The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default gross!- update: infected stitches?

My 2 yr old filly had a nasty cut on her stifle area which was stitched and is now healing nicely... except for one small area of it which is draining - a very thick puss like crud. I've been applying warm wet washcloths daily to encourage it to drain. The problem is now (and I have called my vet, but haven't heard back yet) that it is running down her leg and seems to be scalding the hair and skin. The stuff will not come off with warm water. Is there any kind of ointment that will dissolve it and protect her skin? I have panalog also which I can use. I'm going to remove the stitches tomorrow.
    Last edited by springer; Feb. 14, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

I'm not sure about dissolving it. But in the future keep some sort of non-water soluble ointment on it. Vaseline and Bag Balm both work, but I'm sure there are others.

Sounds like she needs more antibiotics. Smear Vaseline over the parts that are getting scalded. It will keep it off her skin until you can wash it off.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Vaseline is good-- or Bag Balm or even good old A&D diaper rash ointment-- not the cream. Anything greasy that will keep the crud from sticking to the hair will work.

You can put any of this stuff on the scalded skin to help get the pus loose. It should eventually come loose if you keep soaking it with warm water-- just don't rub or pull at the crud, you will pull the hair off with it. Just heep soaking and rubbing gently in the same direction that the hair grows-- may take several applications of warm water-- warm-- not hot.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

what about emu oil? Of course I can find neither vaseline OR bag balm at home right now (we're 30 miles from town) However I do have Burt Bee's hand salve- main ingredient is almond oil. What do you guys think?

It might help a little, it depends on how greasy it is. In this case, the greasier the better. Do you have any desitin?

If you don't have Desitin, there's also Crisco/ shortening. In a pinch, maybe even using an old lipstick - if he won't think it tastes good!

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    It might help a little, it depends on how greasy it is. In this case, the greasier the better. Do you have any desitin?
    Yes! I actually do happen to have that! (the cream)

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    Yes! I actually do happen to have that! (the cream)
    Not the cream. You're better off with Crisco.