The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thinking about posting my saddle for sale on CL, any advise?

I am thinking about selling my "old" saddle, that no longer fits my horse, on Craig's List. I have in the past sold a saddle on Ebay, but after all the their fees, I felt kind of ripped off, so I was hoping to not go that route.

My question is, if you try to sell your saddle, or really anything of some value, on Craig's List, or even anywhere that you can't use Paypal, what payment method do you use? I have seen some posts about paying for horses, and doing wire transfers, but I am not sure how that actually works. I am hoping that I could get around $600 for my saddle, and I realize that not everyone has that much cash on hand. Nor would I want to take a personal check. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I've never sold a saddle on craigslist but I have sold many other things of a similar value. I accept cash or personal checks but not money orders. Why? Money orders can be counterfeit and you have no recourse of getting your money back. If a personal check bounces I can get money back including damages if necessary. Most craigslisters seem to understand that cash is king though

You can still use paypal as long as the person buying the saddle has paypal.

When I use Craigslist, the deal is either cash in person, PayPal, or a group trip to the bank where I WATCH them get the cashier's check drawn. Some people choose the third option, which is fine by me if it's a large amount of money.

[edit]
    Maybe try posting here on the COTH tack classifieds?
    How about posting a flyer at your local tack shop?
    Or, does your local tack shop accept consignments?
    If you do post on CL, be sure to write "Cash only. Local pick-up only" in the ad., otherwise you will get inundated with offers for some scam which proposes sending the saddle to some foreign country.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 15, 2010 at 09:32 AM.
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

[edit]

I thought about CL, because I thought it might be easier to sell that way. I bought my replacement saddle back in July and intended to sell the "old" saddle right away. After checking the going price for a saddle like mine, I kept waiting and hoping for the price to go back up. I now really need to think about getting what I can get for it.

I am kind of worried about the whole Paypal thing after reading about some people's horror stories about selling an item and then having the buyer stop payment through Paypal. I have bought and sold over 100 items on Ebay and never had a problem with Paypal, but I kind of am worried about getting scammed that way now.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 15, 2010 at 09:32 AM.

Cash in hand and a meeting in a public place. I sold a beval saddle in 48 hours off of craigslist for more then I paid for it to a very happy hunter trainer who was used to paying much more.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Cash in hand and a meeting in a public place. I sold a beval saddle in 48 hours off of craigslist for more then I paid for it to a very happy hunter trainer who was used to paying much more.

I'm curious, what kind of a "public place" would you consider appropriate for such a transaction of selling a saddle for cash??
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

If you do not live in an area where there are a lot of potential parties within driving distance, you need to indicate in your ad that you would consider shipping. I would never buy an expensive item like that long distance without Pay Pal or a similar service with protection. You can also use an escrow service where the money is held until the transaction is completed.

I met at a mcdonalds which was convenient.

However, I tend to be more trusting of fellow horse people especially if I am familar with the barn so I wouldn't have minded meeting at a barn and even letting them see if the saddle fit their horse first. It really depends on what is safe for you and I think it's less likely that a horse person would take your saddle and bash you over the head then if you were selling a tv or something. You can always take someone with you.

We removed the specifics about the saddle for sale to comply with the forums' no-advertising policy.

Forum classifieds advertising up to $1000 of merchandise are available for $20; $10 for $250 value. Magazine classifieds available with no dollar value limit.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    We removed the specifics about the saddle for sale to comply with the forums' no-advertising policy.

Forum classifieds advertising up to $1000 of merchandise are available for $20; $10 for $250 value. Magazine classifieds available with no dollar value limit.

Thanks!
    Mod 1
    Oops! Sorry, Ex-Racer Owner..I walked you right into that...I didn't realize that that would be considered an "advertisement" on this forum, just by curiosity, and I was not aware of the policy for such!
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

Default My bad!

That's why I didn't post it originally!! I thought it might be a problem. Don't worry Mods, I think the gullet size alone should have been enough to squash any interest!