The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Shivering? Help

I have a 6 yr old tbred who has been having muscle spasms in his left hind end area (above the leg i think it would be like his hamstring?) and he had on a sheet and a turnout blanket and it was about 36 out. I wouldnt think he would have been cold, but he is very sensitive so he may have been. But I got on him and he was stiff behind and was holding his tail tucked in REALLY tight. He worked out of it a LITTLE but not really. What do you think it could be? Do you think hes just cold?

A very similar thing happened to me winter of last year with my TB.

I think he slipped on the ice or injured himself in turn out. He was very stiff and off behind on his right side in the exact area you are talking about. He could work out of it a little but not much at all.

He actually pulled or strained his muscle in that area. He would get spasms occasionally, too. Perhaps your guy did something similar?

I gave him some time off but did take him for hand walks on occasion since I didn't want him getting too stiff and it didn't seem to harm him to go for a short and easy walk.

I also bought a decently sized herbal heat pad that I'd throw in the microwave for a few minutes and put on the area. Same think you would do for yourself if you pulled or strained a muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    A very similar thing happened to me winter of last year with my TB.

I think he slipped on the ice or injured himself in turn out. He was very stiff and off behind on his right side in the exact area you are talking about. He could work out of it a little but not much at all.

He actually pulled or strained his muscle in that area. He would get spasms occasionally, too. Perhaps your guy did something similar?

I gave him some time off but did take him for hand walks on occasion since I didn't want him getting too stiff and it didn't seem to harm him to go for a short and easy walk.

I also bought a decently sized herbal heat pad that I'd throw in the microwave for a few minutes and put on the area. Same think you would do for yourself if you pulled or strained a muscle.
    Did he get better with time? I had thought he had injured himself about 3 months ago (he looked funny behind, not LAME but definately not 100%) and i gave him about 3 weeks off and he got turned out. He started back in work and is now at my trainers in pretty hard work. Maybe its starting to bother him again? Any other suggestions, do you think hes ok to be ridden? I will definitely try the heating pad!

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Of course it's possible he was cold.... Putting a sheet on underneath the blanket could be interfering with his ability to "loft" his hair which is how horses stay warm in cold weather. Was it a medium weight turnout, or a heavy weight turnout? If it was a medium weight turnout you might want to consider getting him a heavy weight turnout for when it gets down around freezing. Is he clipped?

The fact that he was still stiff when you rode him is not a good sign--he could be "tying up", which is not a good thing! Get the vet out when it's happening and have him draw blood to see what's going on.

May also be a muscle spasm from being used so hard but you have to rule out tying up first. If the horse is tying up my vet would recommend putting the horse on a selenium supplement, along with Vitamin D--check with your vet after running tests.

You should also consider PSSM: http://www.understanding-horse-nutri...-myopathy.html .

If your horse is not tying up then you should try putting your horse on Thia-Calm (something with 2 parts calcium carbonate to 1 part magnesium) or straight magnesium oxide to help relax those muscles.

Good luck!
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." ~Tom Magliozzi~ of the infamous duo, Click and Clack Tappet, Car Talk hosts. RIP, Tom 6/28/37-11/3/14

Ditto what Cherry said....
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider33 View Post
    Did he get better with time? I had thought he had injured himself about 3 months ago (he looked funny behind, not LAME but definately not 100%) and i gave him about 3 weeks off and he got turned out. He started back in work and is now at my trainers in pretty hard work. Maybe its starting to bother him again? Any other suggestions, do you think hes ok to be ridden? I will definitely try the heating pad!
    It could be that is starting to bother him again being in hard work and all. I haven't seen the horse but I think it's fine to ride him at least go for a walk so he isn't just standing around being stiff. However if he is off I wouldn't do much, I'd probably get the vet out for an assessment and to take a look at the other factors that Cherry mentioned.

If he's still looking funny I'd try the heat pad as mentioned because that will apply some heat and other good qualities to the muscle but I'd probably go with calling the vet to make sure the horse isn't tying up, strained or has some other deficiency that's making him act that way.

Aside from my horse and my experience we did have another TB with sort of similar symptoms and he had a selenium and vit E deficiency.

That's not shivering, that's a muscle spasm. Shivering doesn't happen in a localized area like that, it's more of an 'all over' kind of thing. And the clamped tail goes along with a muscle spasm or other muscular problem, more so than shivering. I'd be investigating tying up or an injury.

I took blood this past summer and there was no vitamin deficiency could this have changed since then? After doing research it does sound like a selenium/vitamin E deficiency. He is much worse in the winter... this never happened in the warm weather and now that i think about it its been going on ever since it got cold. Im planning on getting blood taken again and hopefully find the source of the problem! Also, his coat is looking HORRIBLE i did clip him in december and its growing back very course and weird. He has been wormed regularly... not sure if this has anything to do with the muscle spasms or not.

I would be biopsying him for PSSM, or if you don't want to spend the money, pt him on PSSM diet, low starch, hi fat and vitamin E supplement and see if that helps.