The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any other runners?

Hi just wondering if there are any other runners on COTH...I am not a hardcore runner, I max out at about 15-20mi/week. I want to go farther but it seems like I just hit a wall at 3.5 miles.

I should add that I have only been on this running program seriously since jan 1. I wanted to lose weight, tone up and improve cardio-health, since I have always had sucky lungs. So far my breathing is better, but haven't lost a pound yet, and I think my jeans are tighter. WTF?

Any advice or encouragment???

I signed up for a PE class for similar reasons.

I also haven't lost a pound (and weighing 150lbs doesn't make me feel awesome). I'll tell you what others have told me , muscle weighs more than fat, and muscles takes up less space than fat. I know hearing that gets old.

I started using an elliptical at the school gym because I was worried about concussion and wimping out from discouragement. I've been running at home, mostly in the safety of the dark or early morning, safe from view. I'd also like to run more, but am adding slowly so haven't hit a wall yet.

I did an extra credit body composition analysis and came in around 26% fat on two different tests. That comes out to 44lbs of fat. Healthy is 22%, which would involve losing 15lbs of fat. I eat pretty well, but I'm thinking of cutting red meat and sugar from my diet. I feel a conflict though between wanting to lose that weight, and wanting to eat what ever I want in moderation because it tastes good.

I think I would have quit by now due to my results being..umm...nothing. But I actually enjoy running. It is a great stress reliever. I also run later in the day.

I am trying to eat clean, which means nothing processed, have cut out sugar, and don't eat red meat to begin with.

I am too terrified to find out what my body fat % is.

I'm just starting to run, I'm doing the Couch to 5k running plan and I have to say I love it! I just finished up week 5, I'm coming back from a knee injury, so I have repeated a few days in the program.

I think I've lost about 3-4 pounds so far since I started in January but I've also majorly revamped my eating habits and style. Anyway, that Cool Running website has lots of running plans and advice. They might have some suggestions for increasing your distance
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

Started out five years ago running one mile, after having been the fat kid who couldn't finish a mile in junior high gym class... worked up to a 5k two and a half years ago - qualified for the Boston Marathon last fall and running that in 2 months. I haven't lost a pound (in the past 5 years - lost many since I was a teenager!) but I have gone down a jeans size - and getting to eat whatever I want on 70mpw is fun! It's a great stress-reliever and has done wonders for my riding - I was fit before (4 horses/day), but the running has made my core really strong.

C25k is an awesome program - I've got a bunch of friends who have done it and loved it!

Hey Lone, I printed out your links, thanks!

I used to be a runner and have been trying to get back into it, without a lot of luck. I am not a natural runner, so it takes me a long time to get to a place where I can string together a few miles regularly. The knowledge of what it takes also overwhelms me, I have to admit. I ran a marathon about 10 years ago, and regularly ran half-marathons and races of other distances during that period of my life (I was always a back-of-the-packer though, never very fast). I was in pretty good shape in those days and miss that feeling! But I am more like a draftx that a TB in the sense that it takes me a long time to get to that fit state, it takes a lot to maintain it and it takes pretty much no time at all to lose it. Just finding the time alone is tough, between the increasing demands of my job and riding my horse (although, I have fewer excuses with my horse in Aiken for the Winter). I still have hope though! I'd be happy to be able to run 3-5 miles a few times a week right now. I don't really have the desire to do another marathon, at least right now anyway.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I'm a runner... lazy right now as I hate treadmills and it's winter in Canada, but in the summer I usually do around 24km per week. I also go to the gym about 2-3x per week and do a power focused workout to balance out the endurance of running.
    Advice... pack your ipod with motivating songs and give'r! Also mix it up and do intervals (sprinting and walking, then just a paced run) to increase fat burning.
    Good luck!

I've been running 5 miles three times a week for well, decades. I have no interest in running any further than that, that just seems to be a nice distance. I just enjoy it, and hope it's good for me- it seems to, I am often surprised when people I'm with get out of breath or tired from what seems to me to be a trivial amount of movement. I can't do treadmills or tracks though boring, boring, must run outdoors, luckily I have high-energy dogs who have to be exercised anyway so off we go regardless of weather. Wading through deep snow is a lot more exhausting than running though!

I was kind of in the same situation as the OP-- I was a casual runner for years but never saw any improvement in my speed or stamina. I always ran the same distance at the same pace and couldn't get over the hump.

What got me out of my rut was committing myself to a half marathon training program with a variety of speed work, tempo runs, long runs, and cross training. It has forced me to step outside my comfort zone. I keep track of my training times. I even bought a heart rate monitor.

I think it's also important to find a balance between pushing yourself to improve and being unrealistic. Find a routine you know you can stick to. I googled tons of half marathon training programs before I found one that worked for my lifestyle.

Good luck!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I recently got back into running after taking some time off during our move.

Just this week I have increased my runs from 2.5 to 3.5 miles. I plan to work out to 5 miles over the next few weeks. I try to get out 5 days a week. Now that I can run without stopping, I am looking for ways to get faster. Right now I can do 300 meters in 1:20 and 2 miles in 21:00. I'm hoping to shave 10-15 seconds off my 300 meter and get to 2 miles in 18 minutes.

I agree with those who say that running feels great. I have not lost much weight since I started. In fact, I feel puffy and bloated after my runs, but I still feel great! Running is empowering and helps me relax.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett