The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default NQR but not lame- suggestions

For two weeks I've been having some issues with my gelding starting after a body clip (no, I do not think the actual clipping did this to him, but perhaps something he did while be clipped, or something totally not related)...

I am having the vet come next week, but I don't even know where to start/waht this could be. Horse has always been more built up on his right side than left. Guess was a probable shoulder injury at some point, but it wasn't anything that seemed to be causing major problems. He has had the attitude from hell these last two weeks. I have been busy so haven't been riding him as much the past two weeks and so I did not realize the extent of it until today.

Horse is not as willing to move forward, remains tense the whole ride, is inverted and highly resistant to coming down on the bit and lifting his back. Horse is still green, so isn't 100% on the bit yet, but is never quite so defiant and tense. He appears to be tracking up well still at the trot in both directions, but I think a little "stabby" with his hind left at the canter-- really is holding his hind in tucked under him while cantering. Going to the left he feels U shaped-- like his hind is tracking inward and you can't get him to straighten out. He is difficult to get to pick up left lead as well-- wants to pick up the right. If you stand head on, you can see that he is tracking in two tracks. Like this:

__l l
    l l

rather than

l l
    l l

His right hip area seems sore to pressure and he has been goosey/has kicked out on that side a bit while grooming.

So with all the random symptoms, any guesses? Like I said, vet is coming to look at him, but I hate not having any idea what it could be. I was thinking left hind, but then the right side is the sore to the touch side. And at first I was thinking shoulder, but now the hind end seems to be more likely the issue. Back isn't sore, but then resistant to rounding often means something in the spine.

I would leave the clipping out of it. If you had said he was touchy and jumpy I'd say maybe the clipping left him feeling a little overly senstitive, but I have a feeling what you are experiencing has nothing to do with it. And unless he fell down or really, really slipped and/or struggled while clipping, I can't imagine what he could have done to himself to cause these issues while he was being clipped. If he DID slip and fall or some such thing, you should tell the vet that.

Canter issues are common with a sore sacro illiac (sp?? I always just call it the SI). If he is green, that would not surprise me at all, since it is very common for a young and/or green horse to get very sore through that area as they start to use their backs and butts more. My vet feels strongly that when the SI is sore on a young horse it is best to go ahead and inject it to relieve the inflammation. That way, you avoid letting them learn resistance behaviors caused by pain, the pain is relieved which allows them to continue to develop their backs and butts (as you can see now with your horse, he isn't using himself properly which means he's not going to develop properly), which will in turn help prevent that soreness from returning. I agree with this theroy 100% but I know it can be VERY unpopular.

The horse could also stand to be chiropracted.

Clipping-wise-- no, he did not stand well while being clipped. He did not all and out fall down, but he did struggle and slip around some. I'm thinking he could have pulled something at that point.

Good suggestion with the SI. I've had a horse with SI issues in the past. This guy isn't behaving in similar ways as that one, but I suppose it could be a different SI issue. This one does not react at all to pressure down the back and at the top of the rump. He reacts to pressure on the side of his hip. Not on the point of the hip only, but just overall pressure on the entire side of his backside.

He has always traveled a little crooked (not as intensely as it is showing up now), but has been free with his back and neck and not the problems with the canter.

He's been chiropracted in the past-- that is the vet who told me he suspected a previous shoulder injury. He hasn't been adjusted since this funkiness started two weeks ago and unfortuantely will not be able to be adjusted until the end of next month (chiro's schedule). Honestly, I don't note changes after the chiro with him. It is the same Dr as I've used in the past and that I have noted changes with on other horses.

I'll be interested in what the vet can or cannot figure out.

I had a similar situation with my dressage horse 2 years ago. He would take the occasional off/uneven step behind. I was riding and showing him. He was sensitive midway along the ilium (pelvic bone that goes from SI to hip joint), but that's a common hot spot for other stuff.

Long story short, my NQR horse became non-weight-bearing lame overnight. He had cracked his pelvis somehow and the fracture opened up and became slightly displaced. It has been an 18-month journey of recovery for him now --- it might have been avoided had I pushed diagnosis during the NQR phase!

I consulted with both my chiro (who had been seeing the horse all along) and my vet ---- and between the two of them they suspected a pelvic/hip/SI injury. An ultrasound exam of these areas showed the pelvic fracture. The lesson we all (even the vet, who had poo poo'd a serious injury while the chiro was really worried about it) learned was "Always investigate NQR thoroughly."

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    I had a similar situation with my dressage horse 2 years ago. He would take the occasional off/uneven step behind. I was riding and showing him. He was sensitive midway along the ilium (pelvic bone that goes from SI to hip joint), but that's a common hot spot for other stuff.

Long story short, my NQR horse became non-weight-bearing lame overnight. He had cracked his pelvis somehow and the fracture opened up and became slightly displaced. It has been an 18-month journey of recovery for him now --- it might have been avoided had I pushed diagnosis during the NQR phase!

I consulted with both my chiro (who had been seeing the horse all along) and my vet ---- and between the two of them they suspected a pelvic/hip/SI injury. An ultrasound exam of these areas showed the pelvic fracture. The lesson we all (even the vet, who had poo poo'd a serious injury while the chiro was really worried about it) learned was "Always investigate NQR thoroughly."
    I hope your horse ends up fine.. wow what a story. One of those things I am always worried/suspicious about. Good luck!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

What are his feet like? One sorta clubby and the other flat & underrun?