The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default who runs an Un-Flagged Point to Point Race?

The Genesee Valley Hunt will be running its 125th Old Fashioned Point to Point
    in November.
    Our historian is trying to find any other place in the world that still has a Race
    like this----it's a Race across regular hunt country, the Start & Finish are secret
    'til the Riders line up for the Flag. The Riders are able to chose their own path
    with usually 2 check-points they have to go around.
    The Riders receive the instructions & the Flag is dropped---the Race is usually
    around 6 miles.
    The Riders are Hunt members that know the country well, are good riders on
    good horses!
    I think I remember some other places that mentioned running a Race like this---
    Could you check in? Or steer me to them?
    Thanks in advance,
    Ann

Does the old fashioned series in VA no longer occur? In my experience, start and finish were known but you could explore the terrain on foot the week before so as to figure your own secret route. A friend finished second at Piedmont one year- late 70s/early 80s- because a veteran whispered to her 'follow me' at the start, and she did. He had all sorts of short cuts, including places where he had weighted down barbed ware atop stone walls with rocks so as to make them more jumpable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Don't know but that sounds like awesome fun! Gonna put that on my long list of reasons why I want to retire on a farm around the Genesee area! (The first was when I saw their opening hunt ride through the village - I want to live near a town where that happens!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by awm View Post
    The Genesee Valley Hunt will be running its 125th Old Fashioned Point to Point
    in November.
    Our historian is trying to find any other place in the world that still has a Race
    like this----it's a Race across regular hunt country, the Start & Finish are secret
    'til the Riders line up for the Flag. The Riders are able to chose their own path
    with usually 2 check-points they have to go around.
    The Riders receive the instructions & the Flag is dropped---the Race is usually
    around 6 miles.
    The Riders are Hunt members that know the country well, are good riders on
    good horses!
    I think I remember some other places that mentioned running a Race like this---
    Could you check in? Or steer me to them?
    Thanks in advance,
    Ann

I do not know of any NoVa hunts that still do old fashioned's. I'm sure they do them in Britain. They used to do one in Tennessee (Hillsboro) and Kentucky when I was a kid.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Thanks for your replies-----

I'll see if I can check across the Pond.

Arcadien, the Race is awesome----it's the toughest Race we have here-
    The Genesee Valley Hunt Cup runs on a *groomed* field!
    Come on & visit us!

I believe Greenspring Valley in Maryland still runs one.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Not uncommon at all in the UK.

Green Spring Valley runs one in the Spring, close to the end of hunt season. Same with Howard County-Iron Bridge. Both are run a bit differently, but are fun.

I won Fastest Junior and Fastest Non-TB (2 different years) when I was a member of HCIBH.

Thumbs up

My father started and ran on for many years for Elkridge-Harford. It stopped sometime in the early 90's can't recall why. We always called it Dad's ciicus. One year we had 40 something strong setting off for a 3 panel fence at the start. Another yearstart and finish were the same you could go either way around. I remember jumping a panel one way with some one else coming the other. The course was available about 2 weeks before so one of the signs of spring were people walking all over the country trying to find short cuts. It was always said to be about 4 miles but many years it was closer to 6. My father also had a sense of humor about it instead of the traditional poker chips to be picked up at the check points ( to prove you had been there) heused lolly pops, long stemmed plastic flowers ( the year of 'flower power") and other oddities. It was tremendous fun and really tought you how to get a horse fit, find your way around the country event to jumping drainage ditches or a wire fence if it was shorter and/or how to get a tired horse home. Green Spring's has been and remained in existence longer though. It is also a lot of fun.

Thumbs up

My father started and ran on for many years for Elkridge-Harford. It stopped sometime in the early 90's can't recall why. We always called it Dad's ciicus. One year we had 40 something strong setting off for a 3 panel fence at the start. Another yearstart and finish were the same you could go either way around. I remember jumping a panel one way with some one else coming the other. The course was available about 2 weeks before so one of the signs of spring were people walking all over the country trying to find short cuts. It was always said to be about 4 miles but many years it was closer to 6. My father also had a sense of humor about it instead of the traditional poker chips to be picked up at the check points ( to prove you had been there) heused lolly pops, long stemmed plastic flowers ( the year of 'flower power") and other oddities. It was tremendous fun and really tought you how to get a horse fit, find your way around the country event to jumping drainage ditches or a wire fence if it was shorter and/or how to get a tired horse home. Green Spring's has been and remained in existence longer though. It is also a lot of fun. Feel free to PM me

Thanks for your answers!

