The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old School Facebook Users (The college years!)

Who else remembers using Facebook when it was a college-only networking site? This must have been 5+ years ago, when you needed a college e-mail address to join.

While there are many advantages to the site now, I do sometimes miss having no games, no fan pages, no layout changes every couple of months, and especially- wow, this was years ago!- clicking on the friends tab and seeing a list of friends who had updated their profiles with highlights over what they updated.

Ahhhhh, the good ole days.
    <><

Haha yep!! The days before elementary school kids and grandparents had facebook
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I remember first signing up for it and being all excited; it's completely changed now and has taken over my life just a little. It's neat through, some of my aunts and uncles who I don't get to see much are on there and it's a definite plus to be able to talk to them more often.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

Believe it or not, that was only 3 years ago! I'm a junior in college and joined with my college e-mail to be approved. It changed shortly after.

I don't mind other people having access to it (although teenagers can get annoying with so many posts) but I would be much happier without the games and apps and clutter.

I was one of the first 200 or so users at my school back in . . . 2004. My parents aren't on Facebook yet, and for that, I consider myself lucky. There's a huge difference between how people (1) who used it when it was just for college students and (2) who have only joined in the past couple of years, conceive of Facebook. When my ex Facebook married his bff last year, nobody who had joined Facebook after 2007 understood when I complained that he was only doing it because my relationship status had recently changed and he was trying to hurt me. They kept insisting that that meant he was really married (he wasn't).

Yeaaaah. I had it back when only about 15 colleges and universities had it (March 2004 ish?) I remember playing with it during finals that semester.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

Oh, it was more than 3 years ago.

I remember signing up for it junior year of college, and it was very exclusive then. That was fall 2004, I think. I miss the college-only days! There are too many damn people on it now, including my family LOL!

Yeah, I was in the first group of colleges who started it in 2003/2004(?) and it was definitely different! I just helped my mom create an account, eek...

I started college in 2003... definitely had to have a college email to join. Sometimes I miss it.. cause really having my mom, my aunts, uncles, older cousins, my UNDER 12 nieces/nephews ALL wanting to be my friend is annoying. I still haven't accepted my mom's friendship lol... she hasn't noticed really. I'm like really I don't want you to know everything I'm doing.

I remember. I wasn't in college then, but desperately wanted to join. I remember signing up as soon as it opened up to high schools, etc. and being so excited! Of course now I am in college and I do remember facebook back then, much different than it is now. I really hate all of the games and such.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

Not only did you need a college email, but you had to be a student at a certain school... Mostly just bigger universities, etc. Remember when on the homepage they would have lists of the newly accepted schools for facebook?
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

I joined in 05' and its gone to hell, IMO. Can't stand having little kids and older adults on FB. My friend's mom's are trying to friend me.

The truth is, you act differently around your friends then you would around your friend's parents. So I try to avoid friending any adults over 35 or kids under the age of 16. Then I don't have to worry about if my occassional outbursts of profanity ruin anyone's opinion of me.

I started College in 2003 and I remember my boyfriend at the time being like "look at this cool site just for college kids"

I sort of brushed it off because I believed that social networking sites were for creeps and pedophiles but signed up later that fall.

Sometimes I wish it didn't exist, there's things I don't want to know about people and people I don't really want to ever connect with again.

I love the feeling of logging on and seeing that your ex-boyfriend is "now engaged" to the girl he left you for... warm fuzzies !

I remember it way back in 2005 when I was waiting patiently for my college email address to arrive so I could join. I also remember that the Wall was much different- you could change what someone else wrote. Even though Facebook has gotten much bigger (and some might say worse), it's nicer because pretty much everyone is on it, so for me it's a great way to keep in touch with overseas friends.

remember when you could use it to find people in your classes?!

that's what i miss most (though i'm graduated now).

"hmm.. who's that cute kid in my History class??"

facebook has come a long way since then, but i do love how easy it makes communicating and event planning. i can get ahold of a WHOLE lot of people at once, and that's awesome.

plus, i'm the same person at work/home/with friends/with family, so i've got nothing to hide on facebook. i don't really care.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Aahh I remember those days! How long ago it seems, and how much it has changed! I can't believe how much money has been offered to the guy who started it all.. bet he didn't think it'd explode like this!
    I'd rather be riding!

Back when you could select your classes and then scope for hotties before the first class?

I remember emailing them like every day waiting for my college to be added! (I was already on from my first school)
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

ooh, I totally forgot about the people in the class searches! And I definitely remember when all the "new" colleges were listed on the homepage...