The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scat Mat for kitties? Anyone use it?

Since my tax refund is coming this week, I am considering investing in some Scat Mats for my counters to keep the kitties off.

They're pretty pricey, but my cats drive me NUTS getting on the counter. One in particular is just insanely persistent- I've tried yelling, water bottles, squirt guns, throwing things at him, taking him off the counter and putting him in a "time out" in the bathroom. I read that cats hate citrus, so I even tried putting lemon juice on the counter when it wasn't in use!!! Nothing helps.

He "scavenges" constantly on the counter. I obsessively wipe it off with disinfectant, but unfortunately my roommate leaves dirty dishes in the sink or the unwashed George Foreman grill out at least once a week or so. This pretty much provides the cat with the reinforcement necessary to continue the behavior.

He also shamelessly will jump on the counter to steal food, even if I'm standing AT the food being prepared. No matter how negatively and over-the-top (or how little I respond), the behavior continues. It infuriates me, and I feel terrible that I get so frustrated with him.

I feel AWFUL about seriously considering getting a mat that will shock him, but I just don't know what else to do.

Has anyone tried Scat Mats? Did they work? Are they worth the $$?

They work great! I have three to keep the four-leggeds off the couch and other places they are not supposed to go.

You need a Blender Defender!!

http://lifehacker.com/5065378/diy-bl...s-off-counters

You can also try setting mousetraps on the counter. They won't hurt, but the snap should scare him off the counter. I've also seen some motion-activated sprayers that spray a citronella-based mist when the cat gets up on the counter.

A friend had good luck cleaning her counters with something that smells obnoxiously citrusy, like Orange-Glo. The smell is stronger than real citrus, and was enough to make the counters unappealing.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Default Scat Mat

Do you need one of these for every counter? I have one counter in particular that our cats jump on. But, if there is a dirty dish in the sink or anything even remotely interested on the other counters, the cats get up there, too. Ugh! CAN. NOT. STAND. IT. I am crazy disinfecting the counters several times a day because of this.

Our older cat will jump up and steal entire bags of bread and then take them someplace hidden for "the kill".

On another note, our newest cat has the very lovely habit of pooping in our bathtubs! This is in spite of having a very clean litter box (which she does use). I think she gets lazy and doesn't feel like going downstairs to the basement family room, so the nearest tub works just fine. I keep several inches of water in the guest bath, but that is very inconvenient in our master bath. So, I have to keep my bedroom door shut, which makes the living room dark.

Consequently, it is "OUT YOU GO" most days for these cats.

SCM1959

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

My kitty is the same way. The last time she jumped up on the counter in front of me, I scooped her into the sink and turned on the faucet.

Now she jumps on the counter when I'm in the living room, and she knows she has about 3 seconds to gloat before she better start running.

I also made it a VERY BIG DEAL when she jumped up on the counter. Every time she gets squirted with the industrial squirt bottle (high output, long range) and chased up to "her" room where she gets a time out.

I can't say it makes a darn bit of difference, but it does get my heart rate up.

I tried citrusy wipes. She did not care. I tried aluminum foil. She ate it.

She's a queer little cat.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

try getting a few bottles of Sssssscat. Its a bottle of compressed air with a motion sensor up to a meter, I believe. Its harmless other than shooting out a stream of air and making a loud "ssssssss" noise! I've found it extremely effective in keeping my cats out of rooms. They don't like the noise or the feeling of the air (have you ever tried blowing in your cats face? They get all scrunched and usually run away). I just don't like the idea of using an electric shock. You can find these at Petsmart, cost of the bottle is $35, refills are $13.

Some good tips here I will be looking into. Particularly after this morning, when I found that my kitties drug the roast I had set out a minute before onto the floor, tore open the paper, and chewed on it a bit. Ugh, won't be telling the dinner guests that story....

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Some good tips here I will be looking into. Particularly after this morning, when I found that my kitties drug the roast I had set out a minute before onto the floor, tore open the paper, and chewed on it a bit. Ugh, won't be telling the dinner guests that story....
    That sounds so familiar... ughhhh.

And to the above poster re: the bread. My bad(der) cat is a PRO at opening my pantry. It took me the better part of a year to realize my only option was putting a bar stool in front of the door to keep it closed. When I did that, i had a little celebration the day I finished a loaf of bread. It was the first loaf I finished myself in many, many months. The rest fell prey to the cats.

Of course, now smarty pants has learned how to knock over the barstool to get in, so we're back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    try getting a few bottles of Sssssscat. Its a bottle of compressed air with a motion sensor up to a meter, I believe. Its harmless other than shooting out a stream of air and making a loud "ssssssss" noise! I've found it extremely effective in keeping my cats out of rooms. They don't like the noise or the feeling of the air (have you ever tried blowing in your cats face? They get all scrunched and usually run away). I just don't like the idea of using an electric shock. You can find these at Petsmart, cost of the bottle is $35, refills are $13.
    Unfortunately I don't think this would work.

Despite the fact that my kitties have a very nice water fountain with a filter RIGHT next to my bed, they often insist on drinking out of my glass of water I keep on the nightstand. I try very hard to discourage this, and for several weeks I had a can of compressed air on my nightstand. I'd spray it "at" them when they went for my glass.

It was effective for about 10 days with the bad cat. Now he just scrunches up his face, braces a little, and then resumes whatever he was doing...

My cats thought it was fun...

WOOO! It's fun to get scared and fly up in the air....do it again, do it again!!!!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.