The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So.. The Aussie Puppy.. I Still Have Her. Sigh.

If anyone remembers that I found an Aussie puppy, well, she is still w/me.

I had NO IDEA these dogs were so hard to find proper homes for.

I have had some very ideal people see if she can get along w/their dogs and it's been a no-go. Apparently she is The Queen Bitch Of All Aussies. Although she accepts a human informing her that she has to step down to Princess status post haste!

So anyway I am still looking for a home for her. Aussie rescue has not been very helpful., which I understand.

Tuesday she gets spayed.

I cannot keep this dog. I am not of the temperament to have The Queen Bitch Of All Aussies. But neither can I, in good conscience, give this dog to someone who intends to "turn her loose w/their dogs and see what happens" "see if she'll stay around the house since we have 100 acres" or anything like that, now that I understand who she is..

sigh. How do those of you who foster dogs do this? I have her in my tack room. When I walk her she and my dogs absolutely ignore each other.. but I am not enjoying walking a dog 3-4 times a day in our current weather pattern - and I really don't have time.

Tips? Suggestions as far as managing her? I am seriously considering buying her a dog run, but the idea of her in there, barking and carrying on.. ugh..

no good deed ever goes unpunished.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Do you think she is trainable? Sounds like she has attitude- just thinking if you "market" her to agility folks...they are used to dealing with difficult personalities. One place many of my friends by their border collies from ranks their tempermant from relax (which is NOT relaxed IMO!) to- peel them off the ceiling.

Can you post pics of her- or send them to me?- I would happily get the word out about her on agility forums.

I guess your other option is to say she has to go to a one dog only home.

What aussie rescue are you talking to...I know the one around here is very active and might even be able to find a foster home. Aussies are pretty popular in the northeast.

Ah hah.... it is the Hell Bitch, back to haunt you..........

Honestly though, tough spot to be in. I'm not a huge fan of Aussies having had a couple poor experiences with them. The dog run my only make her behavior worse, unfortunately. Sounds like she needs a nice, educated home with a single person whom she can bond with and who can keep her little tail in line.

Good luck, hpoe she finds new digs soon!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Did you recontact Jeremi???

Also, you could post her under FREE TO A GOOD HOME on the NC HORSE NEWS board.

It's too bad you are in NC. I have a thing for evil aussies- My parents's dog is an aussie/golden who takes strongly from the aussie side and I adore her. I have a bad habit of fostering the high energy, crazy dogs from the animal shelter.

Oh well- I'm in Oregon, living in town in a no-dog rental and going to college, so it's probably a good thing Is she house trained?

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Did you recontact Jeremi???
    Ahhhhh! I will do that! So many emails.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Here's the thing about this dog.

She is house trained. She sits, lays, stays, comes, loves my kids. Her obedience training is incredible, especially when you consider she is only about 5 months old. She is beautiful.

I can tell.. if I let her off lead she is GONE. The first squirrel... the first cat...

she just doesn't know THIS part of it yet.

She's not high energy. She doesn't chew, she doesn't fuss, she's not high strung.

She's great. She's just going to get lost again with the wrong person.

So she is still in my tack room!

FG, don't you even utter those words, that freaks me out
    ---

Aussie puppies are special. And I mean this in all meanings of the word.

Kenneling them (not crating, but outdoor kennel) does not give them a good start. They need proper socialization or they end up a wreck. Barking, digging, self-destructive behaviours, not good at all.

From your description it sounds like she's pretty laid back temperment wise, and would make a great housedog. My 2 are like that.

Is there an aussie breeder in your area you could contact? They might have some ideas for you, or maybe know someone who would be willing to take her in.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Sigh. I know about kenneling, I have three dogs and no dog kennel. They are all quite well trained.

If I had wanted a puppy to train I would have gotten one. I do not have the time or energy to train a puppy like this right now. I enforce what she already knows and try to spend as much time with her as I can. Believe me, it beats the hell out of where she was (on the side of the road, in the snow, with a injured leg, 15 lbs. underweight).

