The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling saddle at WEF?

A friend is going to WEF and I'm thinking about shipping my saddle to her to sell for me - but I've heard that horses stay off the show grounds. So thought I'd ask to see if it's hard for people to try the saddle at or off the show grounds.

[edit]

Any recommendations? Thanks!
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Feb. 13, 2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: removed specifics of item for sale per advertising policy

I sold my saddle through Beval a few years ago while I was down there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Though several hundred may stay off the property, there can be well over 1000 on the grounds...and those off the property have to come to school and show. So you do get a big audience, may be off from previous years but still huge.

I'd recommend consigning at one of the vendors. They get the foot traffic and can handle letting it go out on trial (with CC payment on file). For the percentage they will take for handling it, you don't have to fool with tire kickers and worry it gets tried and never makes it back. Plus they can handle most forms of payment with approval on the spot and you don't end up with no saddle and a bad check.

I consigned my Butet thru Quail Hollow (they may be in Ocala though). I pocketed more then I could have sold it for even with the percentage commission off the top.
    Last edited by findeight; Feb. 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

In years past I've consigned saddles through Quail Hollow as well with great results. At other shows I can't say it would necessarily be a great deal with the commission they take out but everything seems to be just a bit more expensive at WEF. They may be in Ocala as findeight said...this was several years ago and I'm not there this year.

I had Quail Hollow appraise a saddle for me at the KY National (or maybe it was KY Summer..can't remember) one year and they said they could mark it as $2500. At WEF that same exact saddle was worth $3500 according to the same person that appraised it 3 months earlier. Go figure.

Supply and demand. you'd both get more money and if you are selling-another 750 or so in your pocket is not a bad thing.

BTW, prices go down at the end of the circuit plus they will always mark on the high side and give you a call if they get an offer...or you set what you want to get and they will negotiate to that point but no lower without approval.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thanks! Quail Hollow (TX) says they don't go to Fla and I called the Beval rep who's down there and she said she doesn't have any experience selling those and suggested I send it to their NJ store.

Any other suggetions would be much appreciated!

Ann K. Hubbards is down there.... Ask for Katherine aka Nips
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**