The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just shaking my head over this one...

Ok. Ad in craigslist today that has me shaking my head wondering what people are thinking.
    "TB mare. Off the track due to an injury to her knee. Just a cut, but it's healed with only a little scar. She reared over backwards and pulled some muscles in her legs, but the vet says there's no permanent injury. She cribs a little, but only when she's nervous. She is spooky and will rear at new things." And what do they want for this gem? $3500.

So what? I'd rather have them price her like that than put her at kill buyer prices. At least the higher price implies that they may care a little bit about the horse. Sheesh, give people a break!

Sounds like a keeper! NOT! I can deal with lots, but not a rear.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

To Tha Ridge: Well maybe, but around here you can buy sound, clean legged 16.2 hand TBs with good minds for under a thousand. And I think I'd rather humanely euthanize one that is known to rear over backwards than to sell it down the road and have it hurt someone.

Default Sounds like my OTTB

Though they didn't advertise him as much more than "Grey OTTB" he was incredibly spooky, indifferent to humans, had flipped backward out of the gate once, had a large scar on the inside of rear hock joint, and was drugged to the gills. They were asking $2500 and this was a dozen years ago. Owner was the 3rd in a few months and was holding a "fire sale" to get rid of him so negotiable. Turned out to be the horse of a lifetime.

Of course in the current economic environment I think that one on craigslist is very overpriced. Besides, most buyers are smart enough to shy away from such a horse, especially when they are honest enough to advertise the horse that way.

When I was horse hunting one trainer, in response to a question about his OTTB mare said "You don't want this horse. She's mean as a snake".

Quote Originally Posted by ProzacPuppy View Post
    When I was horse hunting one trainer, in response to a question about his OTTB mare said "You don't want this horse. She's mean as a snake".
    My father had a mare at the track injure herself quite seriously in her stall. With extensive veterinary help she might have recovered enough to be someone's trail horse. When my father asked his trainer what he would advise, the trainer said the same thing, "This horse is too mean to ever make a riding horse." My father also could have kept her as a broodmare, as she was quite well bred herself and was a pretty good racehorse, but the trainer said "You don't want to breed this one." They ended up putting her down.

My OTQH was deemed dangerous and a rearer by a trainer.....I have yet to have him even suggest he is even contemplating rearing. He has been given away twice now. But he is the horse of a lifetime for me. He had been written off as too hard to ride by several people including a pro-trainer. I am definitely not a pro and actually due to RA am pretty wimpy at times now and my horse and I get along great. We may not win every class we enter but we have fun and I feel safe on him.

So all that to say....a horse may rear and it doesn't mean they are a dangerous unrideable, unsafe rearer for life. It depends on the horse, their personality, your personality, and the situation that caused the horse to rear. Unless the horse has been given a chance and some decent training I would hesitate to write it off...maybe it is overpriced, but that doesn't mean it is worthless and dangerous. JMHO....have to admit though that is a hot topic for me since two of the horses I ride were said to be dangerous and "rearers" due to a bad trainer...
    My blog:

RAWR

$3500 does sound high for an OTTB with those "issues". Maybe they aren't in a hurry to sell?
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

Sounds like they could be selling it as breeding stock not riding stock. I would never breed a horse that had such nasty vices but some breeders may not mind if they have good bloodlines.

That is not as bad as: 20 year old TB mare, can't afford to keep her anymore, $100