The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Achen (sp?) Eventing in Germany

I watched this yesterday on HRTV of all places. They seemed to be doing dressage, stadium jumping and cross country last. Is this the usual format these days? I thought the stadium jumping was supposed to be last.

The order of the phases depends on where you are. In 'real' eventing (CIC and CCI), stadium is still last, as far as I know.

If this is a horse trial (such as USEA sanctioned in the US), many areas have gone to doing cross country last. This has to do with time constraints and amount of participants, especially with one day shows.

My first year of showing was Fair Hill's last year of doing stadium last. At one show, delays on cross country caused the show to run past darkness. At another show, the delays caused the stadium phase to be an hour an a half late, leaving worn out horses, because the delay kept increasing. First it was a 15 min delay, so I wandered out to warm up a bit later...then another 15 min....then another...I kept essentially warming up and cooling down. By the time my mare and I got into the ring both our brains were fried.

Now, with cross country last, you get stadium out of the way and go straight to cross country. It has eliminated a lot of delays. and makes the show run much more smoothly with the larger participant size.

This may be the case in Aachen, Germany as well. I did a quick google search, but could not find what you are referring to, so not sure the level it would have been at.

It's the CICO*** (Major International Horse Trials) at Aachen. It is held over two days with XC last.
    http://www.chio-aachen.de/SPORT/Viel...it_Infos_e.asp

A CCI is Dressage- Cross Country - Show Jumping.

A CIC is Dressage - Show Jumping - Cross Country.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    A CCI is Dressage- Cross Country - Show Jumping.

A CIC is Dressage - Show Jumping - Cross Country.
    Is that how it is always supposed to be? I participated in two CICs last year (GW and MJ) and both of them were Dressage - XC - SJ, same as the CCIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Comedy View Post
    Is that how it is always supposed to be? I participated in two CICs last year (GW and MJ) and both of them were Dressage - XC - SJ, same as the CCIs.
    Not sure if that is how it ALWAYS is- need to look up the FEI rules. but that is how it typically runs.

ETA
    Found it. CCI is always Dr - CC - SJ.
    But CIC-
    2. CIC
    CIC Events comprise the same three tests. The event may take place over
    1, 2 or even 3 days. The Dressage Test always takes place first. Either the
    cross country or the show jumping may form the last test.
    Last edited by Janet; Feb. 11, 2010 at 09:58 AM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The Germans have proposed to the FEI that cross country always be last. Rationale is that XC would then be the deciding factor. They seem to prefer AS A RULE having XC as the final phase. They run very, very few CCI's in Germany, and Aachen has refused to become one.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

On a side note, I was at Aachen last year (so lucky!) and the last 3 XC jumps were placed inside the stadium field. The horses had to come almost through a chute to get in there off the main XC field... then came in to their last 3 jumps in the ring, with the crowds in the stands... it was so cool!!!! Aachen was an amazing show to watch!