The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Question on Tow Vehicles

What is the difference between a 1500 series truck with a large engine and a 2500 series with a smaller engine? I have a 1500 Chevy with a 5.7 engine; can I tow as much with that as I could with a 2500 series truck? Thanks!

Go here to find your answers:

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?id=42175

G.

Thanks for the link! It says though that I can tow more weight with a 1500 with a 5.3 l engine than I can with a 2500 with a 5.7l engine. Is that correct?

It depends on the year, cab, bed length, rear differential and options. Your best bet is to download the right chart and look up your exact truck.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    Thanks for the link! It says though that I can tow more weight with a 1500 with a 5.3 l engine than I can with a 2500 with a 5.7l engine. Is that correct?
    Probably.

Despite what the 'internet experts' will tell you, engine power (not brakes, wheelbase or curb weight) is usually the largest factor in tow ratings. Lets say we have a 300hp V8 rated to be able to properly motive a GCWR of 15,000 lbs. Stick that engine in a 5000 lbs pickup you have 10,000 lbs left over for a trailer, stick that same engine in a 10,000 lbs pickup and you only have 5000 lbs left over for a trailer.

So in your example; if the two pickups are of the same basic type (cab size, bed size, engine, etc.) one is a 1/2 ton the other a 3/4 ton........usually the 1/2 will be rated to tow more because the pickup itself weighs less.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Is the only difference between a 1500 and 2500 the weight of the truck (assuming identical options?)

Those charts actually don't go back far enough for my exact truck. It doesn't look like they put the big engine in the 1500s anymore.

I believe I was told when I first got my truck that it was rated for 10k lbs of towing. That has always seemed like a lot of weight to pull in a smaller truck though, and I have never come close to it. I was looking at a 3 horse slant trailer someone was selling the other day though and wondering if I could safely use my truck to tow it? The weight of that trailer was around 4k lbs.

Is the only difference between a 1500 and 2500 the weight of the truck (assuming identical options?)

Those charts actually don't go back far enough for my exact truck. It doesn't look like they put the big engine in the 1500s anymore.

I believe I was told when I first got my truck that it was rated for 10k lbs of towing. That has always seemed like a lot of weight to pull in a smaller truck though, and I have never come close to it. I was looking at a 3 horse slant trailer someone was selling the other day though and wondering if I could safely use my truck to tow it? The weight of that trailer was around 4k lbs.
    No. Although the majority of the differences are geared towards service life....in simplest terms; time/distance to breakdown. Not really related to 'towing safely'.

If your truck is older than 1999 and a 1500, it is not rated for 10K. What are the full specs on the truck are we dealing with?
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.

It is a 1995 K1500 Z71 with a 5.7 L engine, Extended cab, short bed. It has the heavy duty towing package on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post
    No. Although the majority of the differences are geared towards service life....in simplest terms; time/distance to breakdown. Not really related to 'towing safely'.

If your truck is older than 1999 and a 1500, it is not rated for 10K. What are the full specs on the truck are we dealing with?
    currently the frames on 1500's are entirely different than the frames on 2500's. think of the 1500 frame as an SUV frame. think of the 2500 frame as a truck frame--that is, rails. engines are engines and frames are frames. Neither are the same.

It is a 1995 K1500 Z71 with a 5.7 L engine, Extended cab, short bed. It has the heavy duty towing package on it as well.
    According to this site, you're rated for 7000#. That sounds about right to me. So if the 3H was fully loaded I suspect you may be over that limit.

Good luck.
    Disclaimer;

Quote Originally Posted by feather river View Post
    currently the frames on 1500's are entirely different than the frames on 2500's. think of the 1500 frame as an SUV frame. think of the 2500 frame as a truck frame--that is, rails. engines are engines and frames are frames. Neither are the same.
    I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about. Yes the frames are different, and they have corresponding higher capacities.

A 1500 is considered a 1/2 ton or class 1, it can have a pickup body or a SUV body set on it.......the same as a 2500 (3/4 ton or class 2) can have a pickup or SUV body.

Not to mention in the grand scheme of things, the frame is just about the last consideration in safety. Unless just grossly overloaded/abused, how many frames have you seen broken?

Disclaimer;

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

There's not THAT much difference in the size or weight of those two engines. The 5.7 is still a small block Chevy. I had one of those 1500s. If it has the 4L80E transmission and not over 140,000 miles or so, it's still more truck than the average 1/2 ton but I wouldn't want to do a whole lot of towing with it.

