The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Shiny Horse!

In winter, for some reason, I become even more ridiculously obsessed with my turnout than ever. I think it may be my lack of ability to give baths for several months
    This year, I've decided to go beyond my normal routine. I want my little mare to GLEAM. But I don't really want to pay for supplements. I know people use things such as vegetable oil drizzled over feed, but I cant get out to the barn at feeding time every day and the help is a little sketchy about giving supplements, so I'm trying to come up with some sort of treat thing I can give her (I'm out there six-seven days a week). I know molasses can be a darkener, but does it help with shine? I've heard of paprika for the same thing, but does the amount needed to make a difference show up as illegal (for capsaicin, I think)? Tell me any ideas you have/what you do for your horse!

I know someone is going to say that you cant manufacture this and that it comes from thorough grooming and proper nutrition. Her diet is great, she just gets a little too much grain and is therefore slightly chunky right now...they haven't had turnout due to weather. And my grooming routine takes over an hour. Mostly currying and toweling. So I think I'm fine on those fronts (and she is quite shiny), I just want some extra ooomph

you can give paprika to help shine and darken but if you plan to enter competition, you need to stop giving her paprika in her feed 10 days before the show. so, that means no last-minute rated shows. even if its just a little C show down the road, while the chances are slim they will be testing, you dont want to be caught in an unlucky position
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

There are flax treats available, though I'm not sure whether they have enough flax in them to make a difference.

The best thing to really make a coat shine is.... good regular grooming with clean brushes.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Adding flax to my horse's diet made him gleam like never before. He's an appy with a dull coat. When the light shines on him now, he shines. He has also grown a much better forelock, mane and tail.

I buy these treats for my broodmare who is really messy with her feed so she ends up wasting supplements. They're called Majesty's Omega Wafers (I think). I just happened to see them at my tack store and wanted to try them. I can't say I've really noticed a difference in her coat, but she's very fluffy and wintery right now. I bought them mostly for the omegas in them and flax's anti-ulcer powers. You give them 1-2 per day so I give it to her as her night check treat, they were about $20 for a bag and I got them about 3-4 weeks ago and still have plenty left.
    Who needs wings when you've got a jumper?
    http://darkstr.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    you can give paprika to help shine and darken but if you plan to enter competition, you need to stop giving her paprika in her feed 10 days before the show. so, that means no last-minute rated shows. even if its just a little C show down the road, while the chances are slim they will be testing, you dont want to be caught in an unlucky position
    Thanks for the info- we feed our brown horses Paprika in the summers to keep their coats dark and it's worked a treat, but good to know about it being testable.

We fed Progressive's Envission to add weight on the hard keepers and make them gleam a few weeks before inspections. It only took a small mount, 2 handfuls or so, perhaps you could feed it as a little treat?

Here's a pic of one of the mares before and after (right after her inspection) pictures a month or so apart

Before

After and One More
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    Thanks for the info- we feed our brown horses Paprika in the summers to keep their coats dark and it's worked a treat, but good to know about it being testable.

We fed Progressive's Envission to add weight on the hard keepers and make them gleam a few weeks before inspections. It only took a small mount, 2 handfuls or so, perhaps you could feed it as a little treat?

Here's a pic of one of the mares before and after (right after her inspection) pictures a month or so apart

Before

After and One More
    Wow! I looked at the before picture and thought 'That horse is pretty shiny already" and then looked at the after pictures and just WOW! The pictures don't even look real, like a painting! What you're doing is definately working!

I totally agree.!!!!!!!!! Those Pics are amaziing.
    I would like to know also .
    what are you doing ? What a coat you are producing there.
    "YOU create your own stage. The audience is waiting."

I know alot of HB people tell me flax seed is better that any oils in the feed. Apparently the oils can bring about other issues .? any truth to that .?
    "YOU create your own stage. The audience is waiting."

We keep our dark horses in during the day to keep the sun from bleaching them if they are going to inspections or shows- but the chestnut in the pictures above was out 24/7.

She's just a broodmare, her hunter career was ended with a pasture injury, so to be honest, she doesn't get groomed much aside from her feet, a flick off now and again and a hand through her tail to make sure she doesn't have any knots. Since she isn't groomed much, I'm convinced that the horses natural shine comes from within- their diet. I noticed a HUGE difference in our horses' coats when we switched our grain to Progressive Nutrition and now we're feeding Buckeye Gro N' Win, which seems to be having the same effect. I think it's all the essential oils and fatty acids. Perhaps also, not grooming them obsessively has allowed the natural oil in the coats to be preserved.

These are some candids I took around the farm one day- just to show you that these aren't show ring ready horses, but still maintain a fairly shiny coat:
    This is a shot of our broodmare band- still all fairly shiny: http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1965882_n.jpg
    A 3 year old gelding and a yearling pony: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2844145_n.jpg
    A broodie: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7462690_n.jpg
    A 4 year old in the round pen: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7063142_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Equinoxfox View Post
    I know alot of HB people tell me flax seed is better that any oils in the feed. Apparently the oils can bring about other issues .? any truth to that .?
    I have also heard this.

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    We keep our dark horses in during the day to keep the sun from bleaching them if they are going to inspections or shows- but the chestnut in the pictures above was out 24/7.

She's just a broodmare, her hunter career was ended with a pasture injury, so to be honest, she doesn't get groomed much aside from her feet, a flick off now and again and a hand through her tail to make sure she doesn't have any knots. Since she isn't groomed much, I'm convinced that the horses natural shine comes from within- their diet. I noticed a HUGE difference in our horses' coats when we switched our grain to Progressive Nutrition and now we're feeding Buckeye Gro N' Win, which seems to be having the same effect. I think it's all the essential oils and fatty acids. Perhaps also, not grooming them obsessively has allowed the natural oil in the coats to be preserved.

These are some candids I took around the farm one day- just to show you that these aren't show ring ready horses, but still maintain a fairly shiny coat:
    This is a shot of our broodmare band- still all fairly shiny: http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1965882_n.jpg
    A 3 year old gelding and a yearling pony: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2844145_n.jpg
    A broodie: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7462690_n.jpg
    A 4 year old in the round pen: http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7063142_n.jpg
    How do they stay so clean w/o being groomed? Whenever my horses get turned out they will find ANY dust/dirt/mud/etc. and roll in it immediately.

And oooo, shiny!!
    No jumps, no glory...
    Know jumps, know glory!
    "One person's wrong lead is another person's counter canter."
    -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Equinoxfox View Post
    ive actually been told by several people that flax seed causes problems by blocking absorption of nutrients. I forget how it works, but I know Ive been told this.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/