The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default You KNOW it's windy when....

There are WHITE CAPS in the water trough! Seriously, we have had winds gusting over 50 mph today and it is horrendous here. Guess we ARE lucky we haven't been getting dumped with snow like everyone north of us, but we have so much mud, it's like ice skating down my driveway right now In SPITE of the 20 toms of gravel we put on a couple weeks ago. I want winter to STOP!!!!

My dear, this is not winter. This is a siege.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Oh, we had the same thing here today. My mud puddles looked like an ocean with all the waves, putting out hay was awful as it blew right back in our faces, and the horses were psycho. More heavy rain over night. I got the tractor stuck several times today...that is a normal theme for putting out big bales. If not for my loader to push myself out, the tractor would still be out there!

We were just south of the snow line here in our area. Other than a hour or so of horizontal snow this am, we missed the mess in Hampton Roads area. There was 50 car pileup around Yorktown/Ft Eustis area (not far from Williamsburg area) on I64. I'm headed up there tomorrow to trim but I hear the mess is cleaned up now. How lucky it was not today instead!

I looked at our forecast a few minutes ago. More snow for Sat and then early next week we have three days of snow forecast. WTF is this???

I have decided that if this is what winter is going to be like here, we may as well move north and not have to deal w/the extremely hot summers either. OR I will have to build an indoor. Which would still not solve the mud and cold problem.

I am disgusted.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I am with you! I am seriously wondering WTF is going on, I mean for four months now I have barely had ANY income, too wet, cold, icy, snowy or windy (pick one or more of the above!) to teach or ride horses most of the time! I actually have priced a small indoor and it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation! ABout to say to heck with it, sell off the horses, sell the famr keep one or two for myself and let someone ELSE deal with this crap! Sorry but my patience is worn TOTALLY thin and at 52 years old, I just don't do this kind of weather well!

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Agreed. I'm cold down to my bones.

I'm in SC, and the wind was definitely high today. I did brave the "cold" but mostly the wind... but I have to say this is the first time I've ever experienced feeling myself tilt slightly when a wind gust hit. The wind cut through every layer I had on...

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    I agree, this is not what I signed up for when I moved south! I wore windblocking clothing today and felt like since the wind couldn't go through me it would just lift me up and take me with it!
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

eqtrainer, I hear ya, sister. I am usually someone who loves the cold and gets depressed when spring comes because I know summer is not too far behind. But the dampness here this winter is the worst and I hated the wind today!

I was in Aspen CO last weekend and even though it was in the 20s, it felt delightfully warm because it's so dry (and I was surprised how little snow there was in the town).

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    I am with you! I am seriously wondering WTF is going on, I mean for four months now I have barely had ANY income, too wet, cold, icy, snowy or windy (pick one or more of the above!) to teach or ride horses most of the time! I actually have priced a small indoor and it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation! ABout to say to heck with it, sell off the horses, sell the famr keep one or two for myself and let someone ELSE deal with this crap! Sorry but my patience is worn TOTALLY thin and at 52 years old, I just don't do this kind of weather well!
    I'm with you. I am looking at my power bills for Jan right now and they are the highest I have ever seen. WTF is right!!! Over $400 for my barn!!!

That office job is looking better all the damn time. I DO have a degree and a professional certification. I must be nuts doing that day in and day out.

Ride? What is that? I haven't ridden in months. My training horses are standing around. My rings have been under water. It is so frustrating.

Wink Buncha Whiners!!!

Well I win! 30 inches of snow on the ground....drifting, power off 3 days, no tv/phone.....horses are insane & broke into feedroom/hay...what a mess....frozen water hydrant & hoses....stranded since friday.....We can blame it on El Nino!!
    It's a snowpocalypse.
    SNOWMAGEDDON!!!

I braved the wind to go out and groom the old man today. There were parts of the barn roof flashing that were coming off in the wind. I thought the big doors were going to lift off and take flight. I kept looking for the flying cow from the movie Twister. While he might have been okay with walking around in the mud with me on him, I was scared something would go airborn and whack us from behind!!
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

We had nice weather here up to Thanksgiving and then the rain and the wind and the snow - I get frustrated with the mud that freezes and then thaws halfway out, blecch. Windy today here too. Being on the ridgetop we get blowing snow, now it is blowing the snow chunks off of the woodpile and my driveway is under a drift.
    I think by next year we will have made some changes to make things easier. I sure hope so anyway!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Shawnee, I hear you. I go to school at App State in Boone and we're in the middle of a blizzard with steady 45mph winds and gusting up to around 60-70mph!

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyRed View Post
    Shawnee, I hear you. I go to school at App State in Boone and we're in the middle of a blizzard with steady 45mph winds and gusting up to around 60-70mph!
    My best friends son goes there - Nathan Vallejo - and I heard they are being snowed in and freezing.. bummer as he is supposed to be home this Friday to play in his family band - winter is even interfering w/our entertainment!
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I'm with you. I am looking at my power bills for Jan right now and they are the highest I have ever seen. WTF is right!!! Over $400 for my barn!!!

That office job is looking better all the damn time. I DO have a degree and a professional certification. I must be nuts doing that day in and day out.

Ride? What is that? I haven't ridden in months. My training horses are standing around. My rings have been under water. It is so frustrating.
    $400 for a barn?! Is it heated?? My barn is only between $45 and $55 for elec, course I just have two outside "night lights" lights in barn (but they are only on for a short while in evening) and a fridge. But the house is a whole nuther story!!