Is there anyone from the Green Spring Valley here?
    Or from the Hillsboro in Tennesee?
    Or Howard Co/Iron Bridge?

So far, we haven't heard of another Old Fashioned that doesn't
    post the course ahead of time----
    The Scarteen in Ireland is supposed to have one---but I haven't
    found any details---yet!
    Thomas_1, do you have any more details????

I still need to research the Original Steeplechase in Ireland in 1752,
    in Co. Cork, which is reported to be the first!
    Last edited by awm; Feb. 14, 2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added a question

I'm a member of GSV.

Never run in theirs, but from my understanding, everyone is given the course the week before and given time to figure out the best course of action. I believe there are usually at least 2 check points. Fastest one back wins.

HCIBH lets everyone know the fixture ahead of time, but the points for the course are not announced until you are lined up on your horse. Each participant is given poker chips with their number on it. At each check point you have to drop off a chip with whoever is the "spotter." It's on the fly, and for who knows the country best based off the top of their head.

Any more details, feel free to PM me.

Smile Not sure but.....

OK my northern Va. friends....didn't Orange County and Rappahannock Hunts do these kinds of old fashioneds? I coulda swore they did....
    You could try contacting those hunts. And I'm almost sure that Ex-MFH Joe Kincheloe of Bull Run Hunt won a buncha them. Try contacting him too.
    Just my humble suggestions!

Those Va. hunts *did* do OF's but I believe, now, they *don't.* Too bad. It'd'a been fun (on the right horse.)
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    OK my northern Va. friends....didn't Orange County and Rappahannock Hunts do these kinds of old fashioneds? I coulda swore they did....
    You could try contacting those hunts. And I'm almost sure that Ex-MFH Joe Kincheloe of Bull Run Hunt won a buncha them. Try contacting him too.
    Just my humble suggestions!
    Yes, Piedmont had one too. I recall Joe winning a lot of the fast time pair races, and the point to point series at least once way back when.

Default These replies are great!

The HC/IB sounds just like ours!

I'll try Joe----- I remember seeing his name countess times, esp. winning
    the Fast Time Hunter Paces!

It is too bad that the Race doesn't continue at the Hunts, it is a blast &
    really tests the mettle of rider & horse!

Our Master Martha Wadsworth has won ours 12 times thru the years, she
    is still whipping-in at 78!

SteeleRdr, I'm sending you a pm, thanks!

How about team chasing, does ANY place do that?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

There are team chases. Or well, at least one. See Maryland Steeplechasings website. Fox Hall Farm Team Chase is held every year.

Default team chases

Carol A, do you mean the team races where the Teams of 4 went together
    over the course & the 3rd rider recorded the placing time? And sometimes
    the Teams went a second time, reversing the course? Then the average
    Team time was the score used?
    Or, the Team Relay, where the riders run one at a time against the
    other Team's riders, in a relay race, passing a hunt whip as the baton?
    It's a huge competition in England & Ireland, the team riders run against
    each other on a Mirror course, passing the whip or baton in a designated
    area. The different Hunts have teams.

We used to have a couple Team Chases in our area, but haven't had them
    in years----they were great fun!

The Team Relay is alive & well in Maryland, as Steelerdr reports. There
    might still be some in Virginia----
    We come down to the Maryland Hunt Cup every April & try to get there
    in time to watch the Team Relay at the Hunt Cup Course. It's great to
    see former timber horses in the competition!

Quote Originally Posted by awm View Post

The Team Relay is alive & well in Maryland, as Steelerdr reports. There
    might still be some in Virginia----
    We come down to the Maryland Hunt Cup every April & try to get there
    in time to watch the Team Relay at the Hunt Cup Course. It's great to
    see former timber horses in the competition!
    Team Relays AND Team Chases.

Foxhall runs all on it's own, and is the first meet on the MD Steeplechasing Calendar. The Team Relays will coincide with a race meet. This year, I believe there will only be relays at HCIBH, EHHC, My Lady's Manor, and Marlborough. One is one the flat, One is over two jumps/mostly flat, and the other two are mirror-image courses.