Thank you for the suggestion. I have wore out the local Aussie people, they don't want to hear my name anymore.
    ---

Send me a PM?

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I second the idea about phoning Aussie breeders, even by email. I have a couple of "passive" ads out there (honestly, I don't even know where the ads are -I posted them YEARS ago) -I RARELY breed and haven't in two years but I still regularly get phone calls from people wanting puppies.

If I knew of a Aussie puppy in my area, I would gladly pass the info along to people who call me.

finally, screen, screen screen those potential owners. Jeez. There are a lot of bad Aussie owners out there.

Also, contact your vet -they often have to put down dogs and some people need a puppy SOON after losing a beloved animal. They might help you place, especially if you make up a flyer with photo (let the vet and staff know the type of home you are looking for).
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

I really wish I hadn't read your follow up post. Now I really want her. Must stop reading this thread.

I will take her to the airport!
    ---

Hhhhmmm - used to breed Aussies and quite familiar with the temperment. Am also quite used to having a dog that needs to be kept on leash or will run (can run in a fenced yard, right?).

How is she with cats?

I'm in central VA area... not really looking for a dog BUT I also know how special this type of Aussie can be and the type of home needed...
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by oldenmare View Post
    Hhhhmmm - used to breed Aussies and quite familiar with the temperment. Am also quite used to having a dog that needs to be kept on leash or will run (can run in a fenced yard, right?).

How is she with cats?

I'm in central VA area... not really looking for a dog BUT I also know how special this type of Aussie can be and the type of home needed...
    I am sure she will be fine in a fenced yard. I am also confident she can be trained to not chase things or to run away. She would chase my cat if I let her. My barn cat has kicked her butt all over the tack room so not sure what message that has sent her she has the bloody nose and ears to prove it.

She is smart and wants to please. She has an incredible amount of training in place for such a young dog. Central VA.. I'm in central/northern NC. Hmmm.

Here's a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MissAussie.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	28211  
    ---

I really hope this girl finds a home. She sounds just lovely

after seeing pic...
    * I don't need 3, I don't need 3, I don't need 3. Ceidleigh will not allow it!!! *

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I have to admit.. and this is not directed at anyone here - but I really feel upset towards the rescue people. NO ONE has offered to help me get this puppy set up with me as a foster home. Everyone just says "Oh DON'T TAKE HER TO THE SHELTER" and when I say I won't then they go (in so many words) "Phew! Well, we cannot possibly take her and since you are not going to take her to the shelter.. good luck with that!"

I KNOW they are full and I KNOW they are overwhelmed but I think there is more that they could do even if they cannot take her. This is a purebred Aussie puppy, obviously well trained, obviously going to be a great dog for someone who knows this breed.. and I clearly do not have a way to find the right home for this dog. I would be happy to keep her if they would work on it, while they did. Not a single offer to do so.

I have always done all my rescue independently and I guess this one will be done that way, too... I just feel out of my league on this one and living in my tack room is not advancing her life or training at all. Is it bad? No. But she's a puppy and it's not in her best interest.
    ---

EqTrainer:

We should talk more - you can reach me at oldenmare@yahoo.com. Tomorrow, that is. I must go sleep now as tomorrow is a work day. Ugh.

I really think Rhyadawn needs her - Three's Company, after all!!!

OM
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

It's tough, because they are so overwhelmed. Aussies are adorable as little puppies, and people hear that they are such great family dogs so they get one, with no idea of the blood, sweat, tears and so often heartache it takes to get the wonderful productive members of society that they have been exposed to.

I admit I probably traumatize people away from them as a breed when they see mine and say that they want one. I tell them everything awful about them from their above average intelligence and just what that means to all the hair that they shed, how needy they are. Everything. Because I don't ever want to see another aussie in the types of homes that I got mine from.

I get that your frustrated too. I'm making some calls for you.

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!