The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Birth control

Can we have a thread on the best methods of BC? Good topic for Valentine's Day!

I'm 25, married, happy, and don't want to get pregnant for 2-3 years. You wouldn't think BC would be that big of a deal right now, but we're having a hard time.

I did pills for 6 years (Yaz and Yasmin), but decided to go off a year ago because they killed my sex drive and my breasts got veeerrryyy sore and tender. Since then, we've been alternating between condoms (DH is happy about that, let me tell you ) during the fertile times of the month and spermicide gel for the rest (okay stuff, but kind of messy and it isn't as effective as other methods).

This morning, we had a BC fail, and I had to go and get the Plan B pill (OMG...did you know it costs $48? I know they don't want it used casually, but still. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?). Now, we're kind of on where to go from here. DH wants me to go back on the pill, but I feel much better off. It may be the best choice though.

Ideally I'd like an IUD, but OBGYN is reluctant to do them in women who haven't had a child.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have been on depo provera for 10 years. It was a lifesaver for me...but I don't use it for birth control, I use it for ovary control.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Abstinance. doG says it's the only approved method endorsed by the religious right.

You really need to get medical advice from a doctor, not an internet bulletin board. Call your local Planned Parenthood if you don't like your doctor.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I've been on Depo for years and love it. Its works great on me and doesn't kill the drive like the pill does. And I never forget to take it!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Ideally I'd like an IUD, but OBGYN is reluctant to do them in women who haven't had a child.

Caitlin
    Then I would get a new OB. Ask around on any of the sex/fertility/family planning boards and it's more than common for women without used uteruses to get an IUD. I was going to get Mirena but decided we wanted kids sooner. I've never actually been on birth control and now I'm glad since apparently my ovaries are broken. It would have been wasted money.

I have been on depo provera for 6 years. We tried it initially after many different pills failed to stop heavy periods - since I've been on the depo, I haven't had a period & haven't had a BC fail. It's an IM injection every 3 months.

If you're on it long term (over 2 yrs, IIRC), my GYN says you need to take a calcium/vit. D supplement. No biggie.

Hysterectomy! Best thing I ever did! No chance of kids ever!

Seriously....Have you tried a lower dose of BC?

The Plan B is cheaper than a kid!

Go back to your doctor and have this discussion with the MD. There are other options. Try the barrier method of a sponge if it is still available.

There are other options.

Good Luck!

I worry about the coincidence in the introduction of the pill and the huge increase in breast cancer in women of that and later generations.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    You really need to get medical advice from a doctor, not an internet bulletin board. Call your local Planned Parenthood if you don't like your doctor.
    I don't think there's anything at all wrong about discussing birth control with other women. I wish womens' gynecological issues, questions, and concerns were discussed more openly instead of so "hush hush, don't discuss your vagina and uterus with anyone else besides an MD behind closed doors." KWIM? Sure... you wouldn't want someone on the internet to diagnose you with something, but this is totally different...

I'm a NP (nulliparous, aka never had children) woman and my GYN had NO problem giving me a Mirena IUD. I think sometimes OB/GYN docs who focus primarily on the OB side of it are a little less open to long-term BC (at least in my experiences, for whatever that's worth).

And I absolutely LOVE my Mirena IUD! I'm on my third year with it and it's awesome... NO periods! I had a few random, light-spotty two-day-long periods for the first six months... then one more six months after that, then nothing since! It's awesome! No mood swings, no tenderness, no diminished libido... basically none of the nasty side effects which turned me off the pill.

The insertion was slightly unpleasant, but it was quick and was more like a few seconds of fist-clenchingly sharp cramp. Not bad at all (my GYN did give me a cervix relaxant to take the day before, though, so that probably helped).

The Mirena (unlike the copper IUD, Paragard--which lasts ten) lasts for five years and has a very low-dosage hormone (levonorgestrel) which is slow-release and not nearly as harsh as oral contraceptive, in my experience.

Anyway, I highly recommend it! Find a GYN who is more willing to give you some bodily autonomy, I say.

After years of struggling with many variations of the pill with not-so stellar side effects, my doc suggested the NuvaRing. I was skeptical at first but I love it now. Easy, no hassle, and no side effects! You can PM me if you have any questions about it.

I have several friends with the Mirena IUD that haven't had kids yet and they seem to like it a lot.

