getting rid of 4 dozen a week at $3/doz. Mine are cage-free, organic, brown. Start at your work. Ask to sell thru your feed store.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

LOVE fresh eggs. I considered getting my own chickens, but realized that there were half a dozen people within a couple miles of me that have their own flocks. The eggs are cheaper AND taste better.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I sure do! There's a guy in my office who has a small farm. He raises primarily chickens and pigs. Since he lives a three-hour drive away, he works from home most of the week except Monday & Friday. So, if I want eggs I send him an email and bring the cash when he's next in the office. Instant eggs, delivered right to my desk!

And they are the most fantastic eggs I've ever eaten. I haven't bought grocery store eggs in two years since I discovered he had these!

One of my customers... I sell her stuff and she sells me stuff. Perfect system. And good fresh eggs.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

I vote "None of the above" because my sister keeps a few hens for me. I can have all the fresh eggs I want!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

My best friend keeps a flock so I get them whenever I want. I love fresh eggs, she sells them mostly at work and has no trouble getting repeat customers.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

Delivered to work in the cartain by a coworker.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I buy them at a local farmer stand, and sometimes my riding instructor's wife gives me some from their chickens

I bought "fresh, local, eggs" at a whole foods store only to have them stand upright when I put them on to boil. I found even more local eggs at a third of the price really fresh year round.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

I have my own chickens. They produce so many eggs that we can't eat them all. Neighbors take some, but still doesn't make a dent. I feed some to the pot-bellied pig.

We get them when we can from one of the women at the barn who has a little hobby farm. I would love to have our own chickens!!

My friend gives me some whenever I see her, but, otherwise, I have to depend on store bought eggs. And, there is quite a difference.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

There's a flock at the barn, and yes, I have used the excuse that "we need eggs" to go ride :-)

When I'm too late, I buy the bulk free range eggs at the local grocery, they aren't quite as good, but better than most.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    Proud mama to Skier's Gold and pony angels Pretty Gritty, Timely Eagle and Festive Fashion.

Since I am presently (and hopefully temporarily) chickenless, I get them from my mother. They taste completely different. You know... like EGGS
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

I have done in the past, and while I enjoyed supporting local small farmers, and even paid a small premium to do so, I absolutely could not taste any difference in the eggs. None whatsoever. They tasted like eggs, same as the grocery store ones.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

The problem with eatwild.com is that you have to pay a $35 fee, your chickens have to be pasture-kept except during inclement weather, and I think you are not allowed to even worm them. That is completely unrealistic for me. We have too many predators for me to let mine free-range almost 24/7, plus I would never find their eggs.

I figured maybe someone else had the same issues on how to get rid of all the eggs! We cannot take them to work, as I don't work and hubby works at a prison and cannot take in a whole dozen eggs. For now we are just giving them away, but it would be nice to get a little money to help with feed costs.

I have tossed around the idea of starting a website to advertise that doesn't have all the strings of the others out there, just not sure how realistic that would be. It would need to at least break even financially.