The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default large non-adherent dressings

Does anyone know where to buy the large non-adherent dressings? I can only find the telfa pads which are nice but they're too small.

My vet gave me some larger ones (maybe 5"X5" or 5x6) but I can't find any place to buy them. I can find telfa at 3x8 but am looking for more of a large square.

I've done this:
    paper toweling, then plastic wrap (saran wrap from your kitchen) then tape. Vet showed me, it's what he often uses instead of tefla pad.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    My vet gave me some larger ones (maybe 5"X5" or 5x6) but I can't find any place to buy them. I can find telfa at 3x8 but am looking for more of a large square.
    Kendall makes 6" by 6" Telfa pads according to their website; here is a list of dealers (by state - click on the state). http://www.kendallhq.com/catalog/DealerLocator.asp

Google: Surgi Pad

You'll find several that suit your needs

I've found things like that at CVS, although I'm not sure they'd be large enough for your needs. You might even ask a pharmacist at the local drugstore - they might know where you could get the larger non-stick bandages.
    In memory of Rebuff (1974-2009)

Rest in peace, my sweet man

Take 2 of the smaller ones and tape them together across the "outside" so that the part against the wound is smooth. Or just ask to buy some of the big ones from your vet.
    I get all my stuff from a friend who's a doctor... I just tell her what I need and she finds it for me... just go and make friends with a doctor

Quote Originally Posted by jump4me View Post
    Take 2 of the smaller ones and tape them together across the "outside" so that the part against the wound is smooth. Or just ask to buy some of the big ones from your vet.
    I get all my stuff from a friend who's a doctor... I just tell her what I need and she finds it for me... just go and make friends with a doctor
    Thanks. My sister is a doctor! Doh! Sometimes I just don't see the obvious.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

In early wound trx stages, I love ABD pads - usually every drugstore carries them - they are for post surgical abdominal wound dressings - about 4X6, thick, absorbent and non stick for even the goopiest wounds (yes, I really tested this out recently). I think I got my vet hooked on them as well and they are fairly inexpensive and durable/absorbent enough to last under a wrap for a while if you are doing 48+ hour wound wraps.

After that I just overlap 2 4x4s, put on whatever dressing I'm using and slap it on the leg. The ointment holds both non sticks to the leg long enough to do a roll of gauze and/or a standing wrap.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

As above, ABD pads. Sanitary napkins work as well.

I used the ABD pads on my horse who sliced his hock right open. They worked great even with all the gooping that it did. I bought them at Walgreens.
    ~Isabel

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Look for gauze sponges at your local pharmacy--they're square. I had some that were made by Johnson & Johnson, I think.

At any rate, talk to your local pharmacist--he can probably order whatever you are looking for!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Walmart has surgical dressings - look for abdominal ones and check the labels as they come in several sizes from 4X4 to 12X12. Most pharmacies will also have these but you may have to ask for them and asking may produce even larger dressings if you know your pharmacist.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Echoing what everyone else says about the ABD pads. I folded them in half for a wound that drained like you would not believe but I could only manage 2-3 dressing changes a day. I got tired of paying drug store prices though and asked the pharmacist if there was a cheaper place to buy all the supplied without shipping involved. He directed me to the local home medical supply store. Bought everything in bulk and stocked up my emergency supplies.
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy the large non-adherent dressings? I can only find the telfa pads which are nice but they're too small.

They're Telfas too. We order ours from one of our suppliers...MWI or something. Anyway, they're the size of a sheet of notebook paper.

You should be able to get them from a medical supply catalogue or somesuch. Or order them through your vet. Ours come in bags of about 250 or so (they come by weight I think, I'm not sure. My techs take care of that lol)
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

3M Gamgee, it's cotton padding with a cover that comes in long rolls for use as a wound dressing or for leg wraps.

Many tack/feed stores carry it.

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,4914.html

The other great thing I found for heavily draining wounds were 3M activated carbon dressings. They really help clean things up, and they aren't terribly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Leather View Post
    3M Gamgee, it's cotton padding with a cover that comes in long rolls for use as a wound dressing or for leg wraps.

Many tack/feed stores carry it.

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,4914.html
    ditto this stuff. It comes in a roll and you can cut what you need. great for a lot of drainage, too.

All great suggestions. Not sure if you need sterile or non-sterile. If you need a sterile, non-sticking dressing, Johnson and Johnson makes a burn dressing called Adaptic. I've used it on my horses and me and it doesn't stick. There are also gel dressings (to prevent the wound from drying out and sealing stuff in), colloidal silver (inherently antibacterial). A web search or a trip to the local medical/ surgical supply house will give you enough options to become giddy

Hope your horse is on the mend soon!