The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grooming at Home / Pay?

I'm wondering what the going rate for an at-home, part-time groom should be. We're talking about a college student who lives at home, looking to make some extra money. Hours would be 3-5 hours per day for 3-5 days a week. So no housing, no going to shows and no riding. I'm probably going to have to teach some things like wrapping and longeing, so we're not talking about an experienced pro. If lessons or riding is not included as part of pay, what would this be worth to a rider?

bump

Whatever the grocery stores and fast food places pay their part time entry level employees in your area. In some places it might only be minimum wage, in other areas where the cost of living is higher it might be up to $10 or $12 an hour.

If you have to teach them anything or supervise, they are not worth $10 and hour even in a more upscale area.

Best idea is they get whatever minimum wage is for 60 days and then they get a review and a raise...that would be AFTER they learn what to do, how to do it and prove dependability. Afraid about 50% of them won't make the 60 days, just the way it is. May take a few to get the right one.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

I would not pay to teach them anything .. I would give them a week of training, after that if they seem like they can handle the job I would pay them $8.00 per hour ( if this is on the books it will cost you more like $10.00 per hour between WC and your tax liability), Give that 2 weeks probabtion, another 30 day trial , if they are competent you can re-evaluate after the first 6 months. After going through too many trianing the first two weeks I've come to the conclusion of "Why am I paying to teach someone, then paying someone else to cover my time while I teach them, then fixing thier mistakes, Nop no more .. unpaid training , call it an extended interview if you must ..

Oh, avoid the free lessons or training (or even board) for a very part time job. There is NO WAY even $10 an hour for 10 to 15 hours a week is going to fairly offset the actual cost to you of providing them free.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Not paying someone while they are receiving their job training? Paying someone cash off the books so that you can pay them less than minimum wage? Wow. Remember even though their are a lot of people looking for jobs right now you are competing with Walmart, McDonalds, Taco Bell, the grocery store and the gas station for the QUALITY part time employees. If you don't value a person's time spent woking for you, you are going to get the people who don't give a crap about the quality of work they are doing.

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

That’s right , why would I as an employer pay a prospective employee a couple hundred dollars to take my time teaching them only to have them not work out ?? Times that by 3 or 4 till I get to one who will actually work, and I mean that in the most literal way .. and I could be out 5 or 6 hundred before I hire someone.. Nop, no thanks. I once hired a kid on a two week trial basis, kid was 16 .. had horse experience, ( according to his father) after 4 days of catching loose horses, re-tacking horses, re grooming horses, re wrapping horses ect.. he was GENTLY let go , only to have an IRATE father come in screaming the next day , "YOU promised him Two weeks.. YOU PAY HIM for those TWO WEEKS , "I'm sorry but your son doesn't have ANY experience". "NO YOU PAY HIM, YOU PROMISED , I'LL SUE YOU". All this in front of the kid . Everyone seems to think they are ENTITLED to be paid FOR NOTHING. Worse they want you to pay them WHILE you teach them. Thanks I'll subscribe to the old ways , they worked then, and they produced a worker of value. Give me a kid who wants to learn and I'll teach them, but on my terms not theirs, and when I find they have value as a real employee I will then and only then start paying them. Working with horses isn't like serving coffee at McDonals or stocking shelves at Walmart , you mis stock an item or forget to put sugar in a coffee, OH Well, wrap a horse wrong or forget to close a gate and it's a whole different game!

I pay my barn help $ 10 an hour and I round the paycheck up so he gets an even amount. He's a high school senior and we taught him what he needed to learn (paid him for his time learning). He mucks the stalls, scrubs buckets, does water and hay and whatever I need with the fences or whatever. He doesn't groom, per ce but his help with the labor is invaluable, so my DD can get her riding done. He will occasionally take a horse from her when she's done riding but they are both teenagers, so there is very little communication between them

His older brother worked for us and we are hoping his younger sister will start once he goes off to college in the fall.

