The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Helmets for round head shape?

I need a new helmet and have tried everything in the local shops. Everything seems too oval for my head. Any suggestions?

GPA's and the IRH Elite are the only helmets I have ever found to fit my round head. The IRH Elite is the only one in their line that fits decently, I have good luck with most GPA's although I currently have a speed air.

CO's are torture and give me a migraine.

GPA!

I can't wear CO's either.

If you're on a budget or like the classic velvet helmets- the IRH Pro-rider works for me too. I have a very round head and haven't found any other helmets to work.

The only two that work for my very oval head are the GPA Titum Pro and the GPA speed air.

Not all GPA's are created equal now. The Titium is long oval and the Textium is round....I think.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I love the way my speed air fits!! <3 Much better than my GR8. Definitely go for the speed air

another vote for the GPA Titium!

i caved and bought one this summer after one too many falls with my Charles Owen.. and i didn't realize how round my head was until i put on a correctly-fitting GPA! watch for sales at Dover.. they will discount the GPAs once in a while.

if you can't bear to part with that much cash, there are IRH models that fit similarly.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

While I love the traditional appearance of some of the Charles Owens they do not fit my round head at all.

Both the GPA Titium and Textium fit me very well, I went with the Textium and its so comfortable I never even know its on, although I still dislike that mushroom appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Both the GPA Titium and Textium fit me very well, I went with the Textium and its so comfortable I never even know its on, although I still dislike that mushroom appearance.
    i don't find the GPA mushroomy at ALL on my head.. which is unusual because i have a little bitty pin-head. (size 6 3/4!) it was the only thing that actually didn't look like a fishbowl on my head.

moral of the story is, just try on EVERYTHING and see what you like best!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I've definitely heard that the GPA's fit the round head, so I'd check them out. Personally, mine's rather oval, and the CO's fit perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    Not all GPA's are created equal now. The Titium is long oval and the Textium is round....I think.
    True - I can't remember which one I have - Textium, I think. I have a very round/square head. I can only wear the GPA comfortably. It's hot, though.

Thanks everyone I did try a GPA and it was definitely made for a more oval head. I'll see if I can try the other style...maybe that will solve my problem!