The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

JCL1215 Guest

Default Insurance coverage for Shockwave/Stem Cell treatments?

Does anyone know if a 'standard' mort/med/surg insurance policy covers newer treatments such as shockwave, IRAP, Stem cell??
    What has your experience been? Thanks!

Depends on the policy- it just varies too much to make a blanket statement
    That being said mine has covered for me and covers under most circumstances shock wave, PRP, stem cell and an MRI
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Ours covered IRAP and shockwave, havent done anything with stemcell.

I have Markell, and they've covered IRAP and stem cell.

I'd give your claims adjuster a jingle. You have to notify them of the injury anyway, so that would also be a good time to ask about coverage. You should also read your policy to double-check whatever the adjuster tells you.

Mine covered $1,200 in shockwave and would have covered IRAP and stem cell as well if we had chosen to do it.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Mine covered MRI and shockwave (there are two kinds, one that is more coverable), but not IRAP since its use on soft tissue was considered "experimental." In the end, it didn't matter since I ended up exceeding my $7500-dollar limit that year anyway. Know of cases (not my horse, not my insurance company) where it's paid for stem-cell and PRP.

One thing to watch out for is that they don't talk you into closing the claim before you're ready to. B/c then if there's a recurrence it becomes a new claim, with a new deductible and possibly no coverage b/c of a pre-existing condition.

Mine expressly lists those items in the policy as coverage up to $1200 per injury. Check your policy- they might be in yours too.

Who does everyone use? I need to get a new medical policy for my horse.

Thanks!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I'm with American Livestock. I expected to get Great American as my agent uses them a lot, but apparently there is a higher deductible and a co-pay on their new policies this year, so she advised against it.

Mine is covering the mare's current PRP and IRAP therapies. I have AIG insurance. So far, they've been great!

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    I'm with American Livestock. I expected to get Great American as my agent uses them a lot, but apparently there is a higher deductible and a co-pay on their new policies this year, so she advised against it.

That is who I want to switch from actually!!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    That is who I want to switch from actually!!
    What don't you like about American Livestock? Just curious- I've only had them for a few weeks.

I have had 2 insurance companies cover 2 seperate suspensory injuries. In 2003 my horse had a high front suspensory injury and my insurance company paid for US and shockwave. When that company stopped insuring horses, I went with The Equine Insurance Center who insured my horse with GAIG. The same horse ended up with a low hind suspensory injury a couple of years ago and GAIG paid for therapeutic US, then Stem Cell. My vet suggested PRP first, but GAIG wouldn't cover it since it is considered experimental. The stem cell is significantly more, but since it has been around longer the insurance company agreed to pay for it.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

I have Great American (but like someone said, they are changing the deductibles and co-pays this year, so I'm probably going to shop around before renewing). I have had them pay for shockwave (max of 3 treatments per injury, $400 each, so total $1,200 limit) and PRP (I think it was a $700 limit). If it influenced my decision on what treatment course to follow, I would check with the insurance company ahead of time to find out what the coverage is.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    I have Great American (but like someone said, they are changing the deductibles and co-pays this year, so I'm probably going to shop around before renewing). I have had them pay for shockwave (max of 3 treatments per injury, $400 each, so total $1,200 limit) and PRP (I think it was a $700 limit). If it influenced my decision on what treatment course to follow, I would check with the insurance company ahead of time to find out what the coverage is.

Ditto this.. Let me know what you find, I am doing the same as you!!

I use broadstone and this past year they covered shock wave ($600) and stem cell ($2200) fully. I had one $325 deductable at the beginning of my claim..
    I was very happy with them and they were very easy to deal with