The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default blinders in the jumpers?

What rules are there governing the use of blinders in the jumpers? Size, etc. I'm not talking about the ones used for driving horses, but the "rolls" that go down the side of the cheekpieces. Any experiences?

I have a mare that just needs a little more focus on course. This is not a flatwork issue - she is fantastic on the flat, adjustable and responsive. When the jumps appear, however, she is just a little too all over the place mentally, and as a result becomes a bit rushy and resistant. My trainer and I were thinking about trying the blinders, just for kicks.

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

The ones like shadow rolls?

Legal, far as I know because I have seen them.

One thing though...it might reduce peripheral vision to the point it hurts you in a sharp turn as they have to peek around farther to see where you want them to go. I would not overdo the size.

Have you tried stuffing the ears? Helps enormously and you can either dye them or use one of those fancy big time jumper bonnets.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Driving blinders are actually legal, so are the "Can't See Backs." Those are the fleecey things. Try schooling in them. They help alot with some horses.

I've used fleece rolls on one of our mares and on a stallion we used race horse blinkers. The set I used on him were cheaters which means the cups are cut pretty far back. No one said anything that we could not use them at the show and he was reserve champion that day.
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

An old trainer of mine would put halter fuzzies on just about everyone. I could never really tell a difference but he told me that since my horse was so young (4 and learning to jump) he needed them to keep his attention. He had us use them at home and at shows. I'm not sure what the reasoning was for all the others but nobody ever said anything to us!
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

In Canada we cannot use ones more than 3 cm thick...

try buying the fleece ones that attach to the bridle. if you can't find them, try buying a set of pony size shipping halter fleeces, which will probably work too. they are fairly cheap.

just dont get too big with thickness, though--it could hinder you when youre making tight turns, as the jump will seem to come out of nowhere to the horse, which may lead to some refusals
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

I've used them before on one whose mind had a tendency to stray from the task at hand and drop rails with his hind end if he caught sight of something movig off to the side out of the corner of his eye. It might have saved a rail or two over the years.

I don't know that it would give focus to a horse that didn't generally have it. It's worth a shot, though. Grab some halter fleecies and see what she does.