The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Quencher

I posted last fall about a horse that wasn't drinking enough water.

Someone mentioned Horse Quencher.
    In the interim, she gets beet pulp and a soupy alfalfa cubes to get extra water into her, but it is not enough. I added salt to her grain, put in one of those 3 in 1 mineral blocks that they seem to chow down. Did not help at all.

She drinks outside during the day, but not in her stall. I have changed water buckets, they are heated ones, warm water, etc, etc. I have done just about everything.
    Her poops are getting smaller, and well, I was getting scared.

So, I ordered some horse quencher and wow! She drank her bucket dry!!!!

So, is it a problem to give it to her every night?

I am just so thrilled that she is drinking again. I only started it last night, but I was really impressed with how well it worked.

I know endurance riders use it on the trail, but not sure how many use it ongoing. Anyone know any issues that could be associated with daily use?
    thanks.

I too have used Horse Quencher to get a couple of mine to drink addtl water.
    I don't know that it would hurt to use it every nite, except that she may become
    desensitized, is that the right word, to it. I would definitely make it a separate bucket, "something special" that she only gets to drink from you. IMHO.
    I cannot foresee any other problems with "daily" use.... and yes, the endurance people like it! Good luck.
    J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

oh yeah, sometimes plain ole blackstrap molasses or a cut up apple in their water bucket will get them to drink too.... just another trick for your water-drinking bag...
    J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode