The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vogel Field Boots

Tell me all about them!
    Fit, quality... i want the good and the bad!

My Vogels are gorgeous! Quality depends on the leather you choose, but if you're looking for a custom, you can't beat them!

Assuming you get a properly qualified and experienced person to measure you, the fit is close to perfect as Vogles are custom, made to measure. But they are not walking shoes-always remember that.

Quality is top and the price reflects that but they last forever if properly cared for. There are many options with type of leather, style, lining or no and so forth.

There are some isolated complaints mainly with fit due bad measures and they do try to rectify these, sometimes the customer service at the retail end could be better. Not aware of any major quailty issues and darn few minor ones.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

[QUOTE=findeight;4683941].

Quality is top and the price reflects that but they last forever if properly cared for. There are many options with type of leather, style, lining or no and so forth.

QUOTE]

And if not properly cared for! I have a pair that I use for everyday riding and I am not that nice to them. I think they are on year 4 with several horses 5 or 6 days a week. I don't take great care of them, but they still clean up wonderfully if I need them to. They are starting to wear through the calf, but I was told that I can send them to vogels for repairs, which I will do rather than buy a new at home boot. They are so comfy they are like slippers!

I just got a new pair for shows and the break in time was not bad at all. Just make sure you are measured by someone who knows what they are doing. My new ones fit perfectly!

I bought a pair used ($20!) and they fit me really well. They're super-comfortable, since they're already broken in, and they look fabulous for being so old. The inner calf is worn and brown now, but the leather's still holding up well.

I have custom Vogel field boots and they still look like new. I've had them for 20 years. I only use them for shows and clinics which I haven't done in a few years. They don't have the zippers or punched toes but then again when I had them made it wasn't in style. I do recommend them although. I got my meaurements taken at the tack store and they did a good job.

I have a pair that are about 14 years old. I have mostly only used them for showing, which means they have had a lot of time off, but I don't think I will ever be able to afford another pair! I think they fit beautifully and never knew just how badly stock boots fit me, until I got those. I found them very comfortable from almost the very beginning. I love that they fit right around my smallish (for my size, I'm 5'9") foot. Makes my feet look tiny. They fit nicely around my ankle, without bagging, which never happens with stock boot, because I, also, have large calves. They, also, are nice and tall on my longish legs. I got measured at WIHS by Mr. Vogel. I, also, took them back to WIHS, after I lost some significant weight, to have Mr. Vogel measure to have them taken in. They are at the point now that they could use some minor repair work. One thing I don't like about mine (don't know if this has changed over the years) is that the black wears off easily to a red color. I have the french baby calf.

My Vogels are probably about 15 years old. I have the french calf (at that time, the options were domestic leather, french calf, or baby calf... I think?). The top level (baby calf, i think?) fits like a glove... but I was always told that they wear out very quickly... so since I used mine for lessons, clinics, and horse shows.. it made more sense to get the more durable french calf.
    I have spanish-styled (taller on the outside), punched toe, rib-soled, cuff-lined fieldmasters. How I still remember all of that... I'll never know!

I worked at a tack shop at the time I ordered them... so the tack shop owner set me up with a personal appt. with Mr. Vogel at their location in downtown NYC. They fit PERFECT.

I think they recommend that you get them 1.5 inches taller than your regular measurement to compensate for the drop/breaking in. I upped mine to 2 inches... which put them right where I wanted them. I'm tiny... so anything I can do to look taller!!!!

I didn't get 3/4 lined bc I wanted them to break-in a little quicker.... my friends that had the 3/4 lined had boots that were a bit stiffer. However, it will probably give your boot a longer shelf.

Picked the Fieldmaster style as opposed to the traditional Field Boot. I didn't like the heel block of the Field boot styling.

LOVE those boots... one of these days I'll get a zipper put in!