The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Mini attacked by dog. HELP!!!

My mini was just attacked by the neighboors dog, mom is a vet but she won't be home for a few hours. I've already cleaned the wound with hot water and anitbacterial soap, and applied wound dressing. Most of his wounds are superficial but he has one under his throttle that will need stiches. Untill then what can I use to put under the vetwrap? I've searched the house for gauze and can't find any! What do I do?

Uh...call your mom the vet? She's the best person to talk to...

His Throttle? What is a throttle?

I have called her, she isn't answering her phone, I did leave several messages however.

I meant throatlatch, sorry, typing in a hurry and not reading before I post.

Put a maxipad under the vetwrap for a temporary fix. If you don't have that, use a clean, dry washcloth. If there are any babies in the household, you could also use a diaper. Fold it as small as possible-don't cut it though, most disposable diapers nowadays have that gel moisture locking-in material in them.

Try and get a hold of Mom quickly-which I realize you are already doing, and also call animal control AND the police. If a dog will attack a mini, in my opinion, other animals and people are at risk!

Hope things turn out OK, good luck, and please let us know how he is later!!!

Is there another vet your mom works with, or one she refers people to? Does she have a pager, or is she with someone else who may have a phone or pager?

I'd take a LOT of photos of the wounds, and I'd call the police right now. What if that dog comes back or attacks another animal? This is a legal/safety issue.

Is he losing blood (like gushing cups) from his throat? If so you need to call ANY vet to he'll stop the bleeding.
    And call the cops while you are still in histerics so they'll send someone out pronto to get the dog.
    Your mom has to have contact with other vets you may know
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

If it's bleeding then a pressure pad underneath. Anything rolled tight under will help.

When your mother gets home, ensure you also get a first aid lesson for if there's a next time.

Ensure you report the owners of the out of control dog that attacked it to the police too.

It's not gushing, more like dripping. I used spurgirls suggestion and used a maxipad with vetwrap. He was laying on the snow, I'm not sure how long he was down. But I got him up and into his stall, I stripped it and lined it with clean straw. He's not very interested in hay, but has taken a few sips of lukewarm water. I covered him in a clean dog blanket(cheap queen sized bed blanket) that I had thrown in the dryer so it was warm.

Anything else I should do?

I'm going to let my mom handle the neighboors and their dog when she gets home. I finally got ahold of her, she'll be back in 2hours.

Thanks for all your help! It's kept me from panicing

If you found him laying in the snow, he may be very shocky ... so your putting a warmed up blanket on him was good thinking. Keep that up. Make sure he is very toasty. If he is shocky that is the best thing short of an IV I beleive.

Ears indicate how cold he might be ... make sure you cover everything that may be losing heat and stay with him a bit to make sure he doesn't get tangled up in his new wardrobe and possibly suffocate

ETA: warm fluids is good also ... maybe ad some molasses to it or something he may like to help get WARM fluids in.

No suggestions but really really hoping all ends well.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Call the police - so they know when this occurred and file a report ~ the police need to see this now ! They need to get that dog ! Please do not wait - watch the mini of course but call the police.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Jingle for you and your mini ~ Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ AO ~ AO ~ Always Optimistic ! Thoughts and prayers - please call the police ~ I know this needs to be done because we have been dealing with a neighbor's dogs and you need proof and a paper trail.. good luck.

Evidently the OP has talked to her mother by now and the mother indicated she would take care of the police and neighbor.

The OP is a kid and needs to do what the mother said, not what people on the internet suggest.
    She did very well already, handling her end with grace and taking care of the pony best she could.

I hope the pony will be ok.

WOW ~ I apologize for my HO??? but am currently dealing with this type of situation and thought maybe a call to the police ? would be the right and timely thing to do ~ again I apologize for my two posts. I, too hope the mini will be able to fully recover.
    Last edited by Zu Zu; Feb. 13, 2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: punctuation addition

UPDATE: Toulouse is fine, mom put some staples in the wound and all will be well.

Mom talked to the neighboors. It is not the first time this dog has injured people/animals, he has always been agressive and injured their mini before. They felt horrible that their dog had bitten my mini(he has taught them to drive). Mom and neighboors decided to put the dog down because it was best for everyone(neighboors, their kids, their horses & other dogs).

Thanks for all the help & jingles!!

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Strong fences and accurate long guns make for good neighbors.

Hope your horse recovers fully.

Glad your mini is going to be ok. That's sad about the dog but was the best thing under the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    WOW ~ I apologize for my HO??? but am currently dealing with this type of situation and thought maybe a call to the police ? would be the right and timely thing to do ~ again I apologize for my two posts. I, too hope the mini will be able to fully recover.
    No need to apologize for anything.
    Your post are always very timely, with excellent advice and kindly stated.
    I wish I could write like that.

My comments about waiting is because the OP had just said that she was following her mother's orders, once she got them.

I hope your own animals can stay safe from your neighbor's dogs and that your situation resolves quickly.

Glad the little guy is going to be ok. I'm astonished that the dog's owner is willing to euthanize the dog. I'm glad they're doing it - but I'm surprised.

Hope the mini is 100% soon!

Quote Originally Posted by eventerchick517 View Post
    UPDATE: Toulouse is fine, mom put some staples in the wound and all will be well.
    !!