The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Pine Top snow delay

Wow - they are delaying Pine Top start by two hours tomorrow am and I know folks in Aiken aren't sure that the roads will allow heading over even if event is on. Weather craziness!
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

It really is kinda crazy! This is Georgia's SECOND snow this year!!! Normally we get snow like....every 6 years!

Here's some pics I took today. It really came down pretty hard for awhile. Seems like it's stopped though. And now the temps are plummeting, but it should warm up by noon tomorrow AND.. it's not rain so no ice Bonus! Not yet anyways....

I know it's nothing compared to others, but... still pretty impressive for Georgia

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...8&id=730570966

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...5&id=730570966

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=730570966

can anyone update how the roads are? I'm leaving NC around 4 am to drive down to Pine Top and was wondering if I will make it or not!

We just tried to get out of our driveway and couldn't with the car. Of course...on normal days it's a stretch to get out of our driveway. A friend is picking us up for dinner, so I can at least tell you how the side roads are!
    Good luck driving and competing!

I was supposed to leave for Aiken on Monday. Snow storm changed that plan. Road was finally good enough to get out with the trailer yesterday. I was going to leave last night but something came up and I wasn't able to. I'm actually glad that happened. If I had left all this snow only for more snow I would have freaked!

All this snow,ice and cold weather? It's global warming.

Climate change is more fashionable now.

Yes, sorry. Hey, we're headng your way in a couple of weeks. Warm it up for us will ya?

Well, I'm in Aiken. We have 6" on the ground and the power went out about 2 hours ago. Emstah and a couple of pals went out to drive around to check things out and should have been back 15 minutes ago.

We're planning to go to Pine Top tomorrow but this is a little bit disconcerting. No flashlights nor candles nor shovels in this fancy rental. No phone either. Gosh, at least at home in Maine I'd have the right essentials for this kind of night!

Another of our crowd drove up to Charlotte, NC tonight. She's not home yet either. I'm starting the hand wringing for my 4 wandering children. I'm all alone in the dark with 15 horses, 5 dogs and 2 cats, staring out into the night searching for headlights on the driveway!!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I'm 30min from Pine Top, i came home from walmart around 8. We passed 23 cars in accidents, slid in ditches, or stuck off the shoulder in the 20min home... The radio said there were 36 reported accidents in the Augusta area when i pulled in my driveway. For those used to driving in snow, its not bad. Its the other freaken idiots that have no clue!

I'm not sure i would be traveling at 4am due to the slush on the roads turning to ice now, i slipped up the steps bringing in groceries.

I've got a dressage show south of Aiken tomorrow, but i dont ride till noon, you better believe i'm going to leave at the last possible minute to hope its melted off the roads!

Bet its going to be a bit marshy tomorrow once all this melts off! I think we are at 4+ inches here, its tapered off but still snowing.

I hope the power comes back on soon!!! This is not fun Its starting to turn to ice and that will not change my 10am. Northerners beware-- we folks cannot drive in any snow or ice even if you can!

RBP. . my power is back on. Hope yours comes back soon too! Someone has to call in the power outage from a land line connected to that account or they might not know to fix it. Do you know which power company you are using?

Seriously, I feel for you all , but in Chicago, we would hardly notice 6". (I know, spent a winter in Aiken/Southern Pines, you are not equipped.) I hope Pine Top gets it all worked out. Sucks to lose a prep.

Geez guys, I've been hacking around on the bare ground on a warm, sunny day here in Vermont! Got a little sweaty in just a polarfleece jacket. Not gloating, though....

Seriously, Pol, those kids shoulda stayed home. THEY may know how to drive in that stuff, but no one else around there does. Hope they are all OK.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Nothing to do with Pine Top... but we have SNOW.. like real sticking accumulating snow here in CHARLESTON, SC! It's crazy... the corgi went down the stairs and immediately stopped at the bottom like WTF is this?

Feel for you, could of used some white stuff in the frozen North called Canada today for the opening ceremonies for the Olympics!

I don't know Fleck that looks like pretty serious snow to me. And in Ga no less, way too freakin' close to FL! Fleck looks like a popsicle pony, poor baby wants to be back down here.

Actually down here yesterday the rain was awful and everyone rode in it at the horse park show. Had some pretty awesome scores too come out.

Cody

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    It really is kinda crazy! This is Georgia's SECOND snow this year!!! Normally we get snow like....every 6 years!

Here's some pics I took today. It really came down pretty hard for awhile. Seems like it's stopped though. And now the temps are plummeting, but it should warm up by noon tomorrow AND.. it's not rain so no ice Bonus! Not yet anyways....

I know it's nothing compared to others, but... still pretty impressive for Georgia

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...8&id=730570966

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...5&id=730570966

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2&id=730570966

If Pine Top got near the amount of snow that I received in North Augusta (30 miles west of Pine Top), I can't imagine a horse trial today. Seriously, I have 5" of snow covering everything in my neighborhood. And yes, the snow was quite wet, so right now the roads are covered in a nice crunchy ice.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

ya i've been watching the news/writing papers all night... looks pretty miserable. I decided not to leave quite yet. Hopefully with the delayed start times and pending schedule, if PT still runs, i can leave when the sun is out!

I am hoping they postpone for a less snowy day... I would love to run my horses, but can't imagine jumping today...

They all came home safely. Power came on and went out again, back on this morning. Our 3 Maine horses kept their winter shoes on when we came down here so they are the only ones out today.
    Waiting on a Pine Top decision, they are discussing a 1 day format for tomorrow. Nothing definite yet.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.