The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do we expect too much from our health care system?

We can do so much with current technology. But just because we can, should we? A recent article in Newsweek commented on the high percent of health care dollars spent during a person's last six months of life. We see premature babies surviving with birth weight of under two pounds, and at 26 weeks of gestation. Is the new "normal" excessive? Probably not, for the parent who desparately wants their baby to live, or for the older person who's not quite ready to pass on just yet. But from a sustainable, we're all in this together point of view, do we expect too much?

On an indvidual level, I just spent a couple of thousand dollars on some periodontal work. Insurance paid 80%. My teeth will remain my teeth for years to come because of it, I hope. My parents or grandparents would have just had the teeth rot and fall out. No big deal, they'd say, that's what's happens when you're old. Would I have it any other way? Hell no. Would I have a heart transplant if I needed one? I don't know.
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    My parents or grandparents would have just had the teeth rot and fall out. No big deal, they'd say, that's what's happens when you're old. Would I have it any other way? Hell no. Would I have a heart transplant if I needed one? I don't know.
    That's where the rubber meets the road-- when it's happening to you. Until people are willing to say "I wouldn't insist on that-- even for myself" we'll have the same short-sighted fights we do now.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thanks for posting that cajunbelle, I wish more people would realize how often this is happening.

Like when I go grocery shopping and see someone buying a crapload of unhealthy, processed food with their "Lone Star Card" (read food stamps), and then whip out a big wad of cash and buy booze and cigarettes. Makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Thanks for posting that cajunbelle, I wish more people would realize how often this is happening.

Like when I go grocery shopping and see someone buying a crapload of unhealthy, processed food with their "Lone Star Card" (read food stamps), and then whip out a big wad of cash and buy booze and cigarettes. Makes me sick.
    I moved my post to a Thread, I didn't want to confuse the subject of the OP.