MIKES MCS sounds like you need to do a better job in the interview process. You should also know that what you are doing is bordering on illegal and you may one day get yourself sued http://www.freelegaladvicehelp.com/e...ning-Time.html
    Unpaid training is legal if no work is performed that is of any benefit to the company.
    And I would not let any new employee, no matter how experienced they claimed to be, perform tasks unsupervised within the first 4 days of employment. Add to that you have an employee you know had no horsemanship abilities, plus they are a minor, and you are putting them in situations that endanger them and the horse they are handling? Sorry, not the kid's fault, you failed as an employer. Every employer has time that they invest into an employee training at the beginning of employment (and continuing throughout employment, usually, if you want to keep an employee stimulated and interested in their job), do your part with a thorough interview and reference check and that is where you should be covering your ass to keep yourself from getting burned, not by taking advantage of people and breaking labor laws. Employees are not slaves or indentured servants.

Taking advantage of a young person who is eager to get into the horse business, only paying them when you feel like it, and then in many cases paying them cash off the books that comes out to be less than minimum wage, its just pathetic. The horse industry as a whole could really use a big shake up as far as treating labor fairly, unfortunatly there are far too many owners who think they should get 1940s style full service care for $200 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post
    That’s right , why would I as an employer pay a prospective employee a couple hundred dollars to take my time teaching them only to have them not work out ?? Times that by 3 or 4 till I get to one who will actually work, and I mean that in the most literal way .. and I could be out 5 or 6 hundred before I hire someone.. Nop, no thanks. I once hired a kid on a two week trial basis, kid was 16 .. had horse experience, ( according to his father) after 4 days of catching loose horses, re-tacking horses, re grooming horses, re wrapping horses ect.. he was GENTLY let go , only to have an IRATE father come in screaming the next day , "YOU promised him Two weeks.. YOU PAY HIM for those TWO WEEKS , "I'm sorry but your son doesn't have ANY experience". "NO YOU PAY HIM, YOU PROMISED , I'LL SUE YOU". All this in front of the kid . Everyone seems to think they are ENTITLED to be paid FOR NOTHING. Worse they want you to pay them WHILE you teach them. Thanks I'll subscribe to the old ways , they worked then, and they produced a worker of value. Give me a kid who wants to learn and I'll teach them, but on my terms not theirs, and when I find they have value as a real employee I will then and only then start paying them. Working with horses isn't like serving coffee at McDonals or stocking shelves at Walmart , you mis stock an item or forget to put sugar in a coffee, OH Well, wrap a horse wrong or forget to close a gate and it's a whole different game!
    You should have paid him. He did two week's work for you. Do this in the corporate world, and you wouldn't get away with it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Yes I think it is pretty shady to not pay someone for training if they are doing the work. Even if it is a reduced training rate/hour, you still need to give them something. The grocery store will pay them to be trained, so why would they waste those weeks with you earning nothing? I have been on both sides of the board and this is my opinion.

When I worked for a trainer I made $10 an hour with no taxes taken out, but I had to file at the end of the year (and that sucked, I was young and had no clue, but if I had, I would not have done it that way). I did have a lot of experience around horses, I had been around them since I could walk, and the only new things were discipline-specific things because it was a different discipline for me. I worked 3-5 days per week in the evenings. I did the feeding and turn-in/turn-out routine and maybe picked out a stall and a few paddocks, but nothing major. I also cleaned water tanks, groomed, cleaned tack, spread manure, dragged the ring, tacked up horses, etc. When I was not in school for the summer or other breaks I worked longer days tacking up all days, and when she hosted clinics at the barn I was there all day helping out. When she was going to shows I would spend the day before packing the trailer according to check list and bathing the horses to a T.

Like I said I was very experienced with horses personally. I don't know that it's a job that would be worth it to someone who did not have their own experience riding and such. If they did I would think lunging and wrapping would be second nature, it is for me. Also a job that would wind up being 10-15 hours a week may not be worth it to someone, I know that I had to supplement with a restaurant job that I hated.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."