I'd go for the 2500 though. Even though the engine is a few inches smaller, it's a more efficient motor and probably no less power.

If your tow rating is 7000 lbs., I would not pull a 3 horse unless I never intended to use the capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    There's not THAT much difference in the size or weight of those two engines. The 5.7 is still a small block Chevy. I had one of those 1500s. If it has the 4L80E transmission and not over 140,000 miles or so, it's still more truck than the average 1/2 ton but I wouldn't want to do a whole lot of towing with it.

I'd go for the 2500 though. Even though the engine is a few inches smaller, it's a more efficient motor and probably no less power.
    So what makes the 2500 a better tow vehicle? I am really not understanding the difference. I'd like to know this just for my own education.

I have towed the exact same trailer (bumper pull) loaded with two big horses with a half ton truck and then a 3/4 ton truck. And yes, the size of the truck itself DOES make a difference in rig stability. There is more to towing than just engine capacity. Why is the 3/4 ton a better tow vehicle? Because it's heavier and longer and yes, I can verify that you will feel the difference (with a loaded bumper pull). One of the horses was a Belgian whose method of balancing was to lean against the side of the trailer. Pulling that with the 1/2 ton scared me to death, the whole rig would sway as he suddenly leaned to the side and it was on the edge of what the truck could counterbalance. Not long after, I pulled the same load with my 3/4. That horse may as well have danced a tango back there, there was no more sway and the extra weight of the truck/rear end/length, while it may not look like much on paper DOES make a difference in real life.

You may be able to find more information by searching for Heavy Duty. The F250+ trucks are considered heavy duty and the 150s are not. The Heavy Duties are built with firmer suspension and other additions I'm sure.

I know I post this website everywhere, but it really is a great resource, even if you are not interested in a Ford. There is so much information on the ins and outs of trucks that work for a living (heavy duty and super duty) and what is most appropriate for any job. www.ford-trucks.com

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I have towed the exact same trailer (bumper pull) loaded with two big horses with a half ton truck and then a 3/4 ton truck. And yes, the size of the truck itself DOES make a difference in rig stability. There is more to towing than just engine capacity. Why is the 3/4 ton a better tow vehicle? Because it's heavier and longer and yes, I can verify that you will feel the difference (with a loaded bumper pull). One of the horses was a Belgian whose method of balancing was to lean against the side of the trailer. Pulling that with the 1/2 ton scared me to death, the whole rig would sway as he suddenly leaned to the side and it was on the edge of what the truck could counterbalance. Not long after, I pulled the same load with my 3/4. That horse may as well have danced a tango back there, there was no more sway and the extra weight of the truck/rear end/length, while it may not look like much on paper DOES make a difference in real life.
    From reading your other posts, you appear to have some knowledge/experience with trucks. I do find it odd that you seem to believe a 1/2 ton could sway just because a horse shifts it's weight. Sway indicates an improperly loaded trailer, or mechanical damage. It can not be compensated for by a different truck, the slight size difference between 1/2 and 3/4 ton certainly could not mask sway.

As I've explained before, a 1/2 ton can easily be the same size and weight as a 3/4 ton to begin with. The most noticeable difference in the ride would be the stiffer springs and tires. Of course tires can be upgraded, overload springs or WDH added...then performace issues can really become clouded.

I believe there is considerable difference in people's perception as to what is going on behind them and that perception is based largely on their confidence in the vehicle they use to haul the trailer. There is simply no way "That horse may as well have danced a tango back there" just because you now had a 3/4 ton. If the trailer swayed behind the 1/2 ton it will sway behind the 3/4 ton.

As for feeling a horse adjust his weight, last spring I had a smallish (900#) colt in our 2H behind our 3500 Duramax. After getting him loaded and heading home we passed a corner of the field he had lived in, seeing his pasture mates he decided to do his best to rejoin them........there was no doubt he was pitching a fit, even hauling with my 'big' pickup. This is the same trailer I hauled for many, many effortless miles behind my Explorer. That trailer pulled fine behind both vehicles with no sway, and while I could feel the horses act up behind either vehicle it was never 'scary'. A properly loaded/set up trailer is the key to getting where you're trying to go.
    Disclaimer;