The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For the CotH Ladies - Men Riding on the Beach

Regimental training for British Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment. If you know where to go, there are plenty of eligible men who ride English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg_Y-OXGzL0
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

that was fun to watch. Wondering how cold the water is...

HaHa - this is where I ride!!

The water is pretty darn cold, but on days like that when the sun is actually shining it is fine. it's an amazing beach cos the water stays shallow for so far and there are rarely big waves, it's great for getting your horse's confidence.

You do not want to be on a horse at the same beach as the cavalry guys. It looked quite controlled in the video clip, but it isn't! As you can kind of see the horses are around all the normal holiday makers - and some of these guys aren't great at riding. They are taught to ride in three months - and much of the day to day riding they do is at a walk on the streets of London, few of them have any experience of riding horses at a fast pace like that, never mind bareback (the video I think was shot especially as normally they are bareback). Galloping loose horses and barefooted unhorsey holiday makers (ohh and did I mention the nudist section?....) is how it normally ends up.

They are only here for a week or so in the summer - the rest of the time the beach is relatively quiet!

I want the horse with the big blaze and four stockings. He is beautiful!!

Doodlebug, I am jealous! It looks lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    Doodlebug, I am jealous! It looks lovely!
    But I'm jealous of you living in Kentucky! I've been over to see Rolex 3DE and am coming over for WEG - I love Kentucky!

Any time any of you are in England and want to gallop on that beach (sadly without the men!) let me know - you're very welcome!

Holy smokes, twenty or thirty fit, athletic horsemen with British accents riding on the beach? I think I must have died and found myself in Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug1 View Post
    But I'm jealous of you living in Kentucky! I've been over to see Rolex 3DE and am coming over for WEG - I love Kentucky!

Any time any of you are in England and want to gallop on that beach (sadly without the men!) let me know - you're very welcome!
    May I come too?? The problem with Ketucky is although it is beautiful, there really aren't a lot of places to just go and ride. Certainly no beaches!! On the other hand, I got to ride on the beach in California for the first time last year. I got a sense of vertigo whenever I got close to the ocean.

These guys need to start working out....lol I was hoping to see some six packs or nice pecs... what a let down..

Unless my eyes deceive me... I swear one of them had the lower back tattoo a.k.a. tramp stamp. That is something that should never be seen on a guy.

Methinks I'm making a trip to England and the Holkham beach ASAP.
    Worry, doubt, fear and despair are the enemies which slowly bring us down to the ground and turn us to dust before we die.

~ Douglas MacArthur

If it's to see the boys (tramp stamp and all ) then you need to time it well, they're only in Norfolk one or two weeks a year and at Holkham itself only one or two days!!

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    May I come too??
    Of course

The problem with Ketucky is although it is beautiful, there really aren't a lot of places to just go and ride. Certainly no beaches!!
    Really? I've only been to the horse park and driven around some of the area, disappointing that what looks amazing doesn't really have much riding space - but what an incredible area, I really liked it a lot. C'mon WEG!!!

On the other hand, I got to ride on the beach in California for the first time last year. I got a sense of vertigo whenever I got close to the ocean.
    HaHa - sometimes young horses get that too, when they feel the pull of the tide they start swaying - it's hilarious, luckily most of them get the idea pretty quickly.

I just sent the link and an email to a friend in the UK, I told her to find out where I could find me one of those horses and to toss in a boy too! Even tho they may not ride well they still have the accent and well... I'm a sucker for an english accent!!!!

Doodlebug, if I make it over next year like I am hoping to, I will totally take you up on that! Kentucky is lovely, but alas, no beaches.

Well heck, you can come to Toronto and see our Mounted boys ride their horses in Lake Ontario practically year round! lol
    "Don't make be BEG dahling...
    you KNOW I won't do it!" Edna Mode

Y'all do understand that these are real working soldiers, either just been to, or just about to return to, the deserts of the Middle and Far East, right?! They're the real McCoy, not simply eye-candy.

(when they're not bombing around on the beaches of Britain, that is)