The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Did you change your ottb's name?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • kept it the same

40 50.00%
  • changed it

34 42.50%
  • other

6 7.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you change an ottb's jc name?

I am curious to see how many of you changed your ottb's registered name when you started showing them.

Zen's Secret ReaZen? You'd keep that?

He was nicknamed Ted when I got him (not by me) and it stuck, so I showed him under "Theodor." He is also called Mr Ted, Tedley, the Tedmeister, Pumpkin Butt, Chuckles, Tedley le Peu, Sweet Pea, and Mr Potato Head (I did show him at a schooling show under that name).
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

You can call them whatever you want, but the registered name is the official link to their bloodlines, history, and honors their breeder.

With a name like "Lord Tweet"? Yeah, that was changed the second I bought him!! He was nicknamed Bart before I got him, and he seemed to know his name, so that stayed the same. He always wore his heart on his sleeve, so his show name was "True Colors"- not very original, but it did fit him. His various aliases around the barn were Bartholomew, Bartthefart, and Turkey Butt.

Geek- pretty funny that Ted is Pumpkin Butt- he and Bart would have been almost a matched pair for Thanksgiving!

Yes,but I wish I didnt. I didnt know their race names until well after I registered them.

Their racenames werent so bad compared to most!

Rainbow Bay and Stable Unrest.....Ive heard much worse.

Mine was changed by his previous owner. I kept that one. His J.C. name was Sir Bigun. Yuck. Although not the worst I've come across....Flathead, anyone?! Yes, someone I know got a horse of the track named Flathead. Sad....
    I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert!
    If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning!

It makes sense - Ted's a Zen grandson, and his paternal grandsire is Secretariat. I think he was called Secret.

Knowing him the way I do now, I would have called him Oberon - sounds dark and brooding and masterful, yes? But Oberon was King of the Faeries.
    www.specialhorses.org

Well, mine actually has a pretty cool name. Especially because as a Bostonian, I love my Red Sox... My boy's registered name is Big Poppy, and I kinda' like it. I just wasn't sure of what the *cool* thing to do was in the ottb world.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    You can call them whatever you want, but the registered name is the official link to their bloodlines, history, and honors their breeder.
    THIS.

Even if I hate the JC name, I will always use it for show entries and registration (USEA, etc). I would hope that if someone bought one of my homebreds they would do me the same favor.
    -Jessica

First horse, I changed it for shows (not that we did a lot) to make it more reflective of his bloodlines (his name was Bold McKinnon, after his breeder; he showed as Admiral's Game or Crafty Game.)

New horse, I'd keep it (Lucky To Cope, which is both a 'clever' name and a pedigree name for a son of Lucky Lionel and Copenqueen, who is from the Hooper Farm's line of horses, inbred to Olympia, with Copelan, Greek Game and Susan's Girl appearing as well. I found this site http://www.tbheritage.com/TurfHallma...ooperFarm.html and saw Copelan's name. I hadn't realized before that Greek Game and his family were anyone of note--Bold McKinnon's dam, Justa Game, was by a son of Greek Game.)

Changed it. He was never at the track but his breeder chose his name which is actually not too bad. It just doesn't suit his personality.

So - I show him under a different name that is much more appropriate to his quirky awesomeness....
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

Give it up. Many of us CoTHers are trapped at a computer all day with no way out, and we hunt in packs. So far it as all been in good fun. You should be thankful for that.

Barely Escaped will keep her name for anything official like showing. Barn name of Be is just her initials, and any other nics are just that. Similarly my standardbred is Rhythm Almahurst and appears as that in shows and publications, but she's Marie around the barn. I think it would be a rare case I didn't keep the TB's registered name in anything more distinctive they do off the track. But I can think of a handful.

Ah, but Jessica, if I got one of yours then I would know the breeder, and it would be different!
    www.specialhorses.org

We do not have many OTTBs at my current barn- but my old barn had a ton of them.

All but two had their JC names switched. One kept his JC name (bred by trainers family), one used part of his JC name.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

We prefer to keep the JC names, but once in a while we don't know the name, or, we don't find out the true name until the horse is already competing, or it is hard to pronounce. The hard to pronounce names get changed for the benefit of the announcers and the listening public.

One came as a rehab horse and we were told that her name was Mary. We changed the spelling to Merry and found out too late that her JC name is Proud Mary Turnen. Would have kept that one....

Thinking back on the list of horses that have passed thru our family, we have had some pretty good names.

Black Ninja, Wildcat Fever, Phone Prank, Good Times are a few that come to mind.

DH just reminded me of his favorite name to date.

Itsbeerthirty

Perfect eventer name!

I kept one. I sure as hell changed the other.

The one I kept actually has a race record, and I have photos of him in the winners circle at Finger Lakes even though the JC database insists that the only horse with that name is from the 1940s. I got that one right off the track, racing shoes and all! His name is made up of normal words, and put together they actually make a real phrase that isn't cliche, and in the context of a horse show it's pretty funny actually. I tried very hard to come up with another name. I had a few I really liked, but in the end I think the one he came with was the best. Also, his barn name was "stall 48" so I at least got to pick his barn name (and it goes with his show name nicely).

The other one never saw a race, I'm told. He flunked out of training when his 14+ ft canter stride refused to build past a nice hunter jaunt, and I never saw papers, though he IS serchable in the JC database based on the name I was told. I got him from a trainer who had him in-barn for a client for whom the horse was "too much", from the agent acting for the seller. I actually think the show name I gave him is MUCH more in honor of his lineage, as they are almost all French names or theater names. His barn name also fits with his show name, but you would never know it if you weren't a major "victorian steel baron" buff or the like without me explaining it.

Changed one, kept one. The one I changed, I contacted his breeders and told them of the change so they could keep track of him if they wanted. It's wasn't an awful name, just way too long for my taste.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

We've had a couple hundred horses off the track over the last 40-some years and have changed an enormous majority of their names. New names frequently are based on registered names (Bad Boy Eric became 'Andsome Eric). Some are shortened (JaDaOuiSi became Yada). Some are changed out of mercy (Sigley Saint became Cobber).
    Some breeders just don't put a lot into naming a horse (once had a filly named Bar Axe). That's fine for satisfying Jockey Club requirements and getting a horse to the track, but once that horse is to be loved and appreciated, it needs a more personalized name.
    My most recent project is a wonderful little guy by Real Quiet. His registered name is Clammed Up. C'mon - would you hunt a horse named Clam anything?
    I call him Sanjuro.

Jill's Best Jest?? I'm not keeping that one- I like brass nameplates too much . I have no idea what she was called around the barn, so I named her. She's my first OT and I LOVE her!!