The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default This time it's the Deep South's turn~ snowstorm on the way...

Batten down the hatches, kids. She's winding up and on the way. Alabama, Georgia, & SC...here she comes!
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Still hitting Dallas... They're predicting we may have 7" before the day is out!

Holy crap!!! I'm in Houston - I thot it was just a 'regular' rain...didnt know you all were getting pounded!

It's gonna be weird for us in GA..... usually it's the far north portion of the state that gets it, but this time it'll be more central/southern. They're talking mere flurries for the metro-Atlanta area, so I'm not worried.

Besides, my two are yaks anyway.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Hunt- I was not happy when I saw that on facebook last night.

*wimper* I moved south to get away from that crap! and besides these southerns are immoblized by a little bit of the white stuff.

guess I"m glad I put out a round bale yesterday.
    Last edited by Catersun; Feb. 11, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I'm not worried. I live in central GA and whatever "snow" we get will be minimal and will melt away in a few hours. Nothing like some of y'all have gotten. The worst I've ever seen it here was about 2" and we were without power for a few days. That can be a problem when you are on a farm that is all electric...including our electric well pump. No power means no water, heat or cooking either. The worst problem we have when these kind of storms hit the deep south is that we aren't set up with the proper equipment to handle any kind of snow fall or ice on the roads. The ice accumulates on the tree limbs or power lines and they break.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    *wimper* I moved south to get away from that crap! and besides these southerns are immoblized by a little bit of the white stuff.
    Ahem. We prefer to think of it as taking an unscheduled holiday.

And, as you know, we are the masters of immobility - snow or no.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    Hunt- I was not happy when I saw that on facebook last night.

guess I"m glad I put out a round bale yesterday.
    Every time "snow" is predicted for the deep south these people run to the store and buy all the milk and bread. I've never seen anything like it. Me, I'm going to the feed store for a couple of square bales of hay. I won't make my southern bred horses go out in the freezing rain if they will more comfy in the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post

True dat, pAin't! Too bad it's gonna be on a Friday nite...

ETA: Yep, milk & bread...LOL! Never have been able to figure that one out. And if a hurricane comes calling, there goes all the plywood & batteries too.

Me, I'll be heading out to the barn after work to stack a few extra hay bales in the feed room, add some extra shavings & top off the water trough. Maybe I'll go on down another half mile to hubby's riverhouse and pick up a tube to attach to the ATV. A little extreme tubing in the snow could be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post

too true!! lol ya'll southerns definately take things at a slower pace
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    Every time "snow" is predicted for the deep south these people run to the store and buy all the milk and bread. I've never seen anything like it.
    They do the same thing here. It's not unique to the south!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    I'm not worried. I live in central GA and whatever "snow" we get will be minimal and will melt away in a few hours. Nothing like some of y'all have gotten. The worst I've ever seen it here was about 2" and we were without power for a few days. That can be a problem when you are on a farm that is all electric...including our electric well pump. No power means no water, heat or cooking either. The worst problem we have when these kind of storms hit the deep south is that we aren't set up with the proper equipment to handle any kind of snow fall or ice on the roads. The ice accumulates on the tree limbs or power lines and they break.
    Hahahaha one year it was over the top of my riding boots!
    You'd better knock wood quickly so the evil spirits don't decide to show you!
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
    Batten down the hatches, kids. She's winding up and on the way. Alabama, Georgia, & SC...here she comes!
    Nooooooooooo!
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Saw snowflakes in the weather forecast for the FL panhandle areas also!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Just got back from the store-- Had to go buy milk, bread and cereal!!!

I can hardly believe it-- two snows within one winter!!! Last time that happened was 1973!!! Back then, it snowed twice in Feb. of all months.

This time it was Dec. 5, 2009, and now predicted for tonight and tomorrow. We had a few little frozen water balls like mini-hail fall this morning, but it all melted.

I went out to put on blankets, and stall the two oldest horses this morning. I already fed everyone and filled all the water troughs, too. Not only do I not like to drive --make that can't- drive in snow, I don't like to be out in it either-- makes my arthritis act up.

Trying to keep warm and dry in South Louisiana.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
    Elysian Fields Farm--
    --An equine refuge

Wow. Winter Storm Watches already for Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Jasper, & Orangeburg counties. Gonna be an interesting night watching this all unfold...

ETA: Update~ Horry (my county), along with Florence, Georgetown & Marion is now under a WSW, expecting 2-4 inches of the white stuff. It's been extended right on up the coast into NC counties of Bladen, Pender, Columbus, Brunswick, & New Hanover.
    Last edited by HuntJumpSC; Feb. 11, 2010 at 04:57 PM.

I for one relish the opportunity to have a different type of precipitation here. Rain is boring but snow is a rare treat!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntJumpSC View Post
    Wow. Winter Storm Watches already for Beaufort, Berkeley, Charleston, Jasper, & Orangeburg counties. Gonna be an interesting night watching this all unfold...

ETA: Update~ Horry (my county), along with Florence, Georgetown & Marion is now under a WSW, expecting 2-4 inches of the white stuff. It's been extended right on up the coast into NC counties of Bladen, Pender, Columbus, Brunswick, & New Hanover.
    this is soooo not funny... 2 inches will shut down the WHOLE state.... *oy I have clients doing the MB marathon thisweekend too.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

We had snow here in Ocala last month, kids were making mini snowmen and taking pictures, since it is a very rare occurance. Supposed to rain here again overnight, wonder if it will get cold enough for it to actually be snow.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    I for one relish the opportunity to have a different type of precipitation here. Rain is boring but snow is a rare treat!
    That is one "treat" I would rather the northerners keep to themselves! I moved to FL to escape all that stuff... Not much further south I can go. (Cayman islands is looking real good right now)