The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Churches Pay Taxes

Discuss.

Yes, the businesses run by churches should.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I think they should. For all the problems they bring to my area, the least they could do is contribute something to the local budgets. There are so many religious centers here, you'd think every deity or divine being imaginable was physically residing in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    you'd think every deity or divine being imaginable was physically residing in the area.

Congress?

he was talking about divine matters...not government.

But with 2 pages of churches in the phonebook I concur with him

there are 2 things flourishing in my area: check cashing places ans churches...and churches torpedo very successfully any means of the state to generate revenue that does not involve raising taxes: Lottery....(don't even mention the trips they take to Mississippi...for the food, you know...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    he was talking about divine matters...not government.
    )
    That was a joke! Lex lives in the DC area (or did at one time)

LOL, I know (that it was a joke)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Yes. So should mosques, synagogues, Buddhist temples, etc.

Honestly, when I drive past some of these mega-churches with gymnasium facilities bigger and better than some universities, it's a little offensive to know they aren't paying any income or property tax.

Absolutely.
    Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

As much as some of them (houses of worship in general, not just churches) like to get involved in politics, I would like to see them paying taxes.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Yes. Far too many churches are involved in politics in a way that blatantly violates their 501c3 status.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedSorrel View Post
    Far too many churches are involved in politics in a way that blatantly violates their 501c3 status.
    Oh - all the big charities are heavily involved in politics. It's quite a racket.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Posing this as a discussion item: if places of worship (to be as inclusive as possible) pay taxes, and that leads to a lower level of charitable care--and be honest, many of the larger, long-established denominations have extensive charitable orgs. working here and abroad--who then picks up that slack?

Tax payers?

Federal or state or local govt.?

I don't know the answer.

I do know that some tax exempt organizations are nothing but money making fronts for the "owners". I have an issue with that.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Anything involving politics is usually quite the racket!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Posing this as a discussion item: if places of worship (to be as inclusive as possible) pay taxes, and that leads to a lower level of charitable care--and be honest, many of the larger, long-established denominations have extensive charitable orgs. working here and abroad--who then picks up that slack?

Tax payers?

Federal or state or local govt.?

I don't know the answer.

I do know that some tax exempt organizations are nothing but money making fronts for the "owners". I have an issue with that.
    Most of them do far less than they like you to believe or are very picky about whome they chose to help.

We are talking of deals like Missionaries in chine and relocating the church so 'them' don't come to worship.

Lot's of nasty stuff under the cover of 'good devout Christians' <vomit icon>

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    They may have extensive charitable orgs, but they also have obscene amounts of money, and there's quite a lot that doesn't go to charity. Do pastors/priests/preachers really need to be driven around in limousines? Have you seen the living quarters that the senior personnel of various religious establishments reside in? They live quite the posh lifestyle. For those who have taken vows of poverty, why are they residing in mansions? Tax free.

Religion is big business. It should be taxed as such. Money which is actually used for charitable causes can be deducted, just as with any business. I bet you would find *more* money actually goes to charity if they had to pay taxes on the excess that didn't.

OTOH from the glitzy megachurches, there are plenty of 100 year old congregations around Cincinnati like the one I grew up in. They can barely balance the budget each year, they stretch to pay the pastor the average salary of the members, and they had to get up the manse. Which was an old 2-3 bedroom ranch, anyway.

For the churches that do keep expenses down, the politics out, and then run food pantries, First Step, Interfaith Hospitality Network shelters, etc - yes, taxing them will reduce services to the community.

Show me a workable formula for sorting 'reasonable' from 'excess' for tax-exempt organizations in general and I can see it happening. It's finding a reasonable way to determine 'reasonable' that gets to be a challenge.

Could there be a way for churches to pay taxes on money not spent specifically on their purpose? Is a gym serving the purpose of a church? Not really...

I like small churches - and the ones I typically go to barely survive as is, paying taxes would probably do them in. The last one we went to typically had less than 75 people in the sanctuary on Sundays. The pastor might have gotten paid a pittance, but not enough to live off of. The church ran the only local food pantry, too. They were GOOD people doing GOOD work. I've had trouble finding a church I like as much since then....

Its a tough deal, because I think those small struggling GOOD churches are fewer and further between. I don't understand churches with bazillions of dollars, huge facilities (do you REALLY need a former basketball arena to have a good church???) and pastors who take on rock-star status...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Could there be a way for churches to pay taxes on money not spent specifically on their purpose? Is a gym serving the purpose of a church? Not really...

I like small churches - and the ones I typically go to barely survive as is, paying taxes would probably do them in. The last one we went to typically had less than 75 people in the sanctuary on Sundays. The pastor might have gotten paid a pittance, but not enough to live off of. The church ran the only local food pantry, too. They were GOOD people doing GOOD work. I've had trouble finding a church I like as much since then....

Its a tough deal, because I think those small struggling GOOD churches are fewer and further between. I don't understand churches with bazillions of dollars, huge facilities (do you REALLY need a former basketball arena to have a good church???) and pastors who take on rock-star status...
    Well, poor people get money back from the taxes, even if they hardly paid any in...