The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Talking What are you currently reading?

I'm reading Chocolate War by Robert Cormier for my Teaching Lit class. I'm not sure I like it yet but I'm only about 20 pages in. I know I read it a long time ago but I don't remember much about it.

I just finished Zelda's Cut by Philippa Gregory. Weird, weird, weird. Still not sure if I enjoyed it

Next on the list is Sleepy Hollow because I realized I've never read it.

So how about the rest of you?
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Just finished The Time Traveler's Wife. Didn't do much for me.

Just started Eat. Love. Pray. Hope its better.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson

Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls

If I Were to Train a Horse by Jack Brainard

Dressage Masters by David Collins

Happy with all so far...Jack Brainard's is like a 50th time re-read.

I just finished "Infected" by Scott Sigler. What a good book. Sci-fi/Horror. I won't be surprised if they make a movie from it.

I started "Just Kids" by Patti Smith. Interesting.

Also "Worst Case" by James Patterson. It's about a serial killer. Really good so far.

Zeitoun by Dave Eggers.

I just started it last night and had a hard time putting it down. It is as good as all the reviews say. (It is the true story of a Syrian-American family in New Orleans during Katrina).

Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan. That man was so brilliant - so sad he's no longer with us. And oddly enough, just the other day I heard this story on NPR about how he and Anne Druyan (his wife) met and fell in love. Such an amazing story.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123534818
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Chainfire by Terry Goodkind. I read the first several of the series years ago and just now picked it back up... had a little bit of a hard time getting into it, but now I'm hooked... the weather is nice here but too muddy to ride. So I may go sit in the sun and read a bit later..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

4th of July by James Patterson

How to Think Like a Horse - forgot the author, but good book.

Just finished three Dick Francis books, one by Tami Hoag, and am trying to get into "Out Stealing Horses." Anyone read that one?

I halfway through The Timetraveler's Wife, so far I'm enjoying it
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I too did not enjoy the Time Traveler's Wife. Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

Currently reading The Lacuna by B. Kingsolver. Enjoying it, but it's not blowing my skirt up so far. Not even close to The Poisonwood Bible, one of my all-time favs. Not even as good as Prodigal Summer. But still a good read.

On deck I've got Ambrose's Undaunted Courage and the new Jeff Shaara WWII book.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

finished out stealing horses a few weeks ago. i can't say that i loved it but i finished it,
    also just finished the reliable wife. it was entertaining but i do not see what all the fuss is about.
    reading the girl with the dragon tatoo but not that far into it to have an opinion. in waiting is the elegance of the hedgehog (still), dancing on the precipice, cutting for stone and the zookeepers wife.
    i also just finished when things changed by gail collins. every woman should read the book especially if you are under 40. i bought both my daughters copies to remind them that they are eating from a table set by others. wonderful chronicle of the women's movement whether you count yourself a feminist or not.

I just started "the Last Song" by Nicholas Sparks. I am a little put off that he wrote it with Miley Cyrus in mind, yuck! but I love all his other books, especially "Three Weeks with my Brother"

"Beyond the Homestretch, What I've Learned Saving Racehorses" by Lynn Reardon. Fabulous fun read and the author has a great sense of humor. We can all relate to the horses chronicled in the book.

The author also founded LOPE in Texas.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

I'm currently reading a HYSTERICAL book by Matt Labash called "Fly Fishing with Darth Vader." I don't normally enjoy nonfiction but this book is fantastic -- laugh out loud fantastic. It's about a journalist's funny encounters with a variety of people and things, including Dick Cheney, Facebook, and sleazeball politicos.

I just started "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. Totally love it so far!

I'm reading "True Believer" by Nicholas Sparks. So far it's good, but not one of my favorites. Maybe I've just read so many of his books that the story lines have become predictable
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

"Year of the Flood" by Margaret Atwood.

Just finished "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold,loved it.It was beautifully written.
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Reading Carl Hiassen's "Basket Case," as my current fiction book. Love his style--dark, mean-spirited purely Floridian humor!

The non-fiction I'm also currently reading is Stephen Kizner's "All the Shah's Men," which is about the 1953 CIA-run coup which overthrew the democratically elected Prime Minister, Mohammad Mossadeq, of Iran--reinstalling the Shah into power. Excellent book!

I read A LOT (no TV). Currently reading "A Good, Good Pig" by Sy Montgomery. Very sweet. It was an emergency book when I was stranded at a friend's house because of snow. This week alone I have finished "Loving Frank" (very good, and even though I knew how the story ended I was totally freaked! I am an FLW geek) and "Snow Falling on Cedars" (also very good, but not the fastest book to get into. Once I was into it, though, I was hooked). I have also recently read "The Reader" (wow.) and "The Book Thief" (double wow.). Have also recently read some of my two favorites, Augusten Burroughs and David Sedaris (I LOVE both). Love, love, love to read.

However, I have "Eat, Pray, Love" in my pile and I am loathed to pick it up. My sister (who I share very, very similar tastes in reading with) HATED it, and the way she describes it, I am fairly certain I'll hate it, too. I know lots of people RAVE about it, but I'm just can't get into the right place for it! I have heard the author interviewed a few times, and have loved listening to her....just not so sure I'll love reading her.