I'm on the pill (Seasonal) and love it, so I haven't had any reason to try an IUD- but my friends that have the IUD have all been really pleased with it.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I was on Depo Provera for years prior to having kids. It was extremely convenient ( I was horrible at remembering to take the pill!) and no side effects, although I know a couple people who were on it that had problems with gaining weight. One drawback is that once you are ready to go off of it and try to get pregnant, it can take as long as a year for your body to start cycling again. I, on the other hand, did NOT have this problem. When we decided it was time, I was cycling and pregnant in two months!

I've never been preggers, also was tired of the pill and all its side effects (I had been on at least 6 different kinds over 7 years), so I decided to switch to the IUD about 2 years ago. My own gyno had no problem prescribing it, but when it came time to insert it (my periods were wacky, even on the pill-- I never knew when it was coming), my gyno was on vacation and another staff person-- a certified nurse midwife-- was the one to do the insertion.

At first the CNM told me I couldn't have the IUD, because I'd never been pregnant. When I pitched a fit, she checked with the doctor, who said it was OK. (I should have known THEN and asked to deal with someone other than her, hindsight being 20/20 and all.)

So she went ahead with the procedure. To make a long story short... I am by NO means a wuss when it comes to pain-- I have never taken a narcotic pain pill in my life, despite broken bones and surgeries-- but the pain of having the IUD inserted was beyond anything I have ever experienced, EVER. I almost threw up at one point and seriously thought I was going to pass out. The CNM had to call the doc in to do the insertion because she couldn't get it; she blamed the problems on the fact that I have never been pregnant before, as if I should have known better or something.

Came to find out afterwards that she didn't do anything at all to numb my cervix, which apparently should be "protocol" with nulliparous women.

With that being said, getting the IUD has been the best decision I ever made... periods have been practically nonexistent, and I don't even notice it's there (except when I check to make sure it's still there!). Hubby complained about "the stinger" for the first few months, but that was alleviated by changing positions a little, no big deal. For me, insertion notwithstanding, it's been the best BC decision I've made. (I did depo for 6 months before i started the pill, gained like 30 lbs. and turned into a raging lunatic. Was NOT a good fit for me.)

When my 5 years on the Mirena is up, I'll be 37... I've decided that, if we still don't want kids by then, either hubby or I am getting "fixed"-- the IUD has been convenient and all, but I don't want to do hormonal BC forever and I don't trust the other BC methods enough to rely on them.

Good luck with whatever you choose... you absolutely CAN get an IUD if you've never been preggers, but take it from me-- make SURE they do something significant for pain control, otherwise you may be in misery.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I'm another long term Depo patient (7 years) and I still love it! No periods! How awesome is that? I hated the pill, I hated NuvaRing, I hated the patch. Depo is cheaper than anything else I've tried - I've had it thru 2 different insurances and never paid more than $25 for the prescription (which is 3 months worth of coverage!) and its easy. I write the target date in my date book, call 2 weeks ahead to schedule and thats it. I think I might have gained some weight, but its nothing I probably would not have gained on my own in my mid30s anyway...

I've been on a tri-phasic BCP for...erm...I guess seven years or so. Happily. I did have an unfortunate two week period with a particular generic version of this, called my doc about it and got a Prescribe as Written change on my Rx. More spendy, and I had to snarl at the pharmacist when he said "they are the same..." I told him I don't just CRY for no reason and my skin does not do THIS to me at age 27. Back to normal, now.

I would like a TL, but being 28 and childless, it's a fat chance.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I was on the Nuva Ring and I have too highly recommend it in regards to the amount of horomone released and the convenience. I used it for about 3 years after trying the pill and the patch (which I HATED. It was horrible because the damn patch was like wearing a really sticky band-aid). The one big drawback is its pricey, I paid $30 a month. Also, not to be TMI, but you would have to continually push it back up "there", so if you have any qualms about that I would not recommend.

I recently went off though because I felt that after being on BC for 10+ years I wanted to give my body a break. DH and I have since switched to condoms.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

If I could afford a total hysterectomy, I would do it tomorrow. I do not want or need any of my reproductive organs. Heck if they could take the boobs too I would be happy with that.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I The one big drawback is its pricey, I paid $30 a month. Also, not to be TMI, but you would have to continually push it back up "there", so if you have any qualms about that I would not recommend.
    I've been using the Nuva Ring for a year and have never had problems with it straying from it's original position... maybe just different body shapes? Lol. I also get mine through PP, and because I qualify with income level, I get